Al-Anon/ Family support Meetings

Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al-Anon/ Family support Meetings

What do they do there? I am contemplating attending one since my wife is in rehab. Is it really worth it? Can you all share some ideas/stories how they have helped you cope with a addict?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's most definitely worth it. I'm still fairly new to my alanon meetings but the handful I've been to have helped me tremendously. That's what so great about alanon/naranon, they help you to focus on YOURSELF, not the addict. I would recommend that you go to a beginners meeting, that way you can get an idea of what it's all about. From my experience they normally go around the room and give everyone a chance to introduce themselves and then there's time for sharing and you can either choose to share or pass and just listen. Either is completely acceptable. But there's so much to gain from going to a meeting. You should give it a try
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Will Al-Anon or Nar-Anon help you? Well.....you get out of it what you put in to it. The basic concept of those programs is helping US (the loved ones of addicts or alcoholics) cope. It helps us to find peace whether the addict/alcoholic continues to use or not. We read. We talk. We focus on ourselves. We grow. We learn. We help each other. We make friends. We find support and give support to others. We work the steps that we wish our addicted loved ones would.

Those programs don't always help people who need it but they do help those who really WANT it. Subtle but important difference.

Welcome.......take a read around. SR is full of great information and there is a lot of collective wisdom here.

gentle hugs
ke