SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   The Little Boy and The Rattlesnake (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/264576-little-boy-rattlesnake.html)

nerdygirl 08-06-2012 08:25 AM

The Little Boy and The Rattlesnake

I think I posted this a while ago, but thought I'd post it again...

The little boy was walking down a path and he came across a rattlesnake. The rattlesnake was getting old. He asked, "Please little boy, can you take me to the top of the mountain? I hope to see the sunset one last time before I die." The little boy answered "No Mr. Rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you'll bite me and I'll die." The rattlesnake said, "No, I promise. I won't bite you. Just please take me up to the mountain." The little boy thought about it and finally picked up that rattlesnake and took it close to his chest and carried it up to the top of the mountain.

They sat there and watched the sunset together. It was so beautiful. Then after sunset the rattlesnake turned to the little boy and asked, "Can I go home now? I am tired, and I am old." The little boy picked up the rattlesnake and again took it to his chest and held it tightly and safely. He came all the way down the mountain holding the snake carefully and took it to his home to give him some food and a place to sleep. The next day the rattlesnake turned to the boy and asked, "Please little boy, will you take me back to my home now? It is time for me to leave this world, and I would like to be at my home now." The little boy felt he had been safe all this time and the snake had kept his word, so he would take it home as asked.

He carefully picked up the snake, took it close to his chest, and carried him back to the woods, to his home to die. Just before he laid the rattlesnake down, the rattlesnake turned and bit him in the chest. The little boy cried out and threw the snake upon the ground. "Mr. Snake, why did you do that? Now I will surely die!" The rattlesnake looked up at him and grinned, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

Elphie 08-06-2012 08:32 AM

Another similar story....remember this when thinking about the nature of an addict.........

Once upon a time a scorpion came to a river bank and wished to cross to the other side.

As we all know that scorpions cannot swim, and will drown in the water.

But he saw that a crocodile was swimming along the river bank near by.

The scorpion called to the crocodile and said, "Would you please help across the river?"

"I can ride upon your back to the other side please."

“No” replied the crocodile “for you will surely sting me if I do so.”

"Oh, no!" said the scorpion, who was anxious to cross the river.

"Everyone knows that scorpions are afraid of water, and we cannot swim and we would both drown!" replied the scorpion.

"Why would I do such a stupid thing?!"

The Crocodile thought for a while, and realized it was true.

"He will die, if he stings me!" He thought. So he asked the scorpion to hop on his back.

Half-way across the river, the crocodile felt the painful sting from the scorpion on the back of his neck.

"Why did you do that?" the crocodile asked with his last breath.

“I am sorry” said the scorpion.

“It is my nature…”

Vale 08-06-2012 11:31 PM

..the hardest thing to admit in codependency is that WE are often more messed up
than THEY are.

It doesn't make any sense to pick up rattlesnakes or scorpions.

[But I did.]

Why?....I still only partially understand.Maybe it's the endless diatribe
of 'happy ending' movies we have all has drumbeat into our brains---the 'come from
behind' victories against hundred-to-one odds that find us TRIUMPHANT in the end.
WHO believed in them to the end? Who was the hero who NEVER gave in?

We were.The heroes.

What a crock.

In the real world,people who play the lottery for a living get slaughtered.
In the real world,competition for the slots worth having is,to be polite,....'keen'.
And in the real world,your judgement gets clouded by emotion and you begin to
resent those around you who are NOT blinded by the "sweet story".

The reality of my situation? A middle class wife threw her husband/family away for oxy.
She lost her beautiful home in one of the toniest suburbs of Boston---and she lives
with a hard-time ex-con in what can only be described as a 'crankhouse' in a place
where I'd be hesitant to roll down my window.

Recovery? How? With a 'support system' of other junkies? With what time?
(she's in her VERY late 40's).

What I could have used was a few real-life stories......hero takes on million to one odds......

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[AND GETS SQUASHED.]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

(like in real life)

Whose 'fault' was this? The writer who is writing this.
I came to SR to get a pat on the back---but instead
got a kick in the teeth........THANK GOD!

FindingErica 08-07-2012 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vale (Post 3522482)
Why?....I still only partially understand.Maybe it's the endless diatribe
of 'happy ending' movies we have all has drumbeat into our brains---the 'come from
behind' victories against hundred-to-one odds that find us TRIUMPHANT in the end.
WHO believed in them to the end? Who was the hero who NEVER gave in?
!

I mentioned to someone that I think movies like Twilight are very unhealthy for this younger generation to emulate. Bella is possibly the most codependent character I have ever seen. Moping over a creature whose nature it is to kill, who has killed, who could potentially kill again. The fantasy that one girl can save him, join him, build a future and a romance. Such an unhealthy story that captivated the imagination of so many. Now all I hear from anyone is how I must read 50 Shades of Grey, I looked up the synopsis. A man with sexual addictions and fetishes who reduces women to his sex slave, becomes prince Charming. And nobody sees how unhealthy these romances are, though fiction? No wonder our society is in a state of decline and we have a steady stream of Codie's coming here who continue to romanticize and coddle their manipulative, abusive addict A sig others. <movie rant over>

Faithlove 08-07-2012 09:30 AM

I love this post and as a matter of fact, I'm going to read it to my taller-than-I-am-Little-Boy. He's asked why his step-dad had to move out again and I told him, like I have had to tell him every time, that AH is sick. This time he asked, "with what?" I told him, "Addiction." Then I explained that some people can "experiment" with alcohol, drugs or medicines that don't belong to them when they're young and don't get addicted; but some people can't stop taking them once they've started. It doesn't mean they're a bad person, they're sick with addiction and not safe to have around kids. I just now pray that my children will decide not to even experiment.
I think this story will make a good impression on him though and hopefully when he's met with the choice to take that first drink or try a drug, he'll choose wisely, because unfortunately he now knows that the snake of addiction will kill.

Vale 08-07-2012 11:46 AM

>>>>>>>>>the snake of addiction will kill<<<<<<<<<<<<

....I think we have our quote of the day!

(Thanks,Faithlove)