The addicts playbook....

Old 08-21-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I think "but" is another great one.
I'm sorry I've been gone, BUT let's start fresh.
I'm sorry I've failed you, BUT things are different now.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

To the question "How many of those pain pills did you take?" while he was suffering from kidney stones, my son's response was "How can you say that? Do you know how it makes me feel when you say things like that?" all while he was high as a kite.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

"You don't have to be here as my girl I don't expect you to but it would be nice if you could be a friend, I could really use a friend"
Old 08-21-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by kmangel View Post
To the question "How many of those pain pills did you take?" while he was suffering from kidney stones, my son's response was "How can you say that? Do you know how it makes me feel when you say things like that?" all while he was high as a kite.
oh yes, I have heard that one too!!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

"I could really use a friend"

the operative word, Fenway, is "USE"
Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=LoveMeNot;3542666]So it was the Landcruiser's fault?? Not his, of course!! [/QUOTE
YES - can you BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!

Then he went on to tell me "You are overreacting - why do you always accuse me of using cocaine"????
I then replied, "because from what I heard you were blind drunk, refused to let anyone drive you home, then you disappeared into the bathroom for a while, returned, and did not seem as drunk as you were 5 minutes previously...shortly after you plunged your 4x4 into an taxi carrying 3 innocent people'!!
Would you say that's NOT cocaine???
Thank God for SR - otherwise a few months ago I probably would have believed him - well not believed him - but would have lulled myself into my usual false sense of security!!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lesliej View Post
"I could really use a friend"

the operative word, Fenway, is "USE"
Boom. NAILED IT! That's all addict do. They USE! People, drugs, alcohol. EVERYTHING is a tool for them.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Holy Crap Lara - your H is in a lot of doo doo. I'm shocked to my core how he's not in jail right now ---- plus he has another vehicle?!?! He's still fecking driving?!

I just don't get it... (head shake). What is the justice system where you're living "smoking"?. I hope you find the strength to cut this guy loose one day - he has no empathy for 3 people who are in critical condition because of his stupid fecking choices?!

My deceased AH would drink and drive frequently and his family also does it as well. I would fret about others he/they would harm for being so fecking selfish. I even called the police on him a few times but they couldn't find him to do a breathalyzer ....

Thankfully the only person he eventually harmed was himself... forever. And that in itself is fecking sad.

I HATE drugs so much!!! It ruins lives esp those left behind... !!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Oh my god, thank you for making me laugh everyone. I haven’t posted here in a long time but needed some strength and this one is too good to pass. Post rehab stint:

“How dare you expect me to answer the phone when my old drug dealer is calling me. Are you crazy. You are so F’D up. I hate that you would expect me to talk to this person”…..bla bla bla, going off on a rampage on me later for me to of course find out he was calling the drug dealer first.

“I started an argument with you over nothing and screamed at you and left for no reason because I was in a manic mode (dual diagnosis bipolar and drug addict). You must think I’m crazy. I’m so sorry. I just need to get help and treatment. I love you and miss you every day” . Later I found out the times he staged an argument and left my house, he was calling his drug dealer. When confronted the answer is “he called to ask me to play golf and I told him no.” Oh, that explains all the calls to him immediately after leaving my house.

Later when confronted about calls (all of which by the way correlate to calls to others who he dealt and bought drugs from), the answer is “you cant control me, you want to tell me who I can and cannot talk to, you need to have a man you can tell what to do, I lie to you because I’m afraid you’re going to tell me what to do, he’s my friend and has been my friend since we were kids, I have a right to talk to them if they’re my friends”. LOL, that’s a far cry from a few months ago when you said how dare I expect you to talk to someone who sold you drugs and you wanna kill the guy but you don’t want to punch him because you don’t want his blood on you since he probably has diseases from the needles he uses”.

I could seriously write my own book. The best part is that they actually believe themselves I think. The worse part is that they manipulate and try to twist it on the people who care about them to make them feel as horrible as they do. That’s the part of the addict that I hate the most and believe is the most selfish part. But it is funny reading all these things so thanks everyone.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I used to just "love" when he said- "I don't need another mother!!" and "you need a man you can tell what to do!!" (I heard that one too Madison, lol)
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Oh I forgot one this is amazing...........#1 in my book....
While at a family barbque my x disappears for an hour walks in and says sorry I had to put gas in your truck.
Now wait for the kicker my friends.... An hour later stands up and anounces to me in front of everyone that.

