Would Love Mama Experience, Strength, Hope

Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would Love Mama Experience, Strength, Hope

I am a mom and grandma. Probably one or more of my children is alcoholic, but the person whose situation has me in a bad space, at the moment, is my grandson. I was surrogate mom to him. I feel very connected to him. I believe we have karma.

He was born at a time when I was willing to take on a "project," so I recognize that my assistance to him, over the years, was something that helped both of us.

I do not resonate with "wanting to keep the alcoholic sick" so I can have a job. He is 19 and when he turned 18, I was breathing a sigh of relief, thinking my job with him had drawn to a close. I am in my sixties and I am completely exhausted.

I have a bunch of questions for those of you who have experience, strength, and hope to share in any of these areas:

I have a thread over on the F&F of A's side, where I try to note what I am doing to be healthy on a daily basis http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-healthy.html

Today I am exhausted . . . I have been thinking about him night and day - wondering, hoping, worrying . . .I feel like I would like to sleep forever . . .

I feel so tied to his journey and would like some relief from this - feeling tied to his journey makes me feel like a victim when things are not going well . . .

How do any of you manage to live a life free from worry and fear (if you do) . . .

Let me state here that I do not go to meetings - did that for years and am not into it . . . I am trying to NOT have my life defined by addiction . . .trying to find relief from that.

I realize this is a spiritual journey, I am just so tired. How do you cope with long-term stress?

I am amazed by some of your stories of strength . . .

I know I have aged ten years in the last year . . .I do try to have healthy practices - I take vitamins, eat healthy, get massages, pray . . .I do not have a support group except online . . .my family has crumbled through the trauma so there is no support there - in fact, they have been abusive to me ("The Blame Game - I became the Scapegoat for some reason, which was very painful . . .)

Anything you can offer will be much appreciated.

I feel like I need an exorcism or lobotomy to not think about this problem night and day.
    Old 09-01-2012, 03:46 PM
      # 2 (permalink)  

In my case, I obsessed and worried and tried to control until I was half-crazy.
    Then I threw up my hands, said **** it, and gave it to God.
    It sounds flip. It sounds too simple. But that's the way it was with me.
    You stop because you really, truly get that you have no control.
    You are powerless.
    And then, God steps in.
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:14 PM
      # 3 (permalink)  
    Ann
    Nature Girl

I am one of the posse of mamas here and wanted to welcome you but may not have much to suggest.

Meetings, for me, were what saved my life...literally. Until I began going to meetings and working the 12 steps that gave me my life back I was an exhausted, neurotic mess, completely obsessed with saving my son from his addiction...something that was not mine to save.

I learned to set boundaries and stick to them. I learned to stop believing lies because I so very much wanted them to be true, and I learned that the only person who could save me, was me, with God's help.

I found my faith one day when I just could not go on living the way I was. It was that day I surrendered, gave my son's care to God and today I say a prayer every morning and continue to turn it all over to Him. It was that day that I stopped living in the problem of my son's addiction and began living in the solution of my recovery.

I can't tell you how to find what I have today, peace and joy and a life filled with adventure, we each have to walk our own path and find our own way. All I can tell you is that there is hope for every one of us and we don't have to live in the darkness of addiction.

Take a good read around. The Sticky threads at the top of this forum are filled with good readings and information that may be helpful to you.

I hope you find the support you are seeking here.

Hugs
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:17 PM
      # 4 (permalink)  

seek, all I can do is share a bit of my story:

How do you TRUST your higher power? What do you tell yourself?
    My faith has been strengthened/renewed through the 13 years my 27yo son has been an addict. I wish I had started reading my own AA women's daily meditations, Melody Beatty's The Language of Letting Go, Bible studies, etc. on a DAILY basis many years ago. You don't sound like you are in denial like I was when my son was 18. It's taken me about 3 years to come to a place where I feel pretty darned strong and centered. I had a slip up last week-end over a car title note he took out, but I regrouped very quickly with help of the wise Mamas here.

How do you keep the focus on yourself when there is drama & trauma?
    Again, I wish I had kept the focus on myself many years earlier. But, I make a commitment to nurture myself: walks with my partner; little weekend trips; took up a jewelry making hobby; continue to read, read, read; be the best I can be at work. If I don't take care of MYSELF, I am exhausted and I become sick with worry.

