Is there a time to move on from SR?

Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I come when I need it. My xah has made my dreams come true and has disappeared. But, I didn't realize how depressed and sad it would make me. This site has gotten me thru this year difficult painful year. Somedays, I'm good. Just let it be what it is and don't overanyalyze. One day, you won't need it. Because one day you will be a lawyer with a beautiful familt and this dude will be a blip. just let yourself heal.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Seeking, I just want to thank you for sharing the knowledge. Losing your child and still sharing so much with the rest of us. You always have something valuable to share.
I appreciate it very much.
TT
Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

for me, i think there is always a time when we need to move forward, but while you are giving and receiving something positive you will continue to stay.

but i guess if you are only staying to feed a need (e.g. co-dependancy or letting go issues) or are just a sick person who feeds off other peoples pain (haven't witnessed that hear but have seen it on other sites in my lifetime) then its unhealthy and might be time to move on.

i enjoy helping others, but i think that the reality is i don't have a lot experience in what this site is about. so i think my expiration date will be sooner than later. i stayed to help share my experiences (not necessarily drug related but i do have other experiences that i hope others have found helpful), but there are so many awesome people here that can say it better than I.

so will say thank you and goodbye in advance for all the help and support you have shown a stranger.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I first joined, coming to the site was like an obsession. As I progressed over the years, it became my place for strength and serenity. It never fails, whenever I have a struggle, I read something that enables me to grow. I spent years just reading and learning. I did not post for a long time - I was in such a horrible place that I didn't feel as though I could help anyone else. I recently started posting again b/c if it wasn't for the insight and guidance from other members, I wouldn't be were I am today. I hope that as I grow in my recovery I can offer the support that so many of the members here have done so many times for me. I also take the information here and apply it to other aspects of my life to help myself grow. I still deal with the addict in my life, he's the father of my children; however, coming here is about me and my growth. I hope to be able to help someone else one day.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I do think it is important to stop and reflect on the reasons you're posting on this site and sites like it.

If you're posting as a way to keep the drama of being in a codependent relationship "alive" even though you are truly ready to move on with your life, then that isn't healthy.

But, it's also possible to post with other motives. For example, I no longer require any support for my previous addiction and haven't for years. I post here purely because I believe there is value in the input of a person who has been contentedly abstinent for many years, and who can present a viewpoint which is different from the typical 12 step based one.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't need crisis support but the reminders are still helpful to me.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The choice is yours. I agree about not living in the past. That will screw you up. Live for now and enjoy the future. The past is there as a refrence only but do not harbour the negative... It will eat you alive! * Your contribution is valuable but do not feel obligated to hang around forever. Say your peace and then get on with your life... Only you will know when that is - for me I still have much to say and to hear as this is part of my healing of being involved with an addict . I wish you God speed and peace. My prayers will go out for you and your healing.