I have an addiction question....

Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I have an addiction question....

I was told that for the first 90 days of an addicts recovery, you are still talking to the drug. What happens after 90 days? I am confused by this statement. Could someone please try and help me understand it.

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still Standing

From my personal experience with my AS, all I can say is that their mind is still rearranged. They still have the effects of drugs. When my son was in SAFP, I would go & visit him on the weekends. One weekend he would be talking clearer & I would feel better about him, then the next weekend, he would be different again & talking more like he did while using or coming down. This happened several times before I realized what was happening. I tried to remember that so that I wouldn't get so upset when he seemed to have a setback in how he was thinking & talking. It takes the 90 days or up to a year for the drugs to completely leave them mentally & emotionally.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Since it takes 1-2 years of continued abstinence for the brain to heal as much as it’s going to, I think that statement is hooey and sounds like something that originated at a for-profit 90 day rehab.
I thought it took 7 yrs to heal the brain. Not sure where I got my information though.

Wonder how long until my minds heals?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LMN, I was thinking the same thing myself... how about us? What about our brains? I'm going to be hopeful on this one that it's sooner than later as I am hopeful for all persons (addicts, enablers and such), to be well one day.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Every one heals at a different rate.

For me, my brain fog from drinking and using lasted a full 6 months before I was able to really start 'taking' the steps of AA, but I kept going all that time. By about 2 years I was actually making some 'good' decisions some of the time, lol

Now when at 3 years I started working on my codependency in Alanon, there again it seemed like I went into a 'brain fog', but by about 4 months in Alanon I was able to start focusing on 'that problem' and again 'taking' the steps.

At 6 years sober and clean, and 3 years in Alanon I filed for Divorce (we lived in Nevada) and since it was a 'no fault' divorce it was granted 1 month and 3 days later.

I too, believe that 90 day crap came from some treatment program.

I am not sure about what they say in NA, but I know in AA, when someone takes a 1 year cake, many will then tell them, myself included:

"Now the work really begins!"

In other words, if they manage to get that 1 year Anniversary, now there is really something there for their sponsor to work with, lol and in many cases I have seen this, and with my own sponsees this is so very true. Also for my Alanon sponsees.

So ...................... KEEP TRUDGIN (((((LMN))))) you'll get there, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the 90 day thing is a bunch of crap. The "drug" has long since left the system but the damage/changes of the drug remain.

Yes, there is brain healing over the next few years in terms of receptors reappearing and "normalizing" and neurochemicals stabilizing. There is even healing that occurs in the brain structures. HOWEVER...the thought that the "old" person is going to reappear is inaccurate. There is a new normal.

So much of what makes a difference is actually working a recovery program. And that takes a long time - but it works.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love Me Not:

I remember back when, when I realized my obsession for information/nuance about drugs and recovery were things I did to keep me hooked on my daughter and her addiction instead of focusing on what I controlled- my own reactions, especially to people, places and things I did not control.

Just sayin....
Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

90 is just a number. Having any expectation of what is to happen at 90 days is simply setting yourself up for disappointment. Let go let God (I have a sneaking suspicion that 90 days is not significant in God's timeline.)

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The HBO documentary series titled "Addiction" is still available for online viewing. I really learned a LOT about the physiology of addiction and the most current theories for treatment. Very interesting. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember they said it takes a MINIMUM of 90 days for the brain to even START to rebuild/re-route the pleasure pathways created by drug use.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Thank you all for your responses!!

The reason I ask is because my therapist said to consider marital counseling after he was a minimum of 90 days clean. And because I suffer from CRS now, I can't remember the reason for it and I am afraid I will forget to ask her again.

Cynical, Not funny, TRUE, but not funny!! lol
Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For some reason quote is not working...By tjp
The HBO documentary series titled "Addiction" is still available for online viewing. I really learned a LOT about the physiology of addiction and the most current theories for treatment. Very interesting. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember they said it takes a MINIMUM of 90 days for the brain to even START to rebuild/re-route the pleasure pathways created by drug use.

I went and checked this out of my library I have seen volume 1 the other 3 are still out.