My RAD saved a life today

Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My RAD saved a life today

A young special needs boy was running back and forth across a very busy street today. My daughter became concerned because she didn't see an adult anywhere, so she kept one eye on him.

When she saw an SUV coming, and the little boy running from his yard to the street again, she knew she had to act. She ran out and grabbed him, both of them rolling and tumbling to the other side of the street. The SUV slammed on the brakes and swerved onto the sidewalk.

Another woman, who works for DCS, saw what happened and called the police. When they arrived, the grandpa came out and my daughter said he seemed very confused. The police officer said everything was ok, but the DCS lady said if he didn't report neglect she would report him, too. She didn't budge and my daughter said she wasn't letting the boy go, either.

The four of them waited for the parents to arrive and a formal report to be made. The grandpa had already gone back inside his house.

There are quite a few people out there tonight, who have no idea that my daughter had to choose to save her own life first, before she could save his. I'm full of gratitude for the miracle.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - Wow, good for her!! It doesn't surprise me, though. When I think of how far you've both come since I've "known" you, I definitely feel "miracle"

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

God bless this young woman. You must be so proud of her. Saved a helpless childs life, and hopefully might also help things be safer from here on out, if they hold someone accountable for his care.

what a frightening thing it must have been though. brave girl.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm just so grateful! They both only had minor scrapes and bruises, and she said she was careful to put her arm around his head when she grabbed him, so he wouldn't get a concussion. She still remembers her first concussion when she was 3 or 4 years old.

Anyway, she called a little while ago, was driving around and just wanted to talk. Said she was still feeling the adrenaline. Then I remembered she has general anxiety disorder, used to have panic attacks all the time, and she has PTSD, too. She declined an interview with our local newspaper because of all that. I didn't ask but she said don't worry, she wasn't going to self medicate, she'd be ok. Right now I have every bit of faith that she's right, she'll be ok
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Chino)) -she will be okay..she's had a good role model in you

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just WOW!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amazing and truly a miracle.
Love
TT
Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wasn't sure about posting last night because I don't know that it offers any ESH to anyone. I was honestly in a bit of shock and needed to share. I'm still kind of in a daze.

I was the first person she called and heard the police officer ask to take her statement. Then I called her apt complex and asked the mgr if she was ok. She said my daughter was a hero and that word is still sinking in.

She's always been like that, so it's not like this is a surprise. She could have died, but so could have that little boy. She could have died a thousand times already from all sorts of things, but so could any of my loved ones. I'm always aware of the dangers my husband and son face every day because of our construction company.

The more I think about this, my after the fact relief that everything turned out well, I realize I've focused so much on her addiction and recovery, that I've taken her for granted. I've taken a lot for granted with all my loved ones. Sure, I take every opportunity to hug them and tell them I love them, but I've slipped somewhere and not taken every moment and opportunity to truly appreciate the gift they are. It's time to change that
Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now that's very cool. Good to know that they are both ok. It could have turned out very differently for that boy if not for your daughter's quick thinking.

Enjoy the moment.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think we get so lost in their addiction and all the pain they cause that we sometimes forget that they really are the good kids we raised them to be under all of the problems. If you have ever doubted what kind of parent you really were (as I know I have) now you know you are the kind of parent that raised a great daughter.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear Chino-

My son is autistic and acts just like that little boy. I spend almost 24/7 keeping him safe from himself. Sometimes I feel alone in a world full of people, but this story melted my heart. Your daughter risked her life for this child. The same kind of children society doesn't understand, and honestly I wouldn't either if I didn't have to. She is very special your daughter. This story means so much to me. Hope.