Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Being Physically Healthy is such a gift. Dont ever risk it for anyone.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Some of you know that I was with an IV heroin drug addict for 3 years. He has used needles for over a decade plus all sorts of other drugs including crack cocaine, oxy, and vicodin. He also had hundreds of partners before me and cheated on me when we were together. I stuck around for what I thought was love...

Fast forward 4 years and 1 year after the end of that relationship, I finally got myself tested for HIV, Hep B & C, all that other good stuff. They say HIV takes 6 months to show up. I have not been with anyone since the end of that relationship and there was always a nagging worry and fear on the back of my mind about the "what ifs".

I am relieved to share that all the tests came back negative. I am healthy!

When the doctor's office called, my heart was racing. The nurse also talked very slow which made me extra nervous thinking something was wrong. Maybe I was just having one of those "time is moving extra slow when in fear" moment.

I just want to tell all of you ladies out there, Dont Ever risk your health and happiness for what you think is love. Love is not like that, period. Things could have been so much worse for me. My life could have been ruined and robbed by this mistake I made. I thank my lucky star and whoever is looking out for me.

Please think about the type of people you want in your life and the type of partner you want to be with. Have standards. Love yourself and protect yourself. I will never take my health for granted again.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

So glad to know the tests came back negative! Love your post, it's a keeper.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so happy for you that the results are good, and I thank you for putting this out there because indeed there is a very high risk of many diseases when being intimate with an addict who has been active sexually and who has used needles.

When I began reading your post, my heart sank, and I am so relieved that all is well.

Hugs
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So thankful all tests were negative! Whew! What a relief for you. So proud all turned out well.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Thank you for your post. We here try and stress this every so often with all
the posters, especially newcomers, but it is something that needs to be stressed
more.

I am glad that you are NEGATIVE on all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is wonderful news!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was scared too reading your post... I am SO relieved that you are healthy and strong! Thank you for sharing your experience. (((Hugs))))
Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so glad the results were all negative what a blessing I have to redo my HIV test in January I pray I get the same results.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!

Ann and TJP, I am so sorry that I scared you guys. Was it the title or the way I started off the thread? Maybe I have a talent in writing suspense stories?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Survivor

This is an excellent post. I think it should be made a sticky personally. How brave and amazing of you to share this experience with us.

I get tested at least once a year regardless of what is going on. It is always good to know and keep track of your status.

I am so grateful that all of your results were negative. Yes!

Lily