Brother aka addict in ICU

Old 08-14-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brother aka addict in ICU

Hello Everyone,

Anyway, bottomline is my brother almost died two weeks ago as he has been and IV drug user for lord knows how long. Parents called the ambulance because he would not go to the hospital.

When he went in he had blood poisioning, menigitis, fluid between lung and chest and a growth on his heart. He pulled out all the cords as he was going home and then the doctor deemed him not competent and he had to stay in.

Went to see him the other day and got the whole speech that he was going to change and never use drugs blah blah blah....easy to say that when he has a bag of Dulidid pain killers going into his arm. I must say I had a bad feeling when I saw him that day.

The doctor as been cutting back his pain meds. He knows he is a drug addict but I guess the infection is pretty painful. Now he is screaming to leave the hospital, yelling for ativan, lied and said I gave him ativan which I did not, just being non compliant again. The doctor said at least another 3 week stay in the hospital was needed. He is 25 years old.

Basically I feel drained and I just can't take it anymore. But it still causes me anxiety. I am a recovered alcoholic myself and a bulimic in recovery so I know the long hard road ahead and he doesn't seem to want to take it. I have tried detaching with love but then something major happens and I get involved again.

Any words of wisdom to help me relax. I have not been to an AA meeting in a while so maybe that is something I should do. What do I do? How do I live my own life?

Thanks,
Jenn
Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Meeko from Canada.

You mention AA meetings - get to one ... for your sake - if you're an alcoholic in AA then you know that there's absolutely nothing that you can do for him unless he really wants it. Think about how much others could do for you before you actually decided you needed to change. With me, my family saw my drinking / drug problems long before I did, but had no idea what or how to do anything for me.

But you also may need to get to an Alanon meeting.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I will keep your brother in my prayers, Meeko, it is just so sad to watch someone we love self-destruct.

I agree with Fred, an Al-anon meeting may help you too. We have lots of double winners here who go to AA and Al-anon both and find each helpful.

Hugs
Old 08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Hi Jenn,

I would go to an Al-anon meeting, an AA meeting, an OA meeting, anything to take care of YOU! You do not want to relapse and the anxiety you are experiencing is not a good thing sweetie.

I pray that your brother does recover, but just for now, please take care of yourself.

Lily
Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Meeko,
I'm sorry your brother is hurting from this terrible
affliction.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Meeko, I have nothing to add as you have been given good advice I just wanted to say your family is in my prayers and welcome to SR.