PLEASE HELP, is he high on heroin, I'm so worried

Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PLEASE HELP, is he high on heroin, I'm so worried

PLEASE HELP I am really worried. My bf of 8 years had a serious heroin problem (injecting) prior to the start of our relationship. I got involved with him after he had completed recovery for 2 years. He had one relapse a few months into our relationship but has been off heroin since. He struggles with drinking lately because he lost his job and is generally depressed. He was drinking really heavily and it became unbearable, he chose to go to alcohol detox. He stayed for a week. And has been out for two, only drinking once. Things were going really well this week. He also has hep c from his drug days. In detox they gave him a treatment. He broke out into a full body rash a few days ago, he suspects from the treatment. Doc gave him prednisone. I came home today and he told me he had fallen face first into the floor. He has bloody bruise on nose and cheek/eye. His pupils were constricted and didn't change in the light. His voice was horse. He was stumbly, but stable enough to get around. He seemed sleepy. He was nauseous but didn't puke. He was itchy. Said his heart was pounding. Yesterday he started to taper off the prednisone before he should have and states this is the cause of him falling out and all other effects, thing is only itching and nausea and dizziness could be from prednisone, doesn't explain the pupils and voice. I asked him if he used and he FREAKED out.... " how could you ask that, I would never do that again"..he was mad at me for asking. He's sleeping now....I'm so worried and stressed I called off of work tomorrow...I'm going to try to talk to him in the morning......please please please, does anyone have advice....I feel so alone and scared.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

trust your gut. If it quacks like a duck it's probably a duck.....even if it gets mad at you for calling it a duck.

Seriously, just be really careful. If he is drinking and has had a history of addiction then he is in active addiction. He is not able to think clearly and respond the same way as if he were sober and in recovery.

Addiction is a nasty disease and it's really true that all any addict has is a daily reprieve.

I'm not sure that talking is going to get you an honest answer but I understand why you want to try. It hurts to watch someone that you love struggle. Have you thought about working your own recovery program (Alanon or Naranon)? Someone with a prior heroin addiction and now drinking would be a difficult person to be in a relationship with....having a support system for you would be a huge help for you in this situation. In the rooms of recovery I found people that have walked the same walk as me....it really helped to have them share their experience, strength, and hope.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm here 'cuz of alcohol and only into day #5, but that sounds pretty scary, regardless of why.... I'd suggest calling his doctor or even a pharmacist to get info., but the doc who prescribed is the best to talk to in my opinion. Check out posting in several groups, too, because some are more familiar with heroin and its effects.

Wish I could help more, but there are tons of folk here who can and will. Hang in there for a bit and I'm sure lots of people will respond soon.

Glad you're here!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the replies so far.....he's awake now and playing happily with the cat like everything is just fine. The raspy voice and unsteadiness is gone, can't see the eyes.....I'm so confused!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All of these effects are common stuff for opiate/opiod users. There's even folk lore about the itchiness and the quality of the dope.

Normal folk who experienced a reaction like this to a medication would be on the phone with their Md and likely hit the ER, chop-chop. He did none of the things normal folk would do.

His reaction "how could you ask that, I would never do that again" is classic addict stuff. This is life with active addiction. The good news is that you can get off this crazy train any time you want. You don't have to have a front row center seat.

He's been out of alcohol detox for 2 short weeks and has had one drink you know about. Taking off work? Talking to him? Nothing you can say or do, or not is going to keep him sober or cause him to relapse. You are not that powerful. None of us are. Recovery is an inside job. My 2 cents says he is not ready to change. He does have a right to live his life as he choses and so do you.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you outtolunch. He also got up just now and went right to the fridge and started eating....I thought they didn't eat when high...is this true? I'm trying to learn everything I can so that I am not easily manipulated.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tiny pupils, nausea, itchy palms= heroin. My AD tried to tell me it was her cymbalta. Not!

As Lightseeker said, trust your gut. My guess is he's using. Be safe. Take care of yourself most of all.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He was also perfectly lucid in conversation....is this normal for someone who is high on heroin?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my ex from way way back who used heroin (isn't that crazy I only just now realized I used to date another addict!!! freak me out!) used to kick my butt in chess while he was high, and I'm actually a pretty good player, he would nod off (I used to think he was tired) and then he'd open his eyes and make some great move.

the constricted eyes, nausea, itchyness AND his adamant anger with you are all signs. I really think someone who is in recovery understands why people have trust problems with them and try to be understanding with their loved ones.

but like everyone is telling you...there isn't anything you can do about HIM
the only thing you can do is figure out how to work on your own peace of mind and happiness...and a good program will help you figure that out
you can and will be happy whether he is using or not, if you are working your own recovery...

that's a pretty good promise don't you think?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Many of the symptoms you describe are listed as side effects of prednisone, as you said. You can look at a complete list at MedlinePlus - Health Information from the National Library of Medicine. Just type in "Prednisone" in the Search.

The pinpoint pupils are something else altogether.

Many heroin deaths are called "overdoses" but in fact, a great number of them are the result of mixing heroin with other depressants like alcohol (or benzodiazepines). If he mixed an opiate (heroin, oxycodone, etc) with alcohol, it could account for the visible symptoms that look like intoxication. It could definitely land an addict face first on the floor. Heroin use alone is often very hard to discern and the use of prescription opiates like oxycodone can be almost impossible to detect. The addict will appear perfectly normal (until withdrawal sets in). Very lucid.

I agree with the above that most people experiencing this level of severe reaction to any prescribed medication (in this case, prednisone) would absolutely call the physician. If your boyfriend is adamant tomorrow about not doing that, I would suspect drugs and alcohol. (I don't use the word "relapse" because his use of alcohol has had him in relapse for a long time).

Don't isolate with this issue. Talk to others you trust about what's going on. You will lose your mind if you isolate with an active addict.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Shutterbug... I'm sure you're extremely worried! I have been there unfortunately. If you aren't sure- you have every right to ask. It's unfair of him to go off on you. The burden of proof isn't on you. Trust isn't unconditional, period. Accountability is EVERYTHING when it comes to trust. Even more so when you're in a relationship with someone in recovery. They do sell over the counter drug tests. I'd suggest you don't say a word to him, go pick one up, bring it home, and ask him to take it. You're scared, you're worried, this is tearing you up- and you're going to be doubting every word he says if he can't show you he's clean. It's not enough for him to tell you- especially NOT if he's being over the top defensive. You are sharing your life with someone and it's not fair for you to be manipulated or lied to, so they can "keep" you and continue with behaviors that are unacceptable to you. That is SO NOT okay! If he's clean, he's clean. Nobody can be sure without proof. You know? Ugh.. I'm so sorry girl. :-( Honestly, if my SO asked me to take a pee test, I'd be like "Are you serious?". But, I'd do it... I have nothing to hide. THEN we'd need to have a little talk about trust. Again, I'm so sorry you're going through this.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just to clarify: I am pretty sure oxycodone is classified as an "opioid" and not an "opiate." My understanding of the significance of that difference is that many drug tests do not detect opioids.