Any hope out there?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any hope out there?

Are there any positive stories on this forum?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely - they're all through SR - there's a whole thread for people posting why they're grateful. There's a whole slue of those posting that they've had successful recovery for varying lengths of time.

I guess the answer to your question sort of hinges on what you consider a positive story. Personally I consider someone saying that they've been able to achieve 1 day sober, extremely positive.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This place is hopping with many positiver stories about people who are in active recovery from codependency.

There are also many long term recovering addicts who post here on a regular basis. Each and every one of them took full responsibility for their addiction and made recovery a top priority in their lives. Same deal for us codependents.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Helpful)) - I don't think there are that many stories of "my bf/gf/ah/aw is an addict but got clean and everything is GREAT". I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but most people here are struggling with addiction/codependency or both (like me) and our "success" is usually different than what we thought it would be.

As far as relationships..some last, some don't. I, for one, am really happy to see when I see people learn that they can be happy no matter what someone else is doing. I came here, totally convinced my happiness depended on someone else. I was so dysfunctional, I turned to drugs to "deal with" the feelings.

Thanks to SR, I have 5 years in recovery. I live in the same house with an active A and a raging codie but I no longer want to fix them. To me, that is a sucess story, but not anything I would have thought about in the beginning.

I guess, the more we learn about addiction and codependency, our version of "sucess" changes?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My son seems to be doing well since he moved out of my home in February. He's now talking about the day he will get his license back--that he intends to purchase a scooter. Right now he's taking the bus, saving his money, and being a support to his girlfriend and her daughter. Moving away from my home was the best thing he did--for both him and me. I'm calmer, not being in the front row seat of his life. I love it! My husband and I just got back from our vacation and there was no emergency calls tracking us down like a year ago when we discovered he was addicted to heroin and being sent to rehab by a judge. Only a year has past, and things appear to be going well for him now.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My story is positive in my eyes. I've removed myself and my daughter from a dangerous, toxic environment. My ex doesn't know where we live and I've changed my number. I'm putting my life back together and working very hard at that.
Sure, I'd like the happy ever after as much as anyone else. But I won't be getting that with him, he's violent and abusive aswell as being an addict and the best chance of happy ever after for me and my child is AWAY from him. It might not be your idea of positive, but my reality is very positive. I've escaped with my life, most of my sanity and I can raise my little girl in a happy, stable home where I can teach her EXACTLY what she's worth and EXACTLY how to demand the respect she deserves from everyone, including her father.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it is all a matter of perspective. If you mean the "he/she got sober and we lived happily ever after"...well honestly, I have not seen that as the majority on here. But if you mean people taking care of themselves, making healthy choices for their lives, getting out of toxic situations, then yes, I have read tons of posts that have inspired me and kept me going. I thank the Universe every day for coming across these boards. For me, my situation did not turn out as I initially hoped (I broke up with my boyfriend) and although I am still grieving, I would not trade my life now for where I was even last year at this time.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

5 years ago today, I relapsed and started smoking cigarettes again while my daughter was detoxing the first time. Two years ago she decided to stop sticking needles in her. Three weeks ago, I quit smoking again. I consider both of us a success, just for today
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thought I would jump in too.

My son has been in recovery now for 6 months...doing well and still working "his program".

My brother has recently relapsed after two years of being sober and is climbing back to a healthy/sober place.

Me....I am very much more out of their business than I was two years ago or even six months ago. I have been seriously working on my recovery and examining my role in balancing positive support for them as opposed to enabling them. I know how to set boundries for myself that aren't sneaky attempts at controlling their behavior. I have truly internalized the 3 Cs.

Yeah, I think I am a success story (to date) and I think that they are too in their own paths to recovery; in their beautiful imperfect way.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happily ever after? That's for kid's stories.How much more interesting a tapestry
being a part of people getting healthier,happier,and growing away from things
(like addiction) that hurt them.I decided long ago how boring paradise must be.
We are defined by our struggles,we own them---they make us authentic people.
I learned so much crossing paths with a life so bereft of hope.It sure as hell made
me ALOT more grateful for what I have.Study of addiction I was forced to do in order
to understand this dopamine short-circuiting-of-the-brain's pleasure circuits (addiction)
allows me to NOT mouth off stupid things like "Why don't they just decide to STOP!"

It's just not that easy.
But it CAN be done.

Some of these folks on SR are quite possibly the bravest folks I've come across.Their
stories are very moving.But none of them are 2 dimensional cutouts in a Disney movie
full of smarmy condescension.Some, if not many, are profoundly hurting.

They are authentic human beings.And I thank them for their understanding when I
needed it most.Yes,there is hope.You are reading it---on this thread and others.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ton's... I just signed up yesterday as I recently been few month's clean in my OTP program and just needed more support and have been feeling much better since here, just reading the posts and knowing I can empathize with so many of you has comforted me so much! Just keep scrolling the new posts you'll see.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In the last three weeks this is what has happened to me...

My beautiful granddaughter was born.

I was accepted as a monthly spiritual presenter at a beautiful treatment facility in town.

My old beater car broke down and for the first time I stepped up and bought myself some reliable transportation that I need for my small business.

I took a workshop and became certified to offer premarital counseling, which expands my offerings in the business that I am trying to grow.

I decided I needed an office and a week later signed a lease on a stunningly gorgeous office space in the very heart of the industry in which I work...I mean seriously beautiful (not as beautiful as my granddaughter...but ) and it was like the door to my work within my personal vocation just flew open.

I am solidly booked through the summer, and I CAN handle it!!

I can handle all of it, because I have learned to pray and I have learned to have faith in myself, and I have learned to trust that I am on the right path, and that I will no longer hold myself hostage in an anxiety ridden, depressing, life negating, evil way of addiction.

In short, life is unfolding instead of unraveling. My relationships are growing instead of spiraling out of control. I get to look into the eyes of my granddaughter who is only just beginning to see, and I know that she will see my face without the distraught distracted pain of betrayal.

This is, if nothing else, a very very happy BEGINNING.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vale View Post
Happily ever after? That's for kid's stories.How much more interesting a tapestry
being a part of people getting healthier,happier,and growing away from things
(like addiction) that hurt them.I decided long ago how boring paradise must be.
We are defined by our struggles,we own them---they make us authentic people.
I learned so much crossing paths with a life so bereft of hope.It sure as hell made
me ALOT more grateful for what I have.Study of addiction I was forced to do in order
to understand this dopamine short-circuiting-of-the-brain's pleasure circuits (addiction)
allows me to NOT mouth off stupid things like "Why don't they just decide to STOP!"

It's just not that easy.
But it CAN be done.

Some of these folks on SR are quite possibly the bravest folks I've come across.Their
stories are very moving.But none of them are 2 dimensional cutouts in a Disney movie
full of smarmy condescension.Some, if not many, are profoundly hurting.

They are authentic human beings.And I thank them for their understanding when I
needed it most.Yes,there is hope.You are reading it---on this thread and others.
That.....was one of the best posts I have ever read on SR. Beautifully stated Vale. Thanks for sharing.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

..thanks,Kindeyes!