Def. not in w/d

Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Def. not in w/d

Update: Went to Dr appt, and got the script for subs, and he was also prescribed a script for predinose (for the so called poison ivy, I still dont believe he has it I think the itching is from the histamines being released from the opiates). Anyway I thought he was hi yesterday, So I had assumed today after taking the sub he'd go into w/d bc his receptors werent clean/bare, but he's def not in w/d. Hes been talking a mile a minute obsessively, talking to himself too, itching, being a jerk, and currently at 12:30 am he is outside playing with his bow in the backyard!?! God forbid what the neighbors are thinking right now... He is drving me nuts, I just want him to sit down & chill. I told him this & he said I am relaxing outside. I hope he is not like this tomorrow! He was not like this last time he took sub (except the one time he took 7 strips& i swear he was messed up off it, but the Dr says thats not possible bc it has a ceiling effect). I wonder if he used yesterday or today & the subs exaggerated that high, IDK I am not really sure & cant find an answer online.
Anyway the Dr. offered him sub or narcan (aka nalaxone), he chose subs, I think Narcan is a better med tho. My AH said he knew I was going to say that. If you dont know much about it here goes: its been around over 40yrs they give it in the ER for O/D's its a total opiod antagonist, it totally reverses the effects of opiods w/in 1-3minutes when given by IV. It does not have bupenorphine (sp?) in it which is the mild opiod in subs (bup+nalaxone=sub, partial opiod antagonist). The FDA has been doing clinical trials with Narcan and opiod& alcohol addicts and it has been proven to help. It comes in a pill form and an injection, its cheaper than subs (the pill is not the injection)and the injection lasts 1 month. Dr suggested trying it in pill form 1st bc of limited $, and then when he gets ins going to the injection, my AH said he wanted subs so thats what he got. On the way home we talked about why he chose that & he said bc he knows subs work, and when on subs he didnt want pills/herion/or alcohol. He said when he gets his ins from his work that he will consider Narcan injection then. I think he did not want Narcan bc the Dr told him if you've taken opiates w/in 24-48hrs it will send you into severe w/d. He told the Dr he only used Fri and Sat &hasnt used since Sat (which I am convinced is a lie, I know he's been messed up for @least 2 wks & I am pretty sure he used yesterday, either that or I am a crazy person here)& he told the Dr how much he was taking Fri&Sat= ALOT!
To sum it all up the Dr gave a script for 2 weeks worth of sub & then my AH goes back to Dr for a follow up. I hope the next 2 weeks are better than the last. ANd hopefully he'll go to few meetings in this time period. Time will tell. Just wanted to let you all know whats going on. I will keep you posted, ty all for your concern and kind words, it really helps me deal.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Emptyshell, it sounds like he is continuing on his path, I hope not but am worried about you. Have you thought about finding a meeting for yourself, Al-anon, Nar-anon or CoDA? I promise they will help you take the focus off him and put it back on yourself.

I'm sorry things aren't getting better. Maybe it's time to take very good care of yourself...regardless of how things are going for him.

Said with a caring heart...

Hugs
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Worrying about him won't make him better, it just makes you worse. Obsessing and wondering about the ins and outs of his drug use won't help him, it just makes you crazy. It's his problem, let him deal with it. Look after YOU.
I'm sorry that he doesn't seem to be doing what he needs to do to get better but ultimately that's his choice. It sucks! It's horrible standing by and seeing someone you love destroy themselves. That is why you need to look after yourself- get some support and do lovely things for yourself.
I know what you're going through, I hope you find some peace soon, s
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know, but its very hard not to worry about someone you love and live with, I am sure you know what I mean. Yes I do need to take care of myself, and I will be going to a meeting within the next 2 weeks. I feel like he treats me like a piece of trash & it breaks my heart, I am wraped up in his problem and need to free myself and I do think meetings would help me w/ that. He was being a jerk lastnight & I tried to explain to him how I was feeling when he asked what was wrong, I said that I was hurt that he was lying to me & he blew it out of porportion/plays the victim like he always does, he says I did everything you wanted me to do I am med'ed& your still not happy& you dont trust me, nothing I do is good enough for you. He acts like I am the one who betrayed his trust, like I am the one who has done something wrong. Well I dont think that being med'ed makes all the lies and hurt he's put me through & mistrust just magically disappear. It's like I cant express my feelings to him ever, he has no idea how to communicate like an adult. ANd thats not just when he's hi its all the time, like he never learned how to talk things out, maybe its bc he's been doing drugs since he was a teen.IDK Then he got mad and slept on the couch for 2 hrs before he had to go to work (bc he was awake all night, like he was hi or something). He tells me the things he says to me is just a joke, but I dont think the things he says are funny, they hurt my feelings& belittle me, but he doesn't understand that he just thinks I have no sense of humor. You dont say things like that to the person you love, your not supposed to name call or belittle people, especially the person you married. Yes I am a sensitive person and even more so since his addiction came about, but I dont think I shouldnt be able to say what I am feeling and have those feelings be validated or acknowledged. I feel like he has no idea how to provide emotional support (hi or clean) & that really hurts & leaves me feeling lonely. I feel like he acts like I should not have feelings....
Old 08-23-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Emptyshell, he's being really abusive. Please try to go to a meeting in the next 2 days, not the next two weeks. It's really not worth your breath trying to tell him how you feel, harsh as that may sound. Please take a look at this very instructive tool and see what fits for you. It helped me see things in my past relationship that I had been overlooking because I was trying so hard to help, understand, fix, support, love. Please take care of your SELF.

