Long Term Resdential Care- expensive decision

Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

MY good wishes are with you anf your D.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amaslow View Post
I have made the decision to send my daughter to Safe Harbor.. It was driving me crazy and no other good option showed itself. After researching prices, I really couldn't find anything besides the Salvation Army type programs that was cheaper.. it is important that she be in an all women's program and I think she deserves to finally get appopriate treatment. She has never been in a residential program, though it has been reccomended.

She will be able to get a job after 45 days, so that at least will be some help.. I am 62 years old an may not be around to help her 10 or20 years on the future, so if I can find a way to help her now that will make a difference in the rest of her life. I feel like I want to do it.. even if it means taking mone out of my meager retirement. It isn't like there is enough in there to provide much for me to live on anyway.

I am going to go forward in faith with a positive attitude that God will take care of me and my daughter. I don't have the luxury of a negative thought!
I replied to you earlier, but wanted to reiterate that I think picking a rehab is not an wasy task, and I think that you should be praised for trying so hard to find the best solution for your daughter. I picked one for my husband, and to me there is a huge difference in rehab programs. I dont think there is a one size fits all. People are all different, and have unique mental, physical, emotional needs.

I also picked a rehab center that pays special attention to the psychological aspects of addiction/recovery and has generous 1:1 counseling with its psychiatric staff. And you know witih my husband the doctors never suggested bipolar. So I would think if her doctors are seeing signs of illness in your daughter, then there is more than likely something going on.

I am so sorry that it is causing you a financial burden. But I agree that we have to follow our own conscious, trust in God to see us through and guide our decisions. Then just dont look back, look forward. You are offering her the best resources available, and what she learns here will hopefully stick with her for life. So even if she should suffer a relapse, hopefully she can fall back on this experience and the knowledge she gained, and find her way again.

I will be praying for your family.