Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

How much are you willing to sacrifice for your addicted loved one?

How much are you willing to sacrifice for your addicted loved one?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sometimes our signature is what helps us sleep at night, or helps us get to the next day, or is a function of our belief system.

I don't know what the quote means to the one who wrote it but when I read it, I was reminded of this passage I read recently which has helped me to cope:

An old story is told about a woman who experienced a similar sense of futility. “Why?” she pleaded with God. “Why don’t you do something about the pain and the misery?” Her questions are our questions. Her answer is our answer. As she walked through the streets of the city, searching for answers to the questions that gave her no rest, the seeker was surrounded by the destitute, the downtrodden, the drunk, and the crippled. Filled with a great, crushing sadness, she fell to her knees and cried out, “Oh my God, where are you? Surely you must see the pain and misery suffered by so many in this world you have created. Why do you do nothing to help them?” A great silence descended, and the seeker was filled with fear and wonder as she waited for a response. When the answer came, she was prepared. “I did do something. I made you.”

We have an obligation, as human beings, to do what we can to ease the suffering of others. This is not superficial charity or the work of do-gooders—this is our responsibility as individuals who are part of a larger community. When a fellow human being is in pain, we are called upon to do what we can to alleviate the suffering. When people are powerless to help themselves, we are asked to do what we can to assist. When we are presented with an opportunity to change what does not work and in the process save even one life, it is our duty to seize the moment with all the passion that we can muster.

Ketcham, Katherine; Asbury, William F.; Schulstad, Mel; Ciaramicoli, Arthur P. (2009-10-21). Beyond the Influence: Understanding and Defeating Alcoholism (p. 298).
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How much have you sacrificed for the sake of your addicted loved one?

$10K+.

Are you willing to sacrifice more?

No.

Are you willing to sacrifice everything?

No.

Do you agree or disagree with the quote above?

Non Sequitor.A value laden statement of no
operational value to me.

Has your "sacrifice" helped your loved one find recovery?

No.Not at all.Not even a little.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've spent the past few hours thinking of the replies in this thread. Perhaps I have come to the wrong place. Thank you to those who have understood and helped me.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

An old story is told about a woman who experienced a similar sense of futility. “Why?” she pleaded with God. “Why don’t you do something about the pain and the misery?” Her questions are our questions. Her answer is our answer. As she walked through the streets of the city, searching for answers to the questions that gave her no rest, the seeker was surrounded by the destitute, the downtrodden, the drunk, and the crippled. Filled with a great, crushing sadness, she fell to her knees and cried out, “Oh my God, where are you? Surely you must see the pain and misery suffered by so many in this world you have created. Why do you do nothing to help them?” A great silence descended, and the seeker was filled with fear and wonder as she waited for a response. When the answer came, she was prepared. “I did do something. I made you.”

We have an obligation, as human beings, to do what we can to ease the suffering of others. This is not superficial charity or the work of do-gooders—this is our responsibility as individuals who are part of a larger community. When a fellow human being is in pain, we are called upon to do what we can to alleviate the suffering. When people are powerless to help themselves, we are asked to do what we can to assist. When we are presented with an opportunity to change what does not work and in the process save even one life, it is our duty to seize the moment with all the passion that we can muster.

Ketcham, Katherine; Asbury, William F.; Schulstad, Mel; Ciaramicoli, Arthur P. (2009-10-21). Beyond the Influence: Understanding and Defeating Alcoholism (p. 298).

Specs ... this is from the King James 2000 Bible:

And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.

It says you shall love your neighbour AS yourself .. not more than, not less than .. but AS. When we put others before ourselves, especially when we do it consistently, trouble surely follows.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think this thread has run its course and am closing it as the focus has changed. Thank you for understanding.