http://www.theduluthmodel.org/pdf/PowerandControl.pdf

You are my thoughts and prayers today.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

P.S. Violence is on the outside of the wheel because it is often the last resort of abusers. They use everything inside the wheel, the spokes to keep their partners "in line" until that no longer works. His addiction is only one part of the picture, from what you have explained.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

GM- Ty he does fit into the coersion, emotional abuse and minimizing the emotional abuse catagories (but not economic, kids, isolation, male privilage or physical abuse catagories). I really do think alot of his communication probs & the way he lashes out has alot to do with his drug use in teens & the household he grew up in. Everything in the model is things he's seen between his alcoholic parents when he was growing up, I am not making excuses for his behavior in any way here. I know his behavior is wrong& hurtful! But will NA teach him how to communicate better on top of teaching him how to deal with his addiction? I am just asking bc I have never been to an NA meeting or known anyone who has. I dont know what goes on at an NA meeting. Or is that something he needs to go to a therapist for? He has spoken to the Dr before about his anger and communication probs (so obviously he saw it as a prob too)& she suggested counseling, but he could not afford it with no ins& mounding debt from drug use. Again I am not trying to make excuses here, just stating the facts. Does anyone know of any free counseling?

As far as meetings go for me, the next one even remotely close to me (45min away) is on Sun and I have long standing plans that day, so thats why I said w/in the next 2 wks so I can go the following Sun.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by emptyshell View Post
I am wrapped up in his problem(s)
its a choatic life isnt it? and its all about the A in our life...
I have changed so much by going to my program...and learning how to deal with many other ways to deal with "things" in my life....I began to see how distored my thoughts and actions became from living with alcoholism I had to accept for who the A in my life for who he really was...an alcoholic

I have changed like..eg: by setting boundaries AND sticking with them
: asking for my needs and wants to be met
:taking care of myself

and lastly, letting the alcoholic be responsible for his own life...
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So he was out back shooting a bow and arrow after midnight????

Hmmmm

Ok I am itching big time, sorry I have this thing with information ... I wanted to come in and clear up a few things for you, so that you understand the choices he had at the doctors.

Buprenorphine, is not described as mild anything …. Around 40 times stronger than morphine, so it is high on the chain. And it can be trumped by fentanyl easy.

Suboxone ~ buprenorphine and naxolone … understand the naxolone does aboslutely nothing it can’t compete with bup and bup will always be the blocker with suboxone.
Subutex … buprenorpine alone.

Both can be shot up…yes even the strips and both can be abused.
Both will put you into precipitated wd if you have any opiates in your system and take it. But if on it already and you use … either you will not feel anything or get high depends on the sub dose …. But if you get sick, it is not wd sick, it is an I have to much opiates in my system sick.

Buprenorphine is made from thebain, the speedy part of the poppy. They make oxy from that as well.

Naxolone/narcan … used in sub and used with od’s

Naltrexone, longer acting used to help one maintain sobriety and also has had some success in helping some alcoholics get clean as well. Can not be given at all until 7-10 days have passed since last use. It comes in a pill a shot or an implant.
It will totally throw a person in wd, if taken with opiates in system …. But if already in the system and you use on top, you will not get high, nor will you go into wd. You won’t feel anything, and if you push for a high you can and will od. Just cause you don’t feel high you body is registering the drug.

Each great tools, each serve a totally different purpose …
Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Frankly this all seems too much to keep track of ..... unless you are the addict. I would just choose to walk away and create a peaceful space for myself to figure out what I want next in my life. Do you really need to understand all of this??? Ever????
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are going to talk about it, you should probably know and understand what you are talking about.

If you are going to choose to live with an addict in active addiction I think one should know what they hell they are on and how it might effect them, and then in turn if that could be a real dangerous thing for you to be around … for your children to be around.

If you are going to allow these drugs into your home and there are children around you better lock em up and good.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by incitingsilence View Post
If you are going to talk about it, you should probably know and understand what you are talking about.

A litle harsh, don't ya think, especially since I am only talking about the information that came straight out of the Doctor's mouth. Bup (class 3 analgesic) may be 40x stronger than other analgesics however AH is only taking 8-16mg of sub where as when taking other analgesics with the goal of abusing AH is taking 120mg and up to feel that "hi". Therefore according to the Doctor it has a "mild effect" compared to 120mg & up of other analgesics when the goal is abusing those other analgesics.
And to comment back on your post about kids: I don't have any kids in my home & I am glad for that. It would not be a good environment for children.