I did not realize that there were so many of "US"

Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I did not realize that there were so many of "US"

I'm glad I came across this forum. As sad and hurtful as it is, I'm the wife of an addict.

I have 3 daughters; one from a previous marriage and I am getting to the point where I am considering leaving. I've had "thoughts" before...but he always "promises" to get clean.

He's been clean before...and was clean the last time for more than 8 months...which seemed like "forever" - from what it had been like when he was using. He's been using since the first week in May and just can't kick it. Heroin is his drug of choice.

I came across a few sticky's and couldn't believe that we're all going through the same emotions, guilt, denial, and helplessness.

I would love to hear of stories regarding marriage with children - how they were affected, and how they are today. I know it's better to leave the marriage for the kids..and myself. I'm getting stronger everyday.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My addicted loved on is my son, but I wanted to welcome you. Take a read around and make yourself comfortable and others who have experience to share similar to yours will be along soon.

Glad you joined us.

Hugs
Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I was raised in the home of an alcoholic and sometimes pill popper. It was h$ll, I heard and saw everything, yet, I like most children internalized my fears. My mother was the addict in my life, and, as a child raised by an addict I still suffer the scars today. We children inherit the gene which predisposes us to addiction, we have a 50% chance of either becoming an addict ouselves or marrying one.

We also suffer from depression, poor self esteem, mental imbalance and other issues.

I prayed that someone would come and rescue me and my brother, no one did...your childrens well-being and future lie with you, the ball is in your court.

I wish you the best. Please put the children first.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

i am a cousin of a herion addict...it still EFFECTS everyone...
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been away from my ah for almost a year. Heroin his drug of choice I hope he gets clean and starts a Good life but I can not live through another relapse. been through more then I can count in the last 4 years. Thank God for this place because most of the time no one understands us.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I am constantly amazed at how similar others circumstances are to mine. I also have three kids and recently made the tough choice to get our own place and make a go of it. Served AH with divorce papers this month. I can't tell anyone what to do, only what I did and why. I decided I had a primary responsibility to my dependent children's safety and wellbeing. AH is an adult and he could make choices and he was doing what he wanted. Once I got my priorities in place decision making was clearer and easier.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know what to say...

All I can tell you is that every addict I've known, and I seem to attract a lot...none of them can stay clean.

Not for any reason not if they have energy intention...

The addiction is that powerful.

I think for you sake and your daughters you need to get out.

I'm sorry I wish I could be more helpful but the most recent addict I fell in love with was just arrested for I couldn't tell you what a week ago.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I didn't have kids or a family with him.

I am so sorry for what you're going through.

You deserve so much better.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had always thought my AH was a pot smoker and since I was raised around pot that seemed OK (normal) to me. I know he abuses opiates now and really not sure for how long he could have hid other drug use for years possibly before I found out as he is a highly functioning addict. We no longer live together.

My kids are grown now ages 27,24,22 my two oldest are boys both are addicts the oldest is in prison, the other has overdosed I had to perform CPR on my child when he was 18. My daughter she has no self esteem I wish I had gotten my kids out when they were younger would things have been any different I don't know.

I do know NO child deserves to be raised in a home with an active addict.

Welcome to SR, sorry for what brought you here.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(I was typing that last one on my phone. It's supposed to be every intention. Damn auto correct.)