I have to wonder....

Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I have to wonder....

I have to wonder would I ever chose TODAY to have a child with an addict or alcoholic (in recovery or not)....now knowing the statics????

I know children are a blessing but.......

I doubt I would never marry one again.....not matter how long in recovery. No offense to anyone!!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
I have to wonder would I ever chose TODAY to have a child with an addict or alcoholic (in recovery or not)....now knowing the statics????

I know children are a blessing but.......

I doubt I would never marry one again.....not matter how long in recovery. No offense to anyone!!
If I had only known when I met AH that he had traded drug addiction for addiction to high demand religion and one day he would return.... H E double hockey sticks NO WAY would I EVER have married him!!!! If 20 year old me could have seen 39 year old me right now, she would have run away screaming. I so envy the people who come on here and are dating or engaged and can still get out relatively easier.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by FindingErica View Post
If I had only known when I met AH that he had traded drug addiction for addiction to high demand religion and one day he would return.... H E double hockey sticks NO WAY would I EVER have married him!!!! If 20 year old me could have seen 39 year old me right now, she would have run away screaming. I so envy the people who come on here and are dating or engaged and can still get out relatively easier.
Oh I know! But hey, you still have 3 beautiful kids, a great career, a supportive father and brother (that I know of), and you are still young enough to rebound from all this. Lots of blessings still!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying. I wouldn't give my son up for anything, but I am emotionally exhausted. I try to live my life taking it for what it is and always learning. Always growing. Always seeing the positive. I don't believe in reget. But, just lately I have been starting to think "damn I was stupid". But, keep on trucking.

As far as dating an addict again...NEVER. I won't even date a smoker, and will keep a keen eye on drinking. My standards, expextations and self have grown !
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would not change a thing.
I have these awesome kids that are each part of me and my husband … that is so not a bad thing.

So what the addiction gene is there, that isn’t the biggest issue, and never will be… it is the dysfunction that is allowed to run rampant, that is the key, it will always be, one person at time, changing for the chance at a future for their children...