How do you deal with your resentments? How do you process them?
    Again,a long process. But, I have come to truly know that all any person can do is what he/she feels is best AT THE TIME. That gives me room to forgive myself, my son's father, and any other "perceived" hurts. It feels so good to let it all go.

How do you let go of wanting "what's good" for the other person?
    I never ever let go of wanting what is good for my AS. However, the difference now is what I think is good for him may not be what he thinks is good for him and it is certainly not on my timeline! But, wanting another person to feel at peace, and to be healthy and safe is a compassionate way to live in the world. Those are my prayers.

How do you let go of being a victim?
    I have no story here as I have never felt like a victim.
    How do you ever think of anything besides "the problem"?
    I have good days and worse days. But, again, having faith in a higher power, going to church and being spiritually renewed weekly fills my heart with hope and love. Also, daily meditations and readings. Taking care of myself. Appreciating my career and doing my best at it. But, I have to be honest and say that my AS is always in my heart. It doesn't hurt as much now that I have REALLY given up the dream that I could love him into wholeness. All I can do is visualize him wearing a soft cloak of love everyday from me and soft cozy slippers provided by the loving universal God.

With compassion,

Peaceandgrace
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:25 PM
      # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    I am one of the posse of mamas here and wanted to welcome you but may not have much to suggest.

Meetings, for me, were what saved my life...literally. Until I began going to meetings and working the 12 steps that gave me my life back I was an exhausted, neurotic mess, completely obsessed with saving my son from his addiction...something that was not mine to save.

I learned to set boundaries and stick to them. I learned to stop believing lies because I so very much wanted them to be true, and I learned that the only person who could save me, was me, with God's help.

I found my faith one day when I just could not go on living the way I was. It was that day I surrendered, gave my son's care to God and today I say a prayer every morning and continue to turn it all over to Him. It was that day that I stopped living in the problem of my son's addiction and began living in the solution of my recovery.

I can't tell you how to find what I have today, peace and joy and a life filled with adventure, we each have to walk our own path and find our own way. All I can tell you is that there is hope for every one of us and we don't have to live in the darkness of addiction.

Take a good read around. The Sticky threads at the top of this forum are filled with good readings and information that may be helpful to you.

I hope you find the support you are seeking here.

Hugs
    If I may ask, what is your morning prayer? Thank you for your warm welcome. I really appreciate it.
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
      # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaceandgrace View Post
    seek, all I can do is share a bit of my story:

How do you TRUST your higher power? What do you tell yourself?
    My faith has been strengthened/renewed through the 13 years my 27yo son has been an addict. I wish I had started reading my own AA women's daily meditations, Melody Beatty's The Language of Letting Go, Bible studies, etc. on a DAILY basis many years ago. You don't sound like you are in denial like I was when my son was 18. It's taken me about 3 years to come to a place where I feel pretty darned strong and centered. I had a slip up last week-end over a car title note he took out, but I regrouped very quickly with help of the wise Mamas here.

Again, I wish I had kept the focus on myself many years earlier. But, I make a commitment to nurture myself: walks with my partner; little weekend trips; took up a jewelry making hobby; continue to read, read, read; be the best I can be at work. If I don't take care of MYSELF, I am exhausted and I become sick with worry.

How do you deal with your resentments? How do you process them?
    Again,a long process. But, I have come to truly know that all any person can do is what he/she feels is best AT THE TIME. That gives me room to forgive myself, my son's father, and any other "perceived" hurts. It feels so good to let it all go.

How do you let go of wanting "what's good" for the other person?
    I never ever let go of wanting what is good for my AS. However, the difference now is what I think is good for him may not be what he thinks is good for him and it is certainly not on my timeline! But, wanting another person to feel at peace, and to be healthy and safe is a compassionate way to live in the world. Those are my prayers.

How do you let go of being a victim?
    I have no story here as I have never felt like a victim.
    How do you ever think of anything besides "the problem"?
    I have good days and worse days. But, again, having faith in a higher power, going to church and being spiritually renewed weekly fills my heart with hope and love. Also, daily meditations and readings. Taking care of myself. Appreciating my career and doing my best at it. But, I have to be honest and say that my AS is always in my heart. It doesn't hurt as much now that I have REALLY given up the dream that I could love him into wholeness. All I can do is visualize him wearing a soft cloak of love everyday from me and soft cozy slippers provided by the loving universal God.

