Temporary Guardianship

Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Temporary Guardianship

I have a quick question about kids involved when one of the parents goes to a year long recovery program and is divorced. Can the parent in recovery appoint temporary guardianship to a grandparent while they are away? In this case the father is in recovery and the mother is saying for the kids sake she will allow them to see their grandparents and myself but its out of the kindness of her heart not because she has too. Our thought is without a legal right she can change on a whim and use this for her advantage. We would prefer a more legal avenue to have the ability to see them than her "kindness".
Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Welcome, my advice would be to consult with an attorney, verbal agreements do not cut the mustard.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

States vary on these issues. There is such a thing as Grandparents Rights. Seeking legal counsel will answer your questions.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree, laws vary from state to state and country to country.

Is the father agreeable to this?

Wishing you well and bless you for keeping an eye on the child.

Hugs
Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Just an FYI..a notarized agreement means nothing!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In our state, there are essentially no rights for grandparents. My son's exgirlfriend (mother of his son) no longer allows us to see our grandson. There is nothing I can do about it. I could embark on a huge legal battle but I don't think this would be healthy for my grandson.

I was very involved in my grandson's life until last October. His mother decided that she no longer wanted him to have contact at all with his paternal family. So I not only grieve for my son who is lost to drugs but I grieve for my grandson who was another casualty of addiction. His mother has chosen to terminate the special bond that he and I had. A child gets so much from the pure and gentle love of a grandparent. This has been taken from him. It's sad.

My attitude? If it means that it gives my grandson even the smallest advantage toward not growing up to be an addict like his father, it is worth it. I love him enough to give him that chance. I know that my sweet grandson (he is six) is loved and well cared for. That is comforting.

I understand that my situation is different than yours. But I truly feel that when a child is placed in the middle of any kind of battle, they lose.

I'm so very sorry that you are having to deal with this. Ultimately, children are the most precious collateral damage to addiction. But grandparents hearts get broken too.

gentle hugs
ke