Best friend in trouble :(

Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Best friend in trouble :(

My best friend of 20 years..is in denial about her addiction to drugs/alcohol. In the past few years she has been quickly turning into someone I don't even know. (lying, making excuses for everything etc) presently..her period is 2.5 months late, she has a feeling she is pregnant, but STILL keeps partying! she is making excuses for not taking a test..such as, no money for one, "I will get one in a few days" etc. Her mother gave her money for one, and she used it towards smokes and beer!!!! I am sooo angry with her, but I don't know how to get through to her..if I even can?! She has a promiscuous personality, and is now spending a lot of time with a guy who also uses. In front of him she pretends to be just like him!! but it seems, shes a very good liar..and can pretend to be like anybody she is around. I tried to talk with her last night about it, she got defensive, so I stopped. Why is she doing this!!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addiction is an epidemic. Nothing you say or do, or not, is going to get through to her...get or keep her sober. You are not that powerful. None of us are.

Until she experiences consequences, there is no hope for recovery. Just when we think he/she is reaching bottom, addicts/alcoholics tend to keep on digging deeper.

Do not, under any circumstances, give her money, do for her what she can do for herself and watch your stuff.

Many have found Alanon helpful in times like this to learn how to cope and control their own reactions to people, places and things beyond their control.