Confession of an addict

Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
To all the young women here on SR who are living the fantasy that the addict in their life would never do this to them......I could never imagine that my son could do this.......never. Protect yourselves. Press charges if he hints at violence. Make him face the consequences of his actions.....or it will happen again.....and again. Trust your gut. If you are even slightly afraid, there is a useful purpose to that fear. Take care of you.
I wish someone had given me that advice a few years ago. But that's okay, because I came out of the relationship with the two most wonderful blessings I can imagine. Silver lining and all.

My heart hurts for you. I can't imagine dealing with addiction in one of my children-- though with our family history, the odds are high that one day we'll be at that point.

I see my mom going through the same things all of the mothers on here post about, and I know that my experience with AH doesn't compare to seeing your child go through this.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I am sorry for the pain that has brought you here but thankful for the recovery you share with all of us.

God Bless!

xox
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Big hugs Kindeyes

Your insight never fails to amaze me and I am inspired every time I read your postings!
Old 05-17-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was saddened and very sorry to read your story. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the inspiration you give others.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear this. Sometimes addiction makes good people do bad things.

Praying for you, your son, and the woman involved.

Hugs.
<3
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CanfixONLYme View Post
Big hugs Kindeyes

Your insight never fails to amaze me and I am inspired every time I read your postings!
I always feel the same way when you share. I will be praying for you and your son and the girl as well. I know that had too feel terrible yet I am glad you know he is alive. :ghug3
Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's funny. I see nothing particularly inspiring about my post. It is an admission of my own failing and lapse into CodieVille. lol

My therapist suggested that I remove my son from my facebook account where he is listed under family as my son. I told her that I couldn't do that. It was just too much for me to do. He is my son. And it just hurts my heart too much to remove him. BUT as a compromise, I set it up so that his posts do not hit my page. This is so that I won't be surprised by his posts popping up on my page unexpectedly and I actually have to purposefully go to his page to see his posts.

Do you see the codependency in this?

I guess it provides me some level of control of the timing of seeing anything he might have to say.....but that doesn't make it any less codependent.

I'm doing well this morning.

But to admit to my continuing codependent activities.......I was very busy at work yesterday so I didn't have the time to think or worry about what was going on. The police never showed up.

(Here comes the admission).

I checked his facebook account again and was amazed at the outpouring of support and encouragement he was receiving from his friends. No one condoning what he did but many asking him to please get help....that they miss the old him. It was almost a facebook intervention of sorts. Many of his friends are in recovery and asked him to call them or get to a meeting. I went one step further into Codieville and posted as well. Simply telling him that his family loves him and that we will support him in recovery if/when he chooses that path.

There were a couple of posts suggesting that he didn't write the post.....that someone hacked his account and wrote it. Who knows. Perhaps those two women who questioned the post are codependent.

Time will reveal more.

Thank you again to each of you who took the time to read this and send your warm and loving hugs. It is more appreciated than you could possibly know.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hang in there KE. Big hugs, prayers, and positive thoughts from me today.
~T
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

((Kindeyes)) I understand how you feel about not removing him from your Facebook account. Seems to me that limiting seeing posts until you choose to deal with them is a reasonable approach. I don't know but having the ability to know that our children are still there can be a comfort. Now....if you were jumping in, posting and trying to solve his problems for him that would be Codie behavior. You seem to be managing your responses in a very healthy way to me!

Your admission of posting too seems fine in my book - you are encouraging him to help himself. That too is a positive. I am rather new at this with my son but have given myself permission to support any active recovery he is involved in. By that I mean I listen (actively) to his talk about recovery but I tangibly only support demonstrated action. And....I remind him of my position periodically so that he is clear about my approach.

Just don't get obsessive now about checking in......I know I would have difficulties with that one myself! My son removed himself from Facebook ....must be one of very few of his generation that doesn't like it......he prefers his interactions with people to be in person and got tired of all the "drama" associated with random postings. At any rate removes one aspect of supporting my codie behavior so I am thankful!

I hope the mini intervention from his friends helps though....you never know what that one thing will be that helps them move into a more positive space.

Keeping you and your son in my thoughts......and hugs to you today!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
It's funny. I see nothing particularly inspiring about my post. It is an admission of my own failing and lapse into CodieVille. lol
The admission inspires others to own their stuff, too. We (humans) mimic and take our social cues from each other. If we don't know see others owning their stuff, we may not ever learn how healthy and balanced it is.

The other thing that was inspiring, is that you didn't whine about it. I don't know if that's ever been an issue for you, but it was the hardest habit for me to break.

There has always been a certain gracefulness in your posts, and it's very inspiring to me
Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
The admission inspires others to own their stuff, too. We (humans) mimic and take our social cues from each other. If we don't know see others owning their stuff, we may not ever learn how healthy and balanced it is.

The other thing that was inspiring, is that you didn't whine about it. I don't know if that's ever been an issue for you, but it was the hardest habit for me to break.

There has always been a certain gracefulness in your posts, and it's very inspiring to me
Dang Chino.....that's about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

hugs to you!
ke