Is this true or would you agree??

Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Is this true or would you agree??

My husband says that until an addict reaches bottom and get helps, they do NOT even know they are an addict. The lies they tell themselves are unreal.

I always thought they knew, but just weren't ready to quit or were ready to go through withdrawals.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
My husband says that until an addict reaches bottom and get helps, they do NOT even know they are an addict. The lies they tell themselves are unreal.

I always thought they knew, but just weren't ready to quit or were ready to go through withdrawals.

I don't agree with that statement the way he's saying it.

Until an addict reaches bottom (whatever that may be for them) they do not seek help nor do they truly want to recover.

I knew I was an alcoholic long before I reached my bottom that made me desperate enough to seek help and actually do the work to recover.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agreed, my son knows he is an addict and is in denial that he could actually NOT be an addict. THe bottom is still in front of him somewhere.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

He says I typed it wrong...but I still have no idea what he is saying. lol

He says that he knew had a problem (but was not an addict) but could quit anytime.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I think you fool yourself into believing you are not an alcoholic but deep down inside you know you are.
I told myself all sorts of things so I didn't have to face my problem
I was in a very bad way when I finally faced up to my alcoholism but I had been in a bad way many times before. It was just this last time I finally did something about it myself. I went to AA. Then I accepted I was an alcoholic.
I think this could apply to all addictions but also I think each one of us has a different route to acceptance, reaching out for help and a desperate desire to change
I appreciate this is not specific to drug abuse but I hope it helps

Last edited by Hexipuff; 07-12-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
He says I typed it wrong...but I still have no idea what he is saying. lol

He says that he knew had a problem (but was not an addict) but could quit anytime.
Well, I don't know what he's saying then.

It is true that even though a person may know they are an addict or alcoholic they minimize it by lying to themselves.

I knew I had a problem but I THOUGHT I could quit anytime.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
Well, I don't know what he's saying then.

It is true that even though a person may know they are an addict or alcoholic they minimize it by lying to themselves.

I knew I had a problem but I THOUGHT I could quit anytime.
"Well, I don't know what he's saying then. "

Join the club!!

See, you understand...... lol
Old 07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Hexipuff View Post
I think you fool yourself into believing you are not an alcoholic but deep down inside you know you are.
I told myself all sorts of things so I didn't have to face my problem
I was in a very bad way when I finally faced up to my alcoholism but I had been in a bad way many times before. It was just this last time I finally did something about it myself. I went to AA. Then I accepted I was an alcoholic.
I think this could apply to all addictions but also I think each one of us has a different route to acceptance, reaching out for help and a desperate desire to change
I appreciate this is not specific to drug abuse but I hope it helps
Yes, thank you!!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I did not know I was an alcoholic, although I had witnessed it my entire life in my family, until a friend of mine who had gotten clean in the program TOLD me I was one. At first, I argued with them and refused to accept. Then, they pointed out to me that I could not even drive down the street without a cold beer in the glove box. That's when I started to think about it and accepted it right away (because I had witnessed it my entire life in my family) and resolved that I did not want to grow up to be like my dad.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

"He says I typed it wrong...but I still have no idea what he is saying. lol"

How does he know what you have typed?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my exAbf i don't think has admitted to himself that he is an addict probably more because of the perceived public stigma of what an addict or alcoholic is. he didn't even what to admit that he was a diabetic because that was a fat persons disease. he knows he use to take a lot of drugs, but i don't think he ever used the term "addict" even though he has been taking some sort of drug for over 20years.

like someone said...they are just in denial (even though deep down they know the truth) about how bad it is, because if they admit they have a problem, they might have to face it. and facing problems are hard and painful sometimes. best to just hide it and keeping drinking/taking drugs.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post
"He says I typed it wrong...but I still have no idea what he is saying. lol"

How does he know what you have typed?
Because I read it to him word for word........