SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Courage to Change (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/260108-courage-change.html)

lightseeker 06-19-2012 10:38 AM

Courage to Change

I really liked the reading from today which included this line"Perhaps I can take a different view of my problems. If I accept them at face value without taking them personally, I may find that they are not problems at all, only things that have not gone as I would have liked."

I'm not sure why that shift in thought helps me so much but I notice that my victim thinking dissipates when I look at a "problem" that way. Things are definitely not going as I like but I'm grateful for any perspective that allows me the perspective of not being that victim.

I've got the 6th and 7th steps on my mind these days and am recognizing the characteristics that I am unable to change no matter what I do. These are my "cloudier" traits (at least to me) than the obvious ones like judgement, people pleasing, advice giving, etc. The ones I'm speaking about are shame, regret, sorrow, and being a victim. Those traits are keeping me from being the person that I believe HP has it in mind for me to be.

Anyone else in the 6th and 7th step mode these days? Just glad that I can humbly ask for these traits to be dealt with now that I have exhausted my own ideas (LOL).

MsPINKAcres 06-19-2012 10:45 AM

loved today's reading also -

"I can accept what is happening in my life and take responsibility for my response"

I don't have react negative just because negative things happen ~ what a blessing

PINK HUGS,
Rita

Ann 06-19-2012 03:29 PM

A saying much like that was one I heard early in recovery and it has stuck with me every since...

"If I can't change my circumstance, I can change my attitude". That thought has helped me through some tough times.

Thanks for sharing your light, I needed the reminder today.

Hugs

crazybabie 06-19-2012 04:09 PM

Just what I needed to read today thanks

greeteachday 06-19-2012 06:15 PM

I always related to the saying "when I change the way I look at things, the things I look at change" It's something I pull out whenever i feel myself slipping into a why me mind frame. Really helps me to shift perspective. Often it isn't what happened, it is just my perception of things. I am happy to say that the shift has helped me to believe there is always a positive even in the worst of circumstances. Seeking that positive (which is basically just making sure I always get back to gratitude) can truly change my reality. Thanks, Lightseeker!

lightseeker 06-19-2012 06:25 PM

Greet -

I think that you hit the nail on the head.....it's getting back to gratitude. I don't know why that struck me so today (it's not a problem, it just didn't turn out the way that I wanted, etc.) and as long as I get to a place of gratitude then all of a sudden my victim thinking begins to dissipate.

So...right now I am feeling REALLY grateful for each one of you....