reh in Tampa

Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

reh in Tampa

Just found out my daughter has an addiction to opiantes , very sad .Would love to get her in to a treatment center near Tampa , anyone have any sugesstions , any help would be great as me and my husband are clueless.Many Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, fiona welcome to SR. I am sorry for what brought you here. I have 2 sons who are addicts as well as my husband my husband is an opiate abuser. Do you know if your daughter is willing too go into rehab?

We as parents of course want our children to not use drugs, but if she is not willing there is nothing you can do I know that is hard too swallow.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How old is your daughter? I ask because the line between "parent's business" and "child's business" changes with age. If your daughter is an adult, most of these decisions should be made by her.

That said, my son has been to residential treatment twice - once at 16 and once at 18 - and both times we were very involved in selecting the treatment center, and getting him to go there.

The one question I'd ask is why you want a treatment center in the Tampa area? Do you think it has a good reputation, or is that where you live? If you live in the Tampa area, I would recommend looking somewhere else. Treatment is a long term process - your daughter will need extended care, or a sober-living environment after she leaves primary treatment. You do not want her anywhere near her old environment - and where she goes to rehab will affect where she goes for aftercare.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Just wanted to say Welcome to SR, fiona. You have made a wise choice to come here. There are alot of wonderful, caring & wise people here that will share their personal experiences with addicted loved ones & who will support you while you go through this with your child.

I'm very sorry that you are having to go through this very traumatic stuff with your child. I understand & I care.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the replys .My daughter is 25 and still lives at home with us.We are British and moved to Florida 8 yrs ago and hav never fitted in or felt at home.Yes we live in Tampa that why I asked about treatment centers here , but also considering returning to the Uk with her for potential treatment .I know this will be a long process of recovery and Tampa only holds lots of bad memoiries and dealers to provide her with more drugs ,so mayb leaving might help in her recovery ...just reaching out for any advice from those who have been there
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Fiona, I'm sorry for the situation that brings you here, but welcome to the forum.

There are many people on here who can relate to how incredibly difficult and painful your situation is. Is your daughter an adult or a minor child? If she is an adult she'll need to look into recovery options herself; I know it's hard to not do this for her, but it's better for her recovery to allow her to make this decision.

Are you participating in any Al-anon/Nar-anon groups in your area? My area only has Al-anon, but that's okay, there are lots of people there with family members who are drug addicted also. It doesn't have to be Nar-anon. I encourage you to look into it - they provide a wealth of tools and information you can use to help yourself navigate these muddy waters.

ETA: I see you mention she is an adult. Is she actively seeking recovery? Have a read around the forum, especially the sticky posts at the top, there's a lot of information here to take in. Welcome, again.

Last edited by interrupted; 08-14-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Posting at the same time as OP response
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Does your daughter desperately want treatment/rehab? Or, have you ( like most of us parents) decided for her that she needs treatment/rehab?

This is important because treatment/rehab does not cure addiction. Best case, it can teach a highly motivated addict some of the tools of recovery. It's up to the addict to apply those tools for the rest of their lives.
The majority of addicts relapse after initial rehab/treatment. I suspect that a contributing factor is that most of them were prematurely manipulated or court-ordered into rehab and/or thought it was a magic cure.

Many manage to get kicked out of rehab or prematurely leave. It's never their fault, according to them.

An addict needs their drug like we need air to breath. Getting and staying off the junk will be the most challenging experience for her.

Florida is ground zero for rehab and treatment. It's free at Slavation Army. Some place can and do charge up to $50K a month. There are no money back guarantees. Avoid anyplace that touts that X % of former patients/guests remain drug free.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When my son went to rehab, he went to a place miles away from his friends. I'm glad he agreed to this particular rehab because we didn't want him close enough for his friends to visit him and potentially sabotage his recovery. None visited him while in rehab--other than his girlfriend, but she was supportive of his getting help.

After rehab, our son moved back in with his father and me. We live in another state than where he was an addict. He is still here, though not living with us. So far so good. I think it helps to have him thousands of miles away from where he was abusing drugs--though the real test will be the day he can be there and not abuse drugs.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

There are many who post here from the Uk, the drug issue is as prevelant there as here.
No way to geograpically run from addiction, it is a mindset, a desire that knows no bounderies.

She is an adult, she knows how to find drugs and when she is ready for recovery, she will find a recovery program and embrace recovery, until she is ready there is nothing that you can do that will resolve her problem. You could move to Alaska and
that would not change a thing.

Before I would make any life altering decisions I would suggest that you read Codependent No More, all the stickeys at the top of this forum and start attending
Naranon meetings. Until you undertand this disease (that has no cure) and realize that
you cannot fix her, she will never fall to her and knees and thus will never seek recovery.

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this, however, knowledge is power....read...and then read some more.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Geographical changes do not change a person. It is an internal change that happens as a result of working the steps.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Geographical changes do not change a person. It is an internal change that happens as a result of working the steps.
While I agree that this is true, geographical distance from triggers can help the addict "buy time" that will help the tools of recovery take root. Geographical distance is also very help for the codie, as well..it's not as easy to run over with cigarettes and other little comforts when there is substantial distance.

Take what you like, etc...