Codependency and lorazepam dependency

Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codependency and lorazepam dependency

Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone living with addiction has found themselves with a benzo dependency problem trying to cope with the insanity?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Plum, welcome to SR! I have a Heroin addicted son, but he toyed with benzos for a short time. I am sure others who have better history with this one will be along soon. Keep in mind, all addiction is insanity because the A's are no longer in control of their choices. There is tons of information on this board on the "stickies" at the top.
Thanks for sharing,
TT
Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Plum,

this is a really good question. I think that a lot of "anons" end up using all sorts of different things to cope with the pain of dealing with a loved one's alcoholism or addiction. I've known alot of people that ended up with their own substance abuse problems because of unhealthy coping mechanism.

Valium and xanax are extremely addictive. Not a great way to cope long term with stress. Are you struggling with this or do you know someone that is having problems with this? The one thing that I know is that there is help......I use to drink way too much at times to cope with the pain involved with my loved one. I was fortunate and did not end up with a dependency. Fortunately, I began working a recovery program and over time realized that I was able to find other ways to deal with pain, sadness, and anger.

The most wonderful thing about the rooms of recovery is that there is no problem so dire that there isn't someone that hasn't experienced something similar.....and there are supportive people there for you....
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have been on lorazepam (ativan) for approx 17 years. My husband is in recovery after a 25 year (on and off) cocaine addiction. A doctor prescribed the lorazepam to me when I went to him suffering from anxiety. Now here I am 17 years later, terrified to come off them. I see how at peace my husband is now (he's in the program) and want what he has, but angry at the same time that this has happened. Just wanted to hear other people's experience who were or are in the same place as I am.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree, talk to your doctor about coming off this (or any) medication.

I was lucky with those. My doctor prescribed them for an "as needed" basis rather than daily or regularly, and that's all I took them for. Maybe two a month. In the end, my program helped me take care of the anxiety better than any medication, so I simply stopped. But even so, I talked to my doctor about this first, not because of withdrawls so much but to keep her informed as to any medications I was or was no longer taking.

Good luck...and please talk to your doctor.

Hugs