What are you doing for YOU today?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you doing for YOU today?

Today I went to a career guidance appointment at the community college, I think it's time I start getting my plans in order! For those of you who have never seen me mention, I want to be a domestic violence support worker. I'm 21 but I have the life experience. I have a baby face though so I worry noone takes me seriously.
On Tuesday I was at the DV centre, which my sponsor happens to work at, and after my course she grabbed me and said 'Kate come here a sec'.. So I did, and she took me into an interview room and sat me down, put the office phone in one hand and the phone number for the college in the other. I'd been telling her I wanted to get back into education for aaages and I guess because of her job she's all about empowering. So I called and set up the appointment for today, it went really well and I now need to finish my courses and therapy etc and I can find a voluntary placement in a DV centre and then start being assessed through my work. I'm really excited actually.
I went to my meeting too, I really love my meeting because it's tiny and everyone knows each other so well, when newcomers arrive they tend to just fit straight in which is lovely. And now (it's 11.30 but I can't sleep!) I'm about to sit down with my step work! I love that my time is my own again, to spend doing exactly what I choose
So.. The burning question? What are you doing for yourself today? Steps forward, planning the future, being kind to yourself, anything!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

What an awesome day for YOU. You have come such a long way and are truly inspirational. Great job. XOX

I got my hair cut, eye brows waxed....then went and discussed a possible new business venture with a friend. I paid bills too which for some reason gives me a natural high. lol
Old 06-15-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! I hope you find something good to do for you each and every day.

Today I rested....planted flowers....had a glass of ice tea and a nice conversation with my dear husband. I planned the menu for tomorrow's celebration with my family.

It was a good day.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Beautiful post... Today I really focused on work and my value to the company. For the last 30 days I have been drifting at work, too obsessed with the AS to focus.
I plan on getting a much needed haircut and going to a baby shower tomorrow for a family friend.
I also plan on watching some "desperate housewives" marathon with my daughter. We started a few months ago with the very first season, now on mid season 2. Great show if you never watched it during first run
Old 06-15-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great thread idea.

I weed wacked my entire backyard. Helped a friend out by picking up a musician friend at the airport (lovely experience) Now about to enjoy a peaceful dinner on my deck; put my feet up and decide if I want to watch a movie later or read in a bubble bath........hmmmm.....
Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Update - went to an Alanon meeting. It was a great meeting too.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

what an awesome day you had Windmill! I'm really proud of you and think that it's great what you are doing.

I'm really glad that you posted this question (feels like a HP moment for me) because I really haven't done anything for myself in the last week. I've tended to my sons (graduation, leaving for Outward Bound, college orientation for oldest son, etc). All of a sudden I realized that I have been putting myself last.

So....on top for tomorrow is a walk, going to the pool to swim, dinner with a friend.

Thank you for the reminder!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All of you sound like you had a good day!
I love Desperate Housewives, although if I'm watching boxsets then SATC always comes out on top- definite guilty pleasure!
Today it's too early to function (6am) but later I will be watching The Sound Of Music and Oliver with Daisy, she's getting to an age where she loves watching musicals, and lucky for me, I never came out the other side of that phase! I'll also be phoning my bank because I managed to walk away from a cash machine without picking my money up (£60 aswell! About $90?) thanks to a massive demonstration for Sharia Law 10 feet away..
Lightseeker, it always surprises me when I get a 'message' like that. Ive never been a huge believer in a Christian God but I fairly recently realised there are WAY too many coincidences to put it down to just that!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am going on a 5 mile hike...yes me! Okay so it may be hike, mosey around, take some pictures, hike some more, snack and drink water, more pics and some more hiking....but it's all stuff I love. It's a perfect summer day to surround myself with nature and I am blessed to live in an area with literally hundreds of great hiking trails.

I love our "all about me" days, and you have inspired me to make more time to just take care of me.

Hugs
Old 06-16-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Last night I went to the movies and today I will work on my steps and then play lazy
Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats for you! I am going to the beach to relax with family! Much needed
Old 06-16-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jealous of everyone doing outdoor activities today.. It's been raining solidly for weeks in the UK!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went for a 40 minute walk, listened to the birds sing, and topped it off with a 20 minute bike ride. It was a perfect morning!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I quite smoking again today. I have "relapsed" time after time but this time I am going to beat my addiction. I can only control me and I have control over my choices. I choose NOT to smoke.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks Windmill! Today I went for a walk to the park with my dog, then went swimming with a friend, and am now on my porch and grilling some steaks.

I thought about you and this thread today and felt a whole lot of appreciation for getting back on track!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

your day sounds awesome windmill and sounds like you are on a great path for you to follow.

well i spent the night with a friend at the romantic destination i had booked for my now ex bf so i took a female friend and we just hung out. we rode our motorbikes around the mountains and had a lovely day.

the rest of my day was a lot more sobering and i won't ruin your thread with the details. but will say...life is short everyone so get out and live life the way you have always wanted to for you just never know what is around the corner.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How inspirational Windmills! Way to go. Love the positive thread!

After a couple of months of doom and gloom I decided enough is enough and decided to join my club for a horse ride on the coast. Nothing like the great outdoors, the sun shining down on a winter's day and the wind in your face to blow out all the cobwebs.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had a nice glass of wine with dinner tonight. Dry rose, my favorite! I also moisturizer my skin with oil and put on socks and long sleeves.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My step-mom is on her way to pick me up and I will be spending the night with her and my dad my cat lives with them so I will get to see her and I love their dog.

So for Tuesday and part of Wednesday I will be spending some quality time with family and I will be in the country so far out that I can sit on the back porch and watch the deer steal the peaches off the trees.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sleepwell that sounds amazing. I used to ride, I was actually training to be an instructor when I was 16, but the school I worked for closed down and as I'm in a big city there are no other yards around here. That's definitely one for the list when Daisy is older though
Today I don't think there's going to be much time for me, I'm babysitting 2 toddlers and my own will be here too.. I'll probably get some step work done tonight if I survive