What about my prescription meds?

Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What about my prescription meds?

Where am I supposed to hide my prescription meds when I've caught my husband taking them? I don't want him to know where they are, but I need to have them on hand for my own medical conditions.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Some people buy a small lock box and hide it. Keep the key somewhere safe. It's a shame you have to do that, but it isn't all that uncommon.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's tough to hide stuff from an addict, so keeping it under lock and key and keeping the key with you, is the best route. My little brother has tried many tricks to either steal our money or personal belongings to sell for drugs. He's even hid his cell phone in our rooms to record where we 'hide' stuff.
So the best advice is to keep it under lock and key. Even boxes with combination codes aren't as good as lock and key. Like I said, my brother would hid a camera to find out our hiding spots and the combinations to our locks.
Good Luck.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a small lockbox with a key, got it at Walmart for about $20. Unfortunately, I'm on my 3rd one as I kept changing where I hid the key, as my stepmom would look for it, and I had to break into the first 2. Trust me, breaking into it pretty much tears it apart, so it's not something he could do without you knowing it.

I'm sorry you're having to do this. I'm an RA but take meds for sleep and my stepmom stole them a few times before I caught on. I don't put the key on my key ring, as I'm bad about leaving my keys laying around. It does the job, though.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I kept mine at my work, only brought home what I absolutely needed. But then that didn't work either cuz then he would beg and eventually I would give in and have to drive all the way to work to get them for him. So I have had cronic pain for 10 years and only use moltrin, and 2 different kind of patches that are non narcotic. One is for swelling and one is for numbing. Boy he was pissed when I did that. But it worked and now I have learned to live with the physical pain with out DRUGS. Try a different route with your doc, its really the only way.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you get a lock box do not get a combination one. I have a three digit combo box and it takes only about 15 minuts to try all 999 numbers!
Key box - you can use a safety pin to hook the key to your bra
Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I don't know how they do it, but an addict can sniff out drugs or money anywhere. My friend hid hers in the bag of dog food. He never did find them there, lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just don't forget where you hide it! I hid a bracelet around the neck of a Christmas doll. Six years later I found it. I was so excited!

Taped items to bottom of dresser drawers one time. He found that quickly.

I agree if the lock box is small enough to carry, the whole thing may disappear.
Sad.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Once I hid my pills in my ribbon drawer (its a three drawer rubbermaid with nothing but craft ribbon) next to my bed. I woke up to find my AH in it! OMG how on earth did he figure that out? And pretty brave when it was 2 feet away.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Buy a Taser and hide out near the pills.

While he's still convulsing, tell him that this marriage isn't really working out, and leave.

Or just continue to play hide and seek with someone who doesn't seem to care about your medical condition.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all - for your understanding and ideas. I have never been in this situation before and I am kind of lost. Not talking to my girlfriends about it either, so also feeling alone.

I can see what you mean about the lock and key and how the whole box could also disappear, so that makes it challenging. I'm not in the position to buy a 350 pound giant thing for the garage or something right now.

He and I are just in the beginning stages of understanding his tendency to lie and misuse stimulants. I'm starting to understand that he had a more serious issue with this stuff before we knew each other, then he got better about things, and now we're newly married and the tendencies are starting to resurface. So this is our issue right now and we're going to find a way through it.

Maybe there's another thread where I can share my whole story and try to get some more perspective.

Part of me wants to believe I'm not dealing with what I think we're dealing with...but the other part of me is like, "yep....we're definitely dealing with this. And you can't trust your husband to work on it with you together because he lies and is being secretive."

Ick. Don't like that version.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also...started reading some other threads and stickies...

Mostly they just scared me and made me feel bad. :-(

I want to think I'm different and this is not really happening in our marriage.

But it is starting to happen in little ways here and there...

And I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Will need to meditate more and spend time in nature to center myself so I can think clearly. That'd be a good start for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

"I want to think I'm different and this is not really happening in our marriage."

Unfortunately, that is just a pipe dream, when you are ready you will take off your rose colored glasses and see the truth for what it is.

In the meatime take some time to read Codependent No More, and read others posts.

Take care,
Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Before I bought my safe I locked things (don't have meds) in the glove compartment of my car. I don't think he ever thought to look there because nothing was ever missing. Even though my AS has been out of my house for over a year, I am still in the habit of locking anything pawn-able or cash-able in my safe when I leave the house.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Most of us came here thinking "that's not MY situation". At least, I did. It took time and it hurt to realize that yes, my situation was just like most people's here. The good part was, people understood what I was thinking and have always been here to walk me on my path of codie-recovery.

You're not alone and if you have questions about just what is going on? I think that's pretty "normal" for us in the beginning and for a while.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My son stole my hormones once, thinking they were tylanol 3's. I had been to the dentist, hid the tylanol 3's but never thought for a moment he would steal my hormones. Turns out he thought I'd changed bottles to "trick" him.

I was furious. I told him he would grow breasts...and he believed me and checked for a month. I let him.

A safe or lock box can be stolen or easily pried open. If you hide them, it better be some place good because they are amazing at out-thinking us on hiding anything. If you work, maybe keep them there and just have your daily amount in your purse.

Good luck on this, it's really quite sad the things WE have to go through to try to protect ourselves from their addiction.

Hugs
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you again - these are all good ideas and I appreciate your perspectives and experiences.

This has definitely taken me by surprise. Didn't see this coming for our new life together.

I'm trying to focus on continuing to respect myself instead of feeling like an idiot. Thank you for being here.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Buy a Sentry safe, they are the best...one that is at least 350 lbs. Have it bolted to the concrete floor in the basement. Anything smaller is a waste, he will just steal the whole thing. For entertainment, also install a nanny-cam and watch him try to break into it.
:rotfxko
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

At night set up a rat trap in the drawer and when he reaches his hand in to feel for the pill bottle he will get more then he bargained for!

Passion
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by nytepassion View Post
At night set up a rat trap in the drawer and when he reaches his hand in to feel for the pill bottle he will get more then he bargained for!

Passion
:rotfxko