New Member: Trying to Stay Strong & Focused

Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

@libraylady, you have done the right thing coming here. I did 3 days ago. Please read as much as you can it helps. Your son can find places to go to get high, he can find somewhere to live. My son tried to get me to let him stay home again a few days ago. I stood up to him this time. I had to. Seeing what he is doing to his self and how he was treating me was killing me and he did not care. That is how I stumbled on to this web site.
Our area is small and I live way out. I was making phone calls all day. Crying and begging for someone to help me. There is not much in our area. I have found where there is a Al Anon meeting and when I get the nerve I will go. Please help your self. I know how you are feeling. It hurts so bad to think of them on the streets but believe me you are NOT helping him by letting him stay with you. I know you DO Dot want to hear that. Neither did I. I did not believe it either. I know what you are thinking too. I thought that also. But after so many tries and getting hurt and seeing I was not helping him I knew I had to do something to help me.
Good Luck. Read on. there are a lot of good people here.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am another mama of a heroin addict who no longer uses.

I nearly bankrupted myself financially, emotionally and physically trying to fix my daughter. Looking back I can see how I leveraged and manipulated her into premature rehabs/treatments. After 3 back to back rehabs I brought her home. She relapsed within hours.

She was demanding money of me else she would have to prosittute herself.
The situation was so bad that it came down to my own survival and I choose to save myself and disengaged.

Eventually, she cleaned up on her own and did so in her own timeframe, not mine. Perhaps that every single heroin addicted person she knew was either dead or in prison ( just like she was told in rehab) may have contributed to her own decision to get/stay clean.

Rock bottom does not live in your home.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Many have shared their experience and hope already I just wanted to welcome you to SR and let you know I care.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I lived in an Oxford House (Self Run, Self Supported, Addiction Recovery Houses) after I was in treatment. I was much older than 18 but my skills at being a responsible adult were way lacking, to say the least. Moving into the Oxford House was one of the best things I did for my recovery. I know it made a huge difference.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope things went well!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Reading these posts helps me so much. I found a small but really nice travel trailer to buy for my son. It won't break me and it will get him out of my house and on his own. I just don't know if it is a good idea or not-I just can't put him on the streets. I've vowed if I get him out of my home I won't let him come back. I just need to get him out before I really lose my sanity or my husband and I get a divorce. He says he's trying to get better and I want to believe him but I'm scared I'll be let down again. Your posts give me courage and strength.