My boyfriend is in rehab

Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My boyfriend is in rehab

Hi everybody,

I'd like to share my story with you. I'm a french girl working in United for 8 months, I met my boyfriend 6 months ago just after he went to a 3 months rehab.
He was honest with me from the beginning confessing that he used to do heroin to go through his anxiety but that rehab helped him a lot and he was feeling good.

Everything went well for 6 months, we're even planning to move to France together where he'll have a job, and where we'll live together.
But two weeks ago, he started feeling anxious again and didn't trust himself at 100%, we made the choice together that he should go back to rehab for a month, just to be sure...

He left yesterday and I already miss him so much, he is scared of me not being there in a month, and I'm scared of him changing so much that he would not want to be in a relationship with me anymore.
I read a lot of threads about rehab, and most of the people said that rehab change a man. I'm proud of him for doing it, I know it's good for him, for us, but a part of me is selfish and scared as hell.

Also, I don't have any friends to talk to here, and I don't know what to do with myself, I think about him day and night.

I hope, I could find support here, it's hard to deal with this situation alone.

Thank you...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.....there are many here who understand your fears.

It is a really good sign that your boyfriend recognized his vunerability and voluntarily went back into rehab to reinforce his recovery.

There's a lot of anxiety involved in moving to another country. You've lived it. Some people have that built in sense of adventure.....others.....not so much. This may be very stressful for your boyfriend but he is doing what he felt he needed to do to stay clean. Your support of his decision is important.

Fill your time with things for you. Perhaps check out an Al-Anon or Nar-Anon meeting. It would be helpful for you to understand addiction and codependence (regardless whether you are codependent or not, it's important to understand it so you don't go there).

Breathe. And take it one day at a time.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank for you answer and advices!

I feel much better, we talked on the phone, and write to each other every single day.
He sent me a list of Nar-Anon meeting close to my house, I'll go.

I'm trying to be positive to be able to support him as well as I can.

Niexet