wondering about addiction

Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

wondering about addiction

Hello everyone, 29 years sober, newly diagnosed with Lupus, and wondering about the adictiveness of the following drugs that have been prescribed for me.
Prednisone, plaquenil, (hydroxychlnoquine) naproxin, methotrexate, folic acid, and amihyhline.
Thank you all for taking time to read and reply.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

We really do not and can not give any medical advice per the rules of
the site.

I would suggest you read the paperwork for each drug that came with
your prescription and also Google each one.

I think doing those two things will give you your answers.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello,
I am NOT asking for advice,would just like to hear from some one that has taken these drugs,I am scared to death of pills,and don't have a lot of trust in the ams view of OUR problem. Have read and read and have found nothing that tells me how additive they are.
thank you
oldgrowth
Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not familiar with any of those except prednisone. But was only prescribed for short period of time. Have you discussed your concerns in depth with your doctor or pharmacist? They would/should be able to help address your concerns.
gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self-Recovered

old growth,

Congrats on the 29 years.

I am sorry to read of your struggles with Lupus. I think the personal responsibility you are taking in educating yourself on the medications you are prescribed is wonderful.

I am not a medical doctor, but do have personal knowledge and experiences.

I would suggest talking to your doctor, the pharmacy, and reading any literature you can find on the medication to see if they have the potential for abuse or addiction. I would suggest having a second doctor to review your files and prescriptions as well - this gives you 2 sets of eyes on your treatment.

None of the medications that you listed ring a bell of being medications that are normally addictive to my knowledge.

One is a steroid and another is a pain reliever, but tends to be compared to alieve, which is not a narcotic.

I understand the fear you have in taking medications.

I think finding a doctor that you do trust and a pharmacist you trust is the key. They can give you the best medical advise outside of personal experiences.

Carrie
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had prednisone and naproxen (not addictive or mood altering), but not any of the others. I'd google all of them and call the pharmacist, too, to put my mind at ease. And maybe post in the pain management forum again
Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello again.
The problem I am having is either one of these pills or a combination of them IS mind altering. I am not trying to start a riot. All I really want is a little more information from a different viewpoint. The AMA is not understanding of the degree of our problem with addictions.
Every place I have looked, in any of the search engines, will not tell me anything other than what the AMA says. I have seen a book about 27 years ago after I put myself in a recovery program, a year and 2 months sober, because I thought I was going crazy. That is when I really started to get emotionally sober. Somewhere there has got to be a web site or a book the same as the one I saw before giving AA's interpetation of addictive and or mind altering drugs.
Please help.
Oldgrowth
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldgrowth View Post
Hello,
I am NOT asking for advice,would just like to hear from some one that has taken these drugs,I am scared to death of pills,and don't have a lot of trust in the ams view of OUR problem. Have read and read and have found nothing that tells me how additive they are.
thank you
oldgrowth
I do understand your fear of the medical system. As someone who is allergic to drugs and chemicals and not knowing if something is going to hit me hard enough to knock me to the ground, I don't like how some new drug or pill is being push down our throats. I say that as a former pharm. tech.

As stated we can't give you medical advice. As someone suggested read all the info that comes with the drugs. There is holistic medicine in this country, you just have to be willing to seek it yourself and pay for it out of your own pocket.

Knowlege is power. Don't be afraid to look at all options of treatment before making up your mind of what healing path you want to take.

God Bless and good luck.
Chrisy
Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you very much
oldgrowth
Old 06-01-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try putting your internet search in the form of a question, such as.... Is Plaquenil addictive?
it should bring up forums of people that share their experiences with taking that medication (like this forum shares experiences of being a loved one of an addict).