Very sad day

Old 08-27-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Praying for your dear friend and all who loved this young man. It's so senseless. I am so sorry.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry. It seems that lately there are too many posts similar to this one. Even one is too many. How sad for all. Pray for comfort for you and your friend.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know that I would be devastated if my AD died. The loss would be terrible for me but I think she'd be at peace and that would be some comfort. I hope your friend finds some peace and that your son's recovery is strengthened by seeing how hard it is for a parent to lose their child to addiciton.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry for your friend and her daughter. And for you. A mother's worst nightmare. Having been through something similar myself, I can truly empathize with your friend's pain. How wonderful for her to have a friend like you to lend support during this difficult time. Prayers going out for her, her daughter, you ... and her son.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My son opened up to me today that this has really rocked him. He is trying to be strong in telling my friend that he really didn't do this on purpose - just thought he was going to dull his pain, but not end it all. He told my friend that her son didn't hurt anymore, but just drifted off peacefully. I think that brought her some comfort. He told me he realizes that playing around with heroin is like Russian roulette -except that instead of 1 bullet in the chamber, there are 5. Scary, scary stuff. Hopefully, my friend's son will have a lasting impression not only on my son, but hopefully on his circle of friends who think they are so invincible. I was thinking of suggesting that we have a "commitment sheet," at the viewing, for all these young, invincible kids to sign as pledging to get clean in the name of the deceased friend. I know most won't keep that promise, many will ignore it, but if even one child thinks twice, it may be a legacy of my friend's son, that his life and death meant something. I don't know how my friend will react - any thoughts? it just makes me so angry to stand by, helpless. Am I too emotionally wrapped right now?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

DJ, I can't say what is right or not I can share with you an experience I had. My daughters fiancee overdosed 3 times he did not make it the third time he had just turned 21 a few weeks before his last overdose.

I went to the funeral to be support for my daughter I found it a bit strange at first the way the preacher did his funeral he didn't talk much about DD fiancee he kept making reference to the young people who were there about this, is the reality of what happens etc... I assume his parents were OK with this I never asked.

My middle AS was at that funeral he overdosed a month later and was lucky to have survived the brothers of S. were also addicts and in the beginning they kept using but the did find recovery. I knew a lot of the kids there most used and sadly 3 have died from overdoses since then.

I think it is a loving thought and if I was one of the parents and my child was an addict or even just started trying drugs I would be OK with it I agree if one life is saved it is worth it.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I think its a great idea.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

>>>>>>DJ0822 wrote....

Am I too emotionally wrapped right now?

===================================

You be any way you need to be right now!----and anyone who would call
you on it can get stuffed.Although if it was me,I'd use the term "awareness"
sheet rather than commitment.

Kids don't like to be controlled,and commitment has that connotation.

The roll of the eyes,the airs of invincibility.Nothing like a young persons funeral
to break through that faux tough exterior, to let them know that
death stalks them,too......it just missed its mark this time.

But keep on using.......your time will come.

So many stories---of their friends getting high on their WAY to the
farewell ceremony of a fellow user.THAT should give a glimpse to the
AWESOME power of what we are up against.

Prayers for your friend's son.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

In my humble opinion the idea of the 'sign up sheet' is not appropriate. The decision has to be made in their heart and won't be influenced one way or the other by signing a sheet of paper. Saying farewell to a dear friend who died so needlessly should be a powerful enough message to stand all on its own.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

adding my prayers of comfort and peace for all affect by the loss of this young man ~

gentle pink hugs for all who love him

Rita
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate all the feedback from people who really "get it.".
Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

DJ- A commitment sheet is a thoughtful idea but I can't see kids wanting to publicly admit to use/addiction because anyone could theoretically view the sheet. And if you were a non-addict, you might not want to sign a pledge if anyone might misconstrue it as admission that you did have a substance abuse problem. Just my thoughts...
Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My daughter signed a no texting and driving promise and a no bullying pledge at her school. I don't think she was doing either...she just promised NOT to.

Many schools have participated in this - Rachel's Challenge
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My emotions are so high right now, with the death of my dear friend's son, and then on top of it all, that school shooting yesterday was at my (and my girlfriend and her now deceased son) alma mater. Granted, she and i were class of 77, but he was just a couple of years ago it just seems surreal - these young people have so much to deal with these days - bullying, drugs, etc.

Makes me want to wrap my 1-year-old granddaughter in a bubble to keep her away from this world.A