Having Faith

Old 09-01-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Having Faith

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.
—Sir Rabindranath Tagore

In the darkness of early morning, the bird outside the window begins to sing. Soon the eastern sky turns pink. The bird continues singing until the first yellow rays warm its soft wings. Then it flies away, not returning to the window until the next morning.

We can learn from the small bird how to have faith. We don't need to wait for something we want before having faith we'll get it. We can begin to show our faith by celebrating the things we usually take for granted. After all, when we take something for granted, isn't that a selfish form of faith? We can start by singing a song to celebrate the new day. A day that will warm our hearts and shed light on our actions. Like the bird's faith in the sunrise, we need only to have faith that God meant each day to enrich our lives.

What faith can I celebrate right now?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation
Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This reading jumped out at me this morning because my signature line from Tagore is part of it, and I have been thinking a lot about faith lately.

Before recovery I thought faith was like a "wish list" and that I should receive that which I requested if I just had enough faith.

I have learned that faith isn't like that, that it is more the courage in my heart that knows things will unfold exactly as they should, and even if the outcome doesn't suit me, it is for good reason and all is well.

I have learned that faith required work on my part, that I must face the light and endeavour to make things possible for my future...then trust and accept the outcome. The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous says "Faith without works is dead" and I believe that simply believing is not enough.

I wear a pendant around my neck that had engraved upon it "Hope" "Believe" "Rejoice"...which reminds me that I can follow my dreams if I believe enough in myself and am willing to do the work necessary.

Just a little talk about faith today, because in my darker days I could not find faith, nor hope and today they are candles that burn in my heart right next to the candle called "love".

Hugs
Old 09-01-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautiful post to wake up to this morning Ann. Thank you.

Faith.....and acceptance are at the core of my recovery. Thank you for sharing.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 09-01-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

". . . things will unfold exactly as they should."

Thank you for this especially. I believe true spirituality is acceptance of what is happening at this moment on this day in time, and believing there is divine purpose in it.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that my life is not just about serving my needs and wants. That there will be times in my life when God sees fit to make use of me to work in someone else's life. And I may not be aware that this is happening. But sometimes, we are in a place and time when we are--in some way which is not apparent to us-- serving the spiritual growth of another person. And this can be happening under very painful circumstances.

Every thread is part of a much larger fabric. I believe that only God, as I understand God, understands the whole piece.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ann. I need a daily reminder. I hear people talking about "God Moments", but never really felt a connection to that, though I've always practiced the faith.

But two days ago, it was an unusually horrible day with my AS - mainly through texting and phone calls. He wanted to go with me to fill his scripts, but I knew what he really wanted was to jump out of the car at a trafffic light to make it closer to his contacts or try to force me to drive there. I couldn't be near him, so I went alone.

He was furious and in withdrawals. He said the most horrible things to me about taking his life, making a video for me to watch, blaming me and cursing. (He hasn't gotten over the fact I called police last November to our house when he was disoriented.) It was the worst ever.

I kept the radio off almost the entire trip, but when I turned it on during the return trip, I landed almost immediately on a station that had a man praying. He was praying for parents of adult children who are living an unacceptable lifestyle on drugs or whatever, and for those parents to release those adult children and trust God. Then he offered a free book on oveercoming anxiety, which I ordered.

I was stunned. If ever I did feel a God-Moment, it was then. And since that moment, I have felt an ability to let go a little further. I haven't talked with AS since then. I don't even feel the same. Don't know what another day will bring, but for today, I'm trusting my God-Moment. Maybe we should start a thread of God-Moments!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Maybe you should Washbe, you might be surprised how many of us have had them.

It is something that cannot be explained, but I know when I pulled off the highway in tears (after dragging my son from a crack house) and told God I could not do one more day like that, something changed in me, not just a feeling of immediate relief but something bigger than that and it has been with me ever since. Maybe it's called "faith". Whatever it is, I am so grateful that God touched my heart and took away my burdens...right there on highway 401.

God moments happen when we finally open our hearts to it. God is patient and I think He waits until we are ready...and boy, was I ready!

Hugs