With compassion,

Peaceandgrace
    Thank you, so much. I think I can beef up the daily readings . . .thank you for the reminder. I have so many tools. I am trying to develop good daily habits. I have made a lot of progress.

I am praying for insight, willingness, surrender, protection, etc. I need a lot of assistance!
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
      # 7 (permalink)  
    Ann
    Nature Girl

It's not a formal prayer, but each morning I thank God for another beautiful day, ask Him to watch over my son wherever he is (my son has been missing for 8 years) and I ask Him to guide me through the day, giving me courage if I become afraid and for compassion for those I meet on my journey. And I thank Him for my many many blessings.

And then I embrace the day with gratitude and faith, knowing that I will be led to wherever I am supposed to go in life.

I work part time and spend a lot of time in nature, as a hobby photographer and hobby birder, and spend winters in Florida with my husband, where we go to many nature preserves, trudge the Everglades and explore the barrier islands.

This is more than you asked for, lol, but it's all part of what keeps me sane today. Hope it helps you a little too.

Hugs
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM
      # 8 (permalink)  

seek, good DAILY habits is my key. I do a morning meditation (using prayer beads I made myself) that consists of touchstone beads to go through the following:

asking for the patience of Job
    saying the serenity prayer
    asking for compassion/patience/simplicity
    giving praises of gratitude
    seeking forgiveness
    focusing on areas where I can improve
    saying prayers for myself, then for someone neutral (I am amazed at the random names I come up with), then for someone I really don't like or am struggling with (this has been one of the biggest changes in my life..I find my relations with these people improving), and for people I am worried about (my AS is ALWAYS here), and finally I pray for world peace

I end up with asking for compassion/patience/simplicity, saying the serenity prayer and asking for the patience of Job

This is a real cobbling together but I can tell a difference when I don't start the day this way.

Before the beads, I read daily AA for women readings, The Language of Letting Go daily readings, and am now reading Brian McLaren's Naked Spirituality (WOWOWOWOW).

Just my way. There must be so many more wonderful ways for us Mamas to find our spiritual center.

With compassion,

Peaceandgrace
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 PM
      # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
    It's not a formal prayer, but each morning I thank God for another beautiful day, ask Him to watch over my son wherever he is (my son has been missing for 8 years) and I ask Him to guide me through the day, giving me courage if I become afraid and for compassion for those I meet on my journey. And I thank Him for my many many blessings.

And then I embrace the day with gratitude and faith, knowing that I will be led to wherever I am supposed to go in life.

I work part time and spend a lot of time in nature, as a hobby photographer and hobby birder, and spend winters in Florida with my husband, where we go to many nature preserves, trudge the Everglades and explore the barrier islands.

This is more than you asked for, lol, but it's all part of what keeps me sane today. Hope it helps you a little too.

Hugs
    I admire your faith. Thank you so much for sharing. It helps me. I am sending blessings to you and your family, even as I type. Thank you.
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:42 PM
      # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaceandgrace View Post
    seek, good DAILY habits is my key. I do a morning meditation (using prayer beads I made myself) that consists of touchstone beads to go through the following:

asking for the patience of Job
    saying the serenity prayer
    asking for compassion/patience/simplicity
    giving praises of gratitude
    seeking forgiveness
    focusing on areas where I can improve
    saying prayers for myself, then for someone neutral (I am amazed at the random names I come up with), then for someone I really don't like or am struggling with (this has been one of the biggest changes in my life..I find my relations with these people improving), and for people I am worried about (my AS is ALWAYS here), and finally I pray for world peace

I end up with asking for compassion/patience/simplicity, saying the serenity prayer and asking for the patience of Job

This is a real cobbling together but I can tell a difference when I don't start the day this way.

Before the beads, I read daily AA for women readings, The Language of Letting Go daily readings, and am now reading Brian McLaren's Naked Spirituality (WOWOWOWOW).

Just my way. There must be so many more wonderful ways for us Mamas to find our spiritual center.

