Very sad day

Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very sad day

I have had a girlfriend since junior high school. That was back in the mid 1970s. She and I have remained friends through the years - sometimes months go by before we talk, but we always pick up right where we left off. I love her dearly. We have supported each other over the last few years by knowing what it's like to be the mom of a drug addict. Many hours over coffee trying to think of ways to save our sons.

She found her 21-year old son OD'd in her basement this morning, a syringe and spoon nearby. A mother's worst nightmare. He had been clean since May. No indication of any relapse prior to this. They had been to a family party earlier in the night, returned home at 10:30, and all seemed fine.

The pain in my friend's eyes is unbelievable. I just wanted to hold her and cry with her. There are no answers, nothing to say. How will she and her 23-year old daughter ever get through this?

I'm not asking for answers, because I know there aren't any. I'm just asking the mom posse and all the other good people on SR to hold my friend in your heart and pray for her. Man I hate drugs.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for yr friend, her family and everyone who knew and loved her son.
Prayers for you too DJ.

D
Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I am so very sorry! There are no words - only prayers!

May God give you all a peace the surpasses all understanding!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My deepest sympathy to your dear friend. May love carry her through this. God bless all who mourn the loss of her beloved young son.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My sympathy for your friend and her daughter. I will keep them and you in my prayers.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still Standing

I am so so so sorry for your friend. That is a Mother's worst nightmare come true. She is so blessed to have a close loving friend in you, that can truly understand how she feels & what she went through. You will be her best support. I'm sure that this makes you even more afraid for your son as well. We just have to pray & lean on God through these very sad & trying times. I'm so sorry. Hug her for all of us here at SR. We truly can understand & do care.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is very sad indeed. Hold your friend close - I am sure you will be a great comfort for her.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are a good friend. I hold her, her daughter, friends, family and you in my prayers.

xo
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I cannot imagine your friend's pain. Every mother of an addict on SR thinks she is prepared for this possibility, but I still cannot imagine it.

I will hold your friend and her family in prayer. Bless you for being a kind understanding friend to her.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hate drugs.

Your friend is lucky to have you by her side -- someone who understands. Please let her know she has our prayers.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is truly so sad to hear of another young life lost to addiction. Your friend and all who loved her dear son will be in my prayers today. I'm glad to know that she has such a good friend in you to help ease her sorrow.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((DJ)) - I am so sorry. You, your friend and all who loved her son are in my prayers. We are here for you, and I'm glad you are able to be there for your friend.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone's prayers and thoughts. Selfishly, I am in a bit of terror myself. My 23 yo son has been clean since May after IP rehab. He seems to be doing well, handling life's crap without running back to drugs. He was very shaken yesterday when learning about this. Not sure if he's more shaken about the boy's death or more shaken by the turmoil he sees me and my friend going thru as moms. It was weird last night - my son was somewhat snippy with me, outta patience, somehow affected. I asked/texted (you know) him what was going on for him, and he said "this stuff is scary as sh*t" and said "you know how easy it is to go out like that, ma?" I feel immobilized.

Do I hug him tightly or give him space? Where the hell is the instruction book for dealing with this kinda stuff?!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so very sorry for your friend. As much as we think we are ready for the worst, I know we are not and I cannot even imagine the pain in her heart.

She and her family will be in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My prayers are with you and the family. Please don't shy away from not knowing what to say. Just being there even without words can help a lot.

A few years ago a little boy of a famous radio personality. He drowned in the family pool where they found him. We often ask WHY. I admit Rick for putting this public and at the same this was his son's gift to the world.

Posting the link.
Rick Burgess - A Father's Heart part 1 - YouTube
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by DJ0822 View Post
Where the hell is the instruction book for dealing with this kinda stuff?!
Ahh, sweetie, I never ever get used to this. I wish there were answers, I wish every on of our addicted loved ones would stop and the pain in our hearts would go away.

Until that happens, we walk together here, sharing our joy and sharing our tears and holding each other up when the walk gets too hard.

Hugs
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Prayers going out to all family and friends of that young girl.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

((DJ)) - I'm not sure what the answer is to your question about your son. I hope this has seriously shaken him. I'm both a recovering codie (with many loved ones who are A's) and an RA.

I can only give you my ES&H. When I was out on the streets, doing crazy stuff, I KNEW, without a doubt in my mind that my family loved me. My dad would hunt me down (my 'hood was a small area). Sometimes I would meet him, other times I hid. The times we spent together, well...sometimes we fought, sometimes we bonded. I was totally hooked on crack.

When I got into recovery, dad asked me "did it mean anything? Those times I came to see you?" I have to say yes.

As a fellow codie, I am NOT recommending people to hunt down their loved ones. What I am saying is....even if he had never come to find me, I knew....without a shadow of a doubt, he loved me.

The best advice I can give is follow your gut. Mine has never led me astray (when clean).

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about this devastating news. I would let your son know how deeply you love him and then gently step away so as not to smother him. offer your support and love, and if he is working recovery, he may reach out to those who are recovering as well.
My prayers go out to you and your friend and family
Love
Teresa
Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Drug addiction is so scary and terrible =(. Drugs literally destroy lives. People act like it's not a big deal to use where I live. "It's my body it's my life" kind of attitude, they have no idea what it does to those of us who love them, they have no idea how easily they can have their lives taken away, it is so so so sad. I honestly wish drugs just didn't exist. It makes me wicked sad to think of a girl my age ending her life so early because of drugs =( I am so sorry for your friend and for you, I will keep you all in my prayers tonight.