SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   So Much Sadness (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/266575-so-much-sadness.html)

gurlie214 08-28-2012 05:56 AM

So Much Sadness

Good Morning Everyone,
I have been absent for a little while. To be honest, I had to take a break from the obsession of "a life revolving around addiction". It seems like everything I do, everywhere I go, every thought I have has to do with my RAH or someone's AS or AD or AH. It is rampant and honestly, seems to be getting worse, more widespread. Addiction is no respecter of persons, is it? No family is exempt. I have been surrounded by it all of my life as my father was a hardcore alcoholic (I guess he always will be), but he recovered 33 years ago and never ever touched it again! Suffice it to say, it was always a topic of conversation growing up b/c we were predisposed genetically, etc. etc. I used to get so tired of hearing about it.......yet here I sit at 40 and I'm still talking about it! Anyway, after logging in yesterday and reading about CanfixONLYme's AH passing away, Bobcat2000 losing her daughter due to an intoxicated driver, and lisabr's brother's overdose, I just had to reach out and say I am so sorry for all of the pain. I wish so much that I could do something to take it away, and I am always, always here to listen and be a shoulder to cry on. I mean that. if anyone ever needs someone to listen! I just want you all to know that! We are all in this together. I am so sorry so many of you are hurting. :( Love, Catherine

Lara 08-28-2012 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by gurlie214 (Post 3552485)
....yet here I sit at 40 and I'm still talking about it! Anyway, after logging in yesterday and reading about CanfixONLYme's AH passing away, Bobcat2000 losing her daughter due to an intoxicated driver, and lisabr's brother's overdose, I just had to reach out and say I am so sorry for all of the pain. I wish so much that I could do something to take it away, and I am always, always here to listen and be a shoulder to cry on. I mean that. if anyone ever needs someone to listen! I just want you all to know that! We are all in this together. I am so sorry so many of you are hurting. :( Love, Catherine

Oh gosh I know how you feel... I was very active on this forum for weeks - and feel sometimes I just need a break. It can become all consuming which is not healthy either! I also grew up with an alcoholic dad and it was all we spoke about!!! Either Dad was not drinking or Dad was drinking and our lives moved in these circles! And YES - Still talking about it aged 38!!!
But thank you for your kind words to everyone here!

peaceandgrace 08-28-2012 07:20 AM

gurlie 214, lovely thoughts. I thank you! Yes, addiction is a national scourge isn't it?

My prayers are also going out asking for peace and comfort to all of us who love those with addictions.

LoveMeNow 08-28-2012 08:27 AM

oh boy, I understand the need for a break. I even started dreaming about it and I was addict. ughhhh

But it's also the sickness of codependency that really depresses me. Looking in the mirror can be very painful at times.

Ilovemysonjj 08-28-2012 10:00 AM

Thank you for the kind thoughts. We all agree, addiction drains us of joy and peace but I also am SOOOOOO thankful for communities like this and our local face to face support systems that help us understand we are not alone.
TT

HowCouldYou 08-28-2012 10:57 AM

I just wanted to say thank you for this post. I can totally relate and I believe we all can. Reading all that there is on here is draining. I come on here when I need to know that I am not alone in the struggle with an addicted loved one. Its hard to deal with this ever looming black cloud around my head and to still act like everything is okay on the outside.

Ann 08-28-2012 04:04 PM

These are sad times right now, for so many here who have recently lost loved ones. I too was feeling overwhelmed and then I thought about it and decided that if it overwhelmed me, I cannot even imagine the pain those who have lost loved ones are suffering.

If I can offer even a little comfort to those in pain, if I can help one person make it through the darkness of death...then it's all worthwhile.

SR is a growing site, and with more members there will come more sadness...but also more success, more recovery and more courage.

When I was in my darkest days, those here held their candles of light until I could find my own again. Today we all share our light and help each other...that's what this program is all about -one codie helping another.

Love and hugs to all of you today, to those who suffer and to those who comfort...we are all walking together here and I am grateful for this path.

Hugs

washbe2 08-28-2012 05:22 PM

It truly looks like there has been more sadness lately and more people on the site. That in itself is sad that it has to be that way. But thank goodness for this site to give all an opportunity to vent, cry, question, and learn! We all need a break from time to time, but like it is said in group, "Keep coming back!"

CanfixONLYme 08-28-2012 10:44 PM

This site has literally saved me on numerous occasions - when It seems as though my "normie" friends and family just didn't (and still don't) get it...

For the most, I find amazing people here who genuinely want to support and that made the world of difference for me. I sign on to read many peoples stories, send out a prayer or two and try to offer my own words of support when I can.

Thank you wonderful people of SR. This indeed is a safe port from the turbulent seas out there. xoxoxo

crazybabie 08-29-2012 10:25 AM

The sad events were bothering me as well I started to stay away for awhile and it dawned on me that by staying I could help comfort my SR, friends who have lost their loved ones as well as flip it to remind myself this, is why I need to detach, not enable, let them head toward their bottom whatever it may be.