Spilled Milk

Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spilled Milk

I was reading from my Families Anonymous Today A Better Way and came across this thought I would share.

One evening, before we began attending Families Anonymous meetings, the addicted member of our family spilled his milk. Mom jumped up to clean the mess,
younger brother rushed to refill the glass, Dad lectured on table manners, the dog looked guilty, and the addict blamed the glass manufacturer.

Denying, enabling, rescuing, and blaming had become so "normal" in our home
that true ownership of feelings was nonexistent.

My working of the FA program has been a slow process of learning to trust that all of my loved ones are capable of cleaning up their own "spilled milk." It has been a taxing process allowing them to spill as much milk as required and then letting them clean it up in their own ways

And it's been a soul-searching process of sponging up my own spilled milk as well, a rewarding process of laughing, living,and loving my way through "gallons" of learning experiences.

Today I will give thanks to Families Anonymous, which teaches me that I am powerless over drugs, other people's lives and spilled milk !!!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been codependent from at least age 7 this was helpful for me on many levels most of which we all know, I was hoping to attend meetings and do the work and be healed yet, somehow thought it would not be a long process lol.

No telling how many gallons of milk has been spilled since I was 7. I will be sponging now for a long time glad I finally see that.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post Angie, I love "the Dog looked guilty"
Yep, I walk with two sponges in hand looking for the spills and I believe there are more spills because I worry so much of the potential of the spill before it even happens .
Codependency is a B*%&^tch isnt it?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

lol, I have always been a 2 sponger too.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love the analogy here. I can just envision all of that happening. Many families do this. Grew up on one. If only family living came a manual - but then I guess it does - the Bible.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yup count me in, im a sponger as well two or three at a time!!! sometimes, thanks for the laugh though imagining us sponging up milk is awesome!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that....I love it! I loved "the dog looked guilty too"......because it's sooooooo true! Perhaps dogs are codependent.

ANNOUNCEMENT: I am throwing away all sponges.....(but will keep a roll of Bounty for my own messes).

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
Thanks for sharing that....I love it! I loved "the dog looked guilty too"......because it's sooooooo true! Perhaps dogs are codependent.

ANNOUNCEMENT: I am throwing away all sponges.....(but will keep a roll of Bounty for my own messes).

gentle hugs
ke
I am so glad Bounty is the quicker picker upper

I love your announcement
Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cute story! made me laugh! we find things humerous usually because in it we find truth.
Thanks for Sharing!