naranon meeting question

Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

naranon meeting question

I have attended many naranon meetings, but I have a few questions.

1) What are people talking about after the meetings? I'm never sure what to say to people afterwards. I feel weird for just leaving right after, but I'm not sure what to say.

2) What is the best way to find a sponser? Just pick off the list or try and meet someone first and see if you "click"?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Never been to a naranon meeting, but I'd suggest asking these 2 questions at one of the meetings and see what they tell you.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some of the best conversations occur after the meetings. I have formed close friendships just from sticking around talking. It may feel a little awkward at first but usually someone will make an effort to talk with you if you stand there for a few minutes.

After the meeting is a great time to "interview" potential sponsors. You can just ask someone off the list. Sponsors (speaking for myself anyway) don't take it personally if you decide that it isn't working out well for you. Also, don't take it personally if a sponsor says that they can't at that time. Some sponsors have many sponsees and they may want to limit it so that they can give their current sponsees the time and attention they need.

Keep going back! My Nar-Anon friends are very dear to me and I would always love to have more! I'll bet others feel the same way!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

People usually talk more in depth about the topic, their recent experiences of life or it can just be social. Anyone is always welcomed to join in the conversations.

I was told to sit and listen for a few meetings and pick someone I think I would click with. The hard part is you have to ask them. Well, that was the hard part for me.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i did exactly what love did and befriended a woman whose husband is addicted to crack. we have a lot of the same experiences. we call each other often and have had coffee. i have notice it being easier to just go up to people after the meeting as well...after I attended a few. everyone seems to be open to talking...we all have the same issues and it is good to talk to others who can relate.

9 times out of 10...they are just as nervous as we are.