My Daughter is back (for now at least)

Old 07-11-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Daughter is back (for now at least)

My daughter had the ROD procedure over a week ago now.

She is home living with us. She has now had 2 counseling sessions. The first one she came home and I later found her crying in her room because she said it was going to be more difficult than she thought talking about her feelings, and learning about addiction with the dr. And she said she was scared.

Today she went again, and she came home and said she felt drained. She then proceeded to curl up on the couch with a blanket even though it is 90 degrees outside.

Im not much help with the counseling, because Ive never had any. But Im hoping this is normal when you first start.

Other than that, things have been fine. She said she feels good. She is acting normal, had her girlfriends over one day, has been out with her boyfriend, started playing tennis again. She hasnt been moody, or grumpy. She has played in the pool with her brother, and watched movies with him.
He seems to be taking it all in stride and commented that he is glad she is happy again and being NICE to him.

We so far are not treating her any differently than we did before we knew about the drugs. She is acting responsibly. Helping out around the house, asking if its ok if her friends come over before inviting them, driving her brother to b'ball camp everyday, home when she says she will be. etc.

At the moment it feels like our daughter is back.

Hoping it will stay that way.

I know my questions stirred up some controversy, but I am so thankful that I came here and I have truly learned a lot in the weeks Ive been at this. I know I hav emuch more to learn as its not wise to assume this is over. Honestly that IS what I want to do. But I know I cant. We were not prepared for this, and I want to be better prepared if need be.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pop, thanks for the update. Just keep your eyes wide open!
Hugs,
Teresa
Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's very normal to feel sad, confused, overwhelmed and drained. IMHO, that's actually a good sign--she's part of the human race, acknowledging that it's harder than she anticipated (just being human is harder than I thought it would be, never mind dealing with addiction), and she is acting responsibly. And being nice to her brother! Can't ask for more than that right now.

Glad to hear things are as good as can be expected. Stay strong, keep learning, don't be too thrown by bumps in the road, cultivate peace.

Blessings.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From my experience, being emotional after some counseling sessions can indeed be normal and it can be draining as well. I pray your girl continues on the right path. She's very fortunate to have your support.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pop, I understand that it is very common for heroin users to fall into a depression after they stop using. My daughter went through this. From what I read, after enjoying the quick fix of heroin, the brain needs to relearn how to produce endorphins on its own (please, others speak up as I am not an expert in this area). I have read that this can take months for the brain to return to normal depending on how bad the previous heroin habit was.

My daughter relapsed three months after her first detox because she didn't realize that her depression would eventually lift and she was so sad that she just wanted the pain to stop. She's doing better after this second try because she is attending multiple counseling sessions, taking anti-depressants and attending weekly SMART Recovery meetings. BUT, even with all this help, and after 100 days clean, she still has moments of depression.

My daughter said that if she had know that the depression was typical and that she would eventually feel better after 3 to 6 months, she wouldn't have started using again after her first recovery attempt.

Best of luck to you and your family. This is certainly a nightmare that you wouldn't wish on anyone.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Depression is also a potential side effect of Vivitrol - the naltrexone shot she was given after the ROD. If it persists, she should let her doctor know.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to know things are going reasonably well.....one day at a time.

You, your family and your daughter are in my prayers.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Wanted to update again today. My daugher is doing really well.
She is basically back to normal activities, and her emotional state seems to be healing fine. The therapist that she has been working with was ready to cut her back to once a week already, but daughter asked me about it and we talked, and she decided to keep going twice a week for the rest of July and then if all is ok, go to once a week. That is her only sourece of treatment, so its very important.

Also she has to make a decision soon if she wants to take another injection of the drug that she had during her procedure. I forgot the full name now, but I think its also called Vivitrol or such. She doesnt really want to do it, but I think she probably should as it has not had any negative side effects this month.

She is playing tennis, volunterring with some of her friends at the animal shelter, swimming, normal behavior around the house, and with her brother. I am just so pleased.

Myhusband is like its all over now, and I have been letting myself go there also. Its hard to read here because it brings all the fears back, and I see so much struggle. Kids just like my daughter. But ive been checking in every once in a while, and I wanted to thank you all again for the support, information, and consideration you have shown to my family,
Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

pop, dont be scared about reading other peoples struggles, as it will keep you grounded about what COULD happen, but it isnt something you can control, so you can only be ready if something like that happens and deal with it. whats that saying i hear in here a lot, you are powerless to stop it or control it or change it. so you may as well be informed of what to look out for, and and have a plan of what to do if it happens, otherwise you can only hope that she continues on her current path. glad its going so well.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's such good news.

Continued health and healing to all of you.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad she is doing good
Old 07-31-2012, 01:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Itsthepop FANTASTIC. So happy for ya.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

Fantastic news. Good luck to you both.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So happy to hear your daughter is doing so well. It doesn't hurt that she has a mother like you. You were hearing a lot of tough, scary stuff in a very short time and, though it was hard, you kept coming back. I pray your daughter continues to heal and grow.

Blessings to you.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope your daughter continues on this path. Ultimately it is up to her and this may have been an experience that she doesn't want to repeat. Thank you for sharing that she is doing well......she is in my prayers today.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pop, I am so happy for you that your daughter is doing well with her recovery.

I was thinking about your question regarding her continued use of Vivitrol, and the thought popped into my mind that she will need it most when she returns to college. This thought made me wonder if she has a plan for her return? If I remember correctly, she began using while away from home and at school. Therefore, when she returns to college, she will be returning to her old environment.

Has she discussed this with her counselor and is there a support network for her at her school?

Just thought I'd share my concerns. Don't want you to start relaxing and enjoying yourself!