With compassion,

Peaceandgrace
    What a wonderful daily practice. I need to do something formal like this. Thank you so much for sharing YOUR practice! It sounds amazing.
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 PM
      # 11 (permalink)  

I found this helpful:

Playing the Victim - Free With EFT - YouTube
    Old 09-01-2012, 05:10 PM
      # 12 (permalink)  

Playing the Victim - Tapping with Brad Yates - YouTube
    Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 PM
      # 13 (permalink)  

Daily meditation and prayer, daily reading (Language of Letting Go is a personal favorite) and music. I listen to music that makes my heart happy (Latin guitar music--Jesse Cook's "Mario takes a walk" is an example of what I love or anything by Rodrigo y Gabriella--love their "Diablo Rojo").

I dance. After my shower.....while I'm getting dressed.......I turn the music up LOUD and I DANCE. You've heard the saying "dance like no one is watching". Well I dance and I sure HOPE no one is watching because I really let it GO! It makes me laugh and I start my day in a joyful way.

My son is out there somewhere. He is on his journey. I don't know who or what he might come into contact with on that journey. But I trust that his Higher Power is walking with him and my love is always with him. I think of him often but I seldom obsess. I pray for him daily and let go.

I try to live each day to its fullest and stay mindful of what is going on around me. Resentment? The best way to overcome it is to acknowledge it and offset it with five things I'm grateful for....usually works for me.

gentle hugs
    ke
    Old 09-01-2012, 05:52 PM
      # 14 (permalink)  

I also keep this beautiful song tucked away in my heart and mind most days:

Change My Heart Oh God - Vineyard - with Lyrics - YouTube

With compassion,

Peaceandgrace
    Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 PM
      # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
    Daily meditation and prayer, daily reading (Language of Letting Go is a personal favorite) and music. I listen to music that makes my heart happy (Latin guitar music--Jesse Cook's "Mario takes a walk" is an example of what I love or anything by Rodrigo y Gabriella--love their "Diablo Rojo").

I dance. After my shower.....while I'm getting dressed.......I turn the music up LOUD and I DANCE. You've heard the saying "dance like no one is watching". Well I dance and I sure HOPE no one is watching because I really let it GO! It makes me laugh and I start my day in a joyful way.

My son is out there somewhere. He is on his journey. I don't know who or what he might come into contact with on that journey. But I trust that his Higher Power is walking with him and my love is always with him. I think of him often but I seldom obsess. I pray for him daily and let go.

I try to live each day to its fullest and stay mindful of what is going on around me. Resentment? The best way to overcome it is to acknowledge it and offset it with five things I'm grateful for....usually works for me.

gentle hugs
    ke
    This is very inspirational . . .that you have such joy and faith is really amazing. I will try the dancing but I hope I don't scare my dog!
    Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM
      # 16 (permalink)  

I will try the dancing but I hope I don't scare my dog!
    Yeah.....my dogs look at me a little strange......but who are THEY to judge.......you should see what they do when I come home! Dance like your dog does when you come home!
    gentle hugs
    ke
    Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 AM
      # 17 (permalink)  

OK........I dunno how to say this.......

( but I danced !!)

......dog took one look......eyes got big

........and out the door!

........haven't seen her since.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Old 09-02-2012, 03:14 AM
      # 18 (permalink)  
    Ann
    Nature Girl

Vale!! I'll bet it was La Bamba!
    Old 09-02-2012, 07:37 AM
      # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seek View Post

I remove myself from situations that trend drama/trauma. That's my boundary and I am sticking to it.

Back when I was up to my eyeballs in my daughter's situation and life I obsessed about her, her choices and potential outcomes.

I obtained measurable relief ( detachment) from situations that I had previously allowed to tramatize me in EMDR therapy.
    Old 09-02-2012, 08:00 AM
      # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vale View Post
    OK........I dunno how to say this.......

( but I danced !!)

......dog took one look......eyes got big

........and out the door!

........haven't seen her since.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.
    Dancing felt good though.....didn't it Vale? Hope you find your dog soon and that she isn't overly traumatized by your gyrations. Next time maybe.....when she hears the music turned up, she'll exit before the dancing commences!

gentle hugs
    ke