Girlfriend addicted to K2/ "Spice"

Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Girlfriend addicted to K2/ "Spice"

Hello all,

Two days ago I got off work and came home and found my girlfriend in bed bawling her eyes out. When I asked her what was going on, she became more upset and said "I have something to tell you, I'm addicted to k2," and continued to tell me how she gets it and when she does it and all of that. For a little bit of background information, she is active duty military and is stationed about 3 hours from home so she only is able to come home on the weekends, and every week on my days off of work I stay with her on base. The only reason she told me about her problem that night is because at some point in the evening she lost her supply and couldn't find it. As she was telling me about her problem I watched her frantically search her pockets and jacket and anywhere she thought it might be. Then she said that she had a little bit in her car that would be just enough to get her high, and wanted me to take her to her car. Obviously I said no, because for one thing I cannot be around those types of substances, I am in the law enforcement field of work, and for another thing I just don't want these substances in my life or in my girlfriend's life for that matter. The next day (yesterday), we continued to talk about her problem, and as I took her to get her car I got out and made her give me all of the k2 she had. When we got home, I made her flush it down the toilet. I told her that I cannot and will not be around this type of thing and that I cannot afford to lose my job because that is what will support us when she gets out of the military. She insisted that she would quit and promised me that she won't buy it or smoke it again. I want to believe her, I really do, but I also know that addiction is a really bad thing and there is a good chance that she will break that promise. I did not give her an ultimatum (me or the k2) because I don't want to lose her in the sense of a relationship but at the same time I don't want to lose her in the sense of the addiction, if that makes sense. I guess really my question is how do I be supportive to her and help her work through this. I spoke with a recovering addict last night who has been clean for 7 years who told me that as bad as I want to, I can't be her savior or her knight in shining armor - she will have to want to quit, and I know that. It will have to come from within her. I am just so worried about her and this is literally eating me alive. I can't sleep or eat anything and am just stressed out to the max. Any comments or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Your friend is right, unless she wants to get clean nothing you do or don't do will make any difference. Most of us here who have addicted loved ones have tried everything and nothing works, if love could save our loved ones, not one of us would be here.

You might try Al-anon or Nar-anon, to help you regain your balance and deal with this in a healthy way. You are in an even trickier situation than most of us, you could lose your job over this, or worse, face charges yourself.

I'm sorry you are going through this and hope you'll stick around for some support here.

Hugs
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.....I'm sorry you felt it necessary to look for this kind of support but i will say that SR is a great forum. Addiction is such a baffling and cunning disease.

You do have a particularly tricky situation being in law enforcement. It seems unfair that you could lose your job because someone you love is addicted. No decisions need to be made today and more is always revealed with time. One thing I have learned through this process is patience.....that has never been a virtue of mine.

Take it one day at a time.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann and Kindeyes for your posts. I think I will go to an NA meeting to see if I can get some more insight. I talked to my girlfriend this evening and she said she is having bad withdrawal (can't eat and sleep) but hasn't done the drug since the night I found out about her problem. I just hope she is being truthful. Yesterday after she promised me that she wasn't going to do it anymore, I also told her that if a point in time came that she broke down and did the drug, I wanted her to be honest and tell me. I don't want anymore lies or omissions. She will be out of the military next week and here with me. I think it will be easier for her to quit after she gets home for good. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.