HE WILL BE BACK BECAUSE HAS TO GO FINISH PUTTING GAS IN THE TRUCK!!

HUH!?! then storms out because i'm being a b!@#-:......

Lol I can laugh about it now....
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I remember my husband needing to run to home depot a lot. And he is NOT a handy man at all!! I bet we have more kinds of tape then any house on the block!! lol
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

In answer to pointing out fresh track marks: Looking shocked at me. Looking around shocked at his arms, hands, the sky, etc. Having to have the marks "pointed out". Looking shocked at the marks. Looking shocked while poking, scratching, or generally pawing at marks in a totally "I'm shocked" fashion. And ultimately shrugging and shaking his head with an "I'm shocked" look on his face. All while high.
HILARIOUS!

:rotfxko
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Mine is not a saying.. it was a situation, my D had lost like so much weight and as her mother I was freaking out.. She must have lost like 75 lbs in 4 months, so we went from dr to dr trying to find out what was wrong.. and she went all the way through this with me and did not even once hint that there was nothing wrong.. she even went through with the colonoscopy & Endoscopy... All of her Drug habits became very apparent about 2 months later.... now I know.. but I must have spent a fortune on Co-pays trying to find out what was causing her to loose so much weight.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
I remember my husband needing to run to home depot a lot. And he is NOT a handy man at all!! I bet we have more kinds of tape then any house on the block!! lol
My husband went fishing a lot yet never brought home any fish.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, you've made me remember one...
My AXH and I were moving.
My parents had a truck, so came to help us move.
He was dopesick.
He suddenly *remembered* he HAD to pay a credit card bill at the store.
And he left me and my parents to move ALL of our stuff until his dealer could meet him HOURS LATER.
I was sooo embarrassed!
And really? If the credit card payment is due...wouldn't paying it after the move have been just as easy?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BodkinVanHorn View Post
He suddenly *remembered* he HAD to pay a credit card bill at the store.
And he left me and my parents to move ALL of our stuff until his dealer could meet him HOURS LATER.
I was sooo embarrassed!
Reminds me of when AH was supposed to pick our daughter up from a party at a rollerskate rink at 830pm, and went to ACE Hardware instead-so he claims. The mom was freaking out because the place was closing, and I was freaking out because AH didn't think this was a problem and claimed he had spoke to the manager and our 10 yr old at the time could stay and skate by herself. When I knew that was impossible as the place was closing.

He also always hung with his friends in the garage- his mancave where he smoked, and increasingly chose friends who were not married. When I would come out to the garage, he would always look annoyed and embarrassed. I thought he was ashamed to be married to me. I should have been the one ashamed.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

FindingErica wrote:
My husband went fishing a lot yet never brought home any fish.

================================================
Uncle long ago thought this one through (no fooling him!).
He stopped by a fish market on the way home----brought home a fish.

.....only problem? "Honey,you brought home a smoked fish.I don't think
they come that way out of the ocean".

:rotfxko
Old 08-26-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

If all else fails, try the ole suicide manipulation tactic.

I can't say I have ever had to deal with this but I know many of you here have. Definitely the cruelest of all, IMO!!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I gotta laugh at how many of these I've heard, even as recently as TODAY.

(Especially the benadryl/sudafed excuse (hun, they're dilators not constrictors - I shouldn't even know this...) Or the "I'll be back in a minute..." then 3 hours and hundreds of dollars later I might get every flavor of ben and jerry's that the convenience store had as if all that ice cream makes it LESS weird that you spent the entire evening at a convenience store "getting gas")

My favorite is one of her "friends" who is quite high and mighty about "she's a big girl she can make up her own mind." Yea ok buddy, you say that while offering up Xanax and perks? What do you think and addict is going to do? Of course there is noooo way we can cut ties with this friend. I wonder why?

Sorry, I went off on a tangent there!

It's comforting to see I'm not the only one and I am indeed NOT crazy and not an [insert expletive here] for 'knowing' when something is off.

Thankfully the AW is going back to NA this week, but I'm not sure if that is her trying to be an appeaser or if she really wants to help herself. Either way it is up to her.