Big step for me

Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big step for me

I asked someone if they would consider being my sponsor, she said yes without hesitation. I am not quite sure of what the next step is suppose to be but I know for me that this was a big step in the right direction.

I have been finding myself not wanting to attend my meetings I have been going but feel I was having to force myself when I should be running to them.

I did bring this up in my meeting last night and others did say they were that way in the beginning so at least I know it can be the norm for some.

I need a sponsor so I am held accountable plus all the other reasons.
I surprised myself getting the courage to finally ask someone.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Good for you crazybabie. a sponsor can be a difficult person to choose. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Having a sponsor throughout all my years of recovery has been a blessing!

That is terrific you took that step, and I wish you the best on your journey of self-discovery.

Sending you hugs of support!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go ((Crazybabie))!! You felt the fear and pushed through it

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post
I have been finding myself not wanting to attend my meetings I have been going but feel I was having to force myself when I should be running to them.
That's how I felt about seeing my therapist. It was a choice I made, I knew I was beginning to see daylight, I was always glad I went, but but but... he told me I was being passive aggressive about it. I knew I needed to do the work, I just didn't want to make all that effort. I was like a little kid dragging her heels

I don't know if that's the way it is for you, but thank you for the opportunity to share that.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I, too, sometimes have to push myself to get to a meeting...or to exercise...or clean the windows...or weed the garden...or whatever it is that feels inconvenient. And, without fail, when I "just do it" as the commercial says, I end up if not actually enjoying it (which often happens), at least I feel glad I did it.

When I think of all the times I am reluctant to do something as simple as these things, I think of the addicts and alcoholics whose resistance makes mine seem so insignificant. Would I have what it takes to do what the people who are in that kind of recovery are doing? I don't have great big stumbling blocks in my way, I don't have brain damage from substance abuse (though I may have some from dealing with my AS), I haven't spent years living in such a twisted, dysfunctional way that mundane, normal, everyday activities are foreign to me.

I have life skills, I had a decades-long career in newspapers as an editor and writer, I am surrounded by family and friends who are intelligent, sane and supportive, and with all of that I can still be a pill about doing what I know needs to be done.

All that being said, I don't think it's at all abnormal to drag your feet to a meeting, or feel some anxiety or hesitation about finding a sponsor (I have yet to do that with my FA group--have yet to meet all the people on the phone list who are designated as available, and don't feel any particular inclination toward the people I have met).

I look forward to hearing how your brand new sponsor relationship unfolds, crazybabie. Always in my prayers...
Old 06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done its scary isn't it, I was terrified to actually ASK my sponsor- even though since we met we have spent easily 3-4 hours a week on the phone, often much more, and it was really just a formality at that point. For me it was important to find someone I 'click' with, we have a good laugh and talk about loads of things that aren't related to the program at all. Glad you found someone
Old 06-15-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That IS a big step! There are times that I don't feel like going to a meeting too. Like last night, I was exhausted. I made a choice for ME to come home, eat, and go to bed. It is what I needed last night more than a meeting......and that was ok. As long as I don't make that the norm and I recognize that it was just what was important for last night. But I also go to 2 (sometimes 3) meetings a week so if I miss one, I know that I still have my recovery on target.

Good for you Angie.....your recovery is shining.

gentle hugs
ke