Why isnt this forum like NaAnon

Old 07-14-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why isnt this forum like NaAnon

I wanted to tell all of you that I have still been going to NA-Anon meetings on my own. Ive been to 3 so far. I found one that is further away and has a younger girl my age in it. After our meeting this week, we went out to eat and talked for a while.

Ive been reading here some. But I dont get why if most of you go to those meetings, why you dont act here like they do in the meetings?

People dont criticize each other there that Ive heard so far, and they do more listening than telling what to do, and then being mad if people dont take their advice.

I think that should be used more here. because it is nice.

My boyfriend and I are living together. Things are good between us and he is acting normal and working hard at his job. He is studying to pass another in a series of tests he needs to do. He does not like it that I go to meetings because he thinks they are a waste of my time we could spend together, so we dont talk about it and I try to read and stuff while he is not home.
Im not real into it, but Im giving it a shot for a while.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hi pinkchampagne. Are you going to the meeting of NA (Narcotics Anonymous) or Nar-Anon (Family & Friends of Addicts)? I just wasn't really clear on that from what you wrote. It is so good that you are going to meetings. Hang in there.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its for family. Nar-Anon. Because of my boyfriends past use.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still Standing

That's wonderful Pink. I go to Al-Anon because there aren't any Nar-Anon where I live. I would love to go to both meetings. Maybe there will be one around here one of these days.

And yes, I have been keeping up with all that you've been posting about you & your boyfriend. I'm glad that you've come back to update us on how you are doing.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Ive been reading here some. But I dont get why if most of you go to those meetings, why you dont act here like they do in the meetings?
One reason, is that you came into these rooms, from the very beginning, calling someone's addict daughter a drug ho, and yet tell us how wonderful & innocent your addict boyfriend is.
People dont criticize each other there that Ive heard so far, and they do more listening than telling what to do, and then being mad if people dont take their advice.
It's all in how you see it & where you're coming at the subject from. I saw everyone talking to you from a very offended place, after you were so offensive & hurtful. I also saw everyone here trying to give you advice, desperately hoping that you would listen to all of us who have personally been there, so that you could save your own life while you had an opportunity.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The rules or way each place is run works differently as well.
At meetings we do not talk about our addict much sometimes here some of us DO yet are often gently led back to remembering to focus on us and given examples of how. ESH, is shared both places yet here we are often more open about what we have been through.

I imagine it would be a sad thing if we had no where too talk about our feelings meetings are for us to help us as well as here however, here at SR. we also talk about what our A. is doing as well as what we feel, we ask for advice, give advice and sometimes just read.

SR is also somewhere people who have yet to tell anyone what is occurring in their lives can come and read, learn, and if they choose post without anyone seeing them, knowing who they are etc... some of these people do not even know meetings exist and learn many things here and sometimes it takes some of us awhlie before we are reading to try a meetings I know it did me and if I remember correctly it did you as well.

Both places do have other common threads one of which is

Take what you want and leave the rest.

I hope things are going good for you.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR is simply a different venue. Some choose to embrace the steps and traditions of a 12 step program here and others do not. The nice part about SR is that you can go into your own account and put those people whose input you do not value or find offensive on "ignore" if you'd rather not read their comments. It's within your control to get only the feedback you agree with........however.......in doing so you may miss some real gems of wisdom.

Either way....as crazybabie mentioned.....take what you need and store or ignore the rest.

I hope things continue to go well for you and boyfriend.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, in the begining of my recovery, I was very deffensive to anything I thought was rude or heartless. As I have been working a recovery program for a few years now, I am able to see things from a different angle. It took me a long time to genuinely see people trying to help me. It takes time for these people here to read your posts and actually reply to them. Time away from their families. To even want to share with you, their pain and try to have you see where you can stop yours is something beautiful. Maybe, try a little gratitude. You will be suprised how your thinking will change. We are all here with broken pieces and trying to put them back together!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Pinkchampagne & TanyaScared,
I am the Mother of an alcoholic/addict Son. When things started to fall apart in our lives, pertaining to my beautiful son, I had no idea what was happening. I was completely oblivious to anything pertaining to the effects of drugs & alcohol. I had NEVER been exposed to them or anyone who ever used them. I was very ignorant about that world, which is my world now, thanks to my son. I do understand about having NO CLUE. But I never would have dreamed of coming into any place that was filled with people dealing with any personal issue & being hurtful or insulting, like each of you have done.
Neither of you have any clue whatsoever, how much real pain that any of us here have been through, and I don't expect you to. But you each really need to step back and watch what you say in judgement here or anywhere else, where you have not personally experienced what someone else is going through. I thought that all of this could never be in my life, and everyone who knows my little family will tell you that we would have been the last ones anyone would believe would have ever been touched by the effects of drugs or alcohol problems. Well, guess what, I learned the hard way, that NO ONE is exempt from this horror. So please be careful what you say here, lest you have to wear your words later. And you two are willfully wading into depths of heartbreak & terror that you can't possibly fathom if you have never lived it before. You have no idea what pain that each of us here have had to endure because we have desperately loved & tried to save someone's life from addiction.

I'm just asking that you would each think about what you say & how you say whatever you say here, to people that have already been through so much pain in their lives. Some still have very open wounds & really don't need anyone to come in here & pour salt into them. I'm trying to explain this, knowing how it feels to be completely naive about drugs & alcohol & how it affects others.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

alrighty... we're done here.

OP - there are any number of NarAnon forums. Hope you can find one you like

Closed for FFSA mod review.

D