SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   What do you do for yourself? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/260745-what-do-you-do-yourself.html)

HopefulGF65 06-26-2012 10:30 AM

What do you do for yourself?

I came here when my ex was in full blown addiction and met some wonderful people, got alot of support, and read some heart-wrenching stores. I've come back here twice since, never being judged for taking a mini "vaca" of sorts, and have been allowed to slip back into the group. We are all at various stages but there is one constant - and that is the need to take care of ourselves. So I wondered, what sort of things does everyone here do for relaxation? Why not have a feel-good thread that we can share some ideas of what brings us some peace, even if for a few moments, in our lives. I hope you don't mind that I'll start - but I'm looking forward to hearing from others... :)

As life gets more difficult, I've found that simplifying becomes important. I've gone from being on the go constantly to slowing down and smelling the roses so to speak.

I have a newfound interest in beachcombing - off season or at night or very early in the morning in the summers - looking for seashells, seaglass and interesting rocks. I have never been too creative but this has brought out some interesting and fun projects not to mention how relaxing it is walking on the beach.

I search the internet for local farmer's markets, festivals, etc. - all that are free or minimal cost to visit. You meet folks from all over, get to sample some great food, and maybe even come home with a few nice trinkets or snacks.

I'm in the process of changing basically the entire design of my apartment - I've gone from a southwestern decor to a cottage beachy theme with relaxing natural and ocean colors. I'm a true believer in positive energy attracting positive energy (or manifestation, law of attraction - whatever you'd like to call it). One day I hope to move to somewhere more tropical and this is a nice start.

Before I go to bed at night, no matter how taxing the day was, I come up with 10 things that I am thankful for that is specific to that day only. It could be as simple as my cat spending extra time in my lap or that I ate healthy. It doesn't matter, it's my list and it reminds me that I really do have things to be thankful for each and every day!

lilyrosemary 06-26-2012 10:52 AM

well said. being thankful is something we can all practice, and benefit from.

Freedom1990 06-26-2012 11:05 AM

Love this thread! After years of raising two daughters by myself and engaging in unhealthy relationships, I found it so difficult to take care of myself!

A couple of years ago, I decided to get my nails done professionally, even though I felt guilty about it (I always put everyone else first). It got easier with time, and now I look forward to my "me" days, which have also expanded to pedicures, and hair cuts and coloring!

I have also started reading again, which I had quit years ago. I enjoy getting lost in a book.

I also decided to really make my home a home and start decorating to my tastes. My bedroom is African-themed. There is so much more but I am using my youngest daughter's laptop, and I can't type worth a poop on its keyboard! :lmao

HopefulGF65 06-26-2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 (Post 3461735)
Love this thread! After years of raising two daughters by myself and engaging in unhealthy relationships, I found it so difficult to take care of myself!

A couple of years ago, I decided to get my nails done professionally, even though I felt guilty about it (I always put everyone else first). It got easier with time, and now I look forward to my "me" days, which have also expanded to pedicures, and hair cuts and coloring!

I have also started reading again, which I had quit years ago. I enjoy getting lost in a book.

I also decided to really make my home a home and start decorating to my tastes. My bedroom is African-themed. There is so much more but I am using my youngest daughter's laptop, and I can't type worth a poop on its keyboard! :lmao

This made me smile....good for you! Taking care of ourselves (and yes, I know that guilt feeling and I don't even have kids so I can imagine) does not make us divas, just smart. :)

And that's awesome about decorating. It is soooo much fun to put together a theme from various stores, yard sales, Craigslist, lol, wherever, it's almost an adventure. You just have to have a story for at least a few things in your home!

ps - tell us more when you can :)

Jody675 06-26-2012 04:47 PM

after being in an unhealthy (emotionally) relationship for 14 years i too started spending time for just me. i found a love in motorbike riding, and a new set of friends to go with it. that is my me time.
when I'm with my kids we go camping. we pack up the dogs and all of our gear and find a lovely spot near a creek or beach and spend anywhere form 1-7 nights living by a fire and enjoying the outdoors.

amaslow 06-26-2012 08:15 PM

I dance. It is my bliss!! I have been dancing for years. In the past year I have learned West Coast Swong.. Go to Youtube and search it.. Benji Schwimmer and Myles Monroe are 2 of my favorites. I go to competitions and take workshops from world and national champs.. I also liek country western coiuples dance., east coast swing and Lindy Hop!

It is a great distraction from all the crap in my life!

HopefulGF65 06-27-2012 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jody675 (Post 3462186)
when I'm with my kids we go camping. we pack up the dogs and all of our gear and find a lovely spot near a creek or beach and spend anywhere form 1-7 nights living by a fire and enjoying the outdoors.

Camping is a lost "art"...with just about everything we do nowadays that is submerged in technology and instant gratification, camping brings you back to yourself and you get to actually hear yourself think and it forces you to enjoy the beauty around you. That's awesome...makes me want to plan a camping weekend soon!

Originally Posted by amaslow (Post 3462502)
I dance. It is my bliss!! I have been dancing for years. In the past year I have learned West Coast Swong.. Go to Youtube and search it.. Benji Schwimmer and Myles Monroe are 2 of my favorites. I go to competitions and take workshops from world and national champs.. I also liek country western coiuples dance., east coast swing and Lindy Hop!

It is a great distraction from all the crap in my life!

I've never heard of that first type of dance and I will check it out.

Thanks for sharing :)

amaslow 06-27-2012 05:05 AM

I made a typo... it is west coast swing not swong!