Why SR and not NA?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Bacon frying in a pan....omg! You brought a much needed smile to my face. I will try. I will tell them it's my first meeting and not ready to share if I can't. Hope they are as warm and loving as sr members. Thank you all for your replies.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was same as you. Now I have been to 2 meetings where I cried the entire time and shared with a member and now can't wait for the next. Really wish I would have gone sooner.

Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

there are some utube videos of a woman named Brene Brown and she discusses why some people have a greater capacity for JOY...she did a lot of research and discovered that people have a much better chance of experiencing JOY when they are able to let themselves be VULNERABLE...

her thinking is that when we are willing to let ourselves be vulnerable we open ourselves up to let things out and let things in...

if we close ourselves off because we don't want to be vulnerable (meaning in this case that we don't want to share our pain) then we close ourselves off from the good stuff too...our shell that "protects us" from exposing our pain to others ends up closing us off and isolating us from the connection of all the good feelings too.

you can also look at it this way...there may just be someone at that meeting who is in a worse place than you, and they need you to show up and have the courage to be present...even without speaking, just being there.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I tried a meeting once a few years back. I just listened and absorbed it, had no issues with it and didn't feel uncomfortable.

I just decided it wasn't for me.

I prefer the concentrated E, S & H here at SR.

The wealth of current and past information here has provided me with many answers and a lot of knowledge about my past and current issues.

Since I avoid saying "never" these days, I would consider going again if I found myself too far out of balance and wasn't getting what I needed here.