Random question about non-disclosure agreement

Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Itsanewday , you asked
But, would a background check with records from 10+ years ago inhibit his ability to get a job?
Of course it could hurt his chances at getting a job, ruin them totally in some fields. I run checks all the time and we go back as far as we can.
Another factor which might be more important is how he is answering the question on any applications about if he has a criminal history. Is he lying or telling the truth, the truth is always the best, because if he lies in all likelihood they are going to find out in time anyway.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

When I said don't sign, I should have explained my reasoning.

To clarify, I have reviewed, negotiated and signed many in behalf of the corporations I worked for.

With that being said, these were not signed on a personal basis. Before I would sign one on a personal basis I would consider the following:

Have a reputable attorney review and negotiate the document. If it is not worded properly, it could be opening you up to future frivolous litigation.

If you sign an NDA with someone who is litigious by nature and frequently feels things have been taken from them, you may be putting yourself at unnecessary risk.

Will this person do anything to fight for what they think is right. If only on principle.

You know him,is he the type of person you want to fight with in court? Anyone can sue for anything today, and defending your position in court will be very expensive.

Lastly, one hires an attorney to interpt the law and legally represent your position. The business of your life is up to you to determine, not the attorneys.

Just my two cents, you need to do what you are comfortable with.

Take care.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm no expert on legal agreements, but if I were in the position you are in I would be very hesitant to sign anything without legal council. Why drive yourself crazy wondering about the ulterior motive?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hm, I wouldn't sign without seeking legal advice. Addict or not, some people have ulterior motives and end game plans that you just didn't see coming. It's not a personal attack against KelleyF's boyfriend, it just is what it is.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with the above, I would sign nothing without legal advice.

To be honest, I would be most unlikely to sign something that someone else requested that affects me and what I do and yet they bring nothing to the table.

I prefers phrasing that would be more along the line of "as long as he maintains regular child support payments, remains clean and behaves responsibly....then I will...." You don't know what HIS future behaviour will be, and you may need to be free to discuss how it is today when protecting yourself tomorrow.

Slander and Libel are against the law, with or without an agreement, giving up my personal rights and freedoms to anyone makes me squirm.

Just my thoughts.

Hugs
Old 05-13-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - I just tried to respond to all the posts and it didn't go through - drat. So, I will keep this one short and sweet.

Side note - the reason why this all came up was ex-husband has been diagnosed w/ bipolar before we met (10+ years ago). Now he says he isn't and had been "misdiagnosed" all along. The issue came up as he met with a new provider to confirm diagnosis/misdiagnosis. The NDA request came up as I want the results of his visit. Also, he hasn't been on meds since he has been in recovery and states he was misdiagnosed because he hadn't dealt w/ his "addict".

I talked with my attorney and she said okay to sign. She said, "isn't it better to sign and get information on your ex's mental and chemical dependency status so you have to protect your child than to not sign"? I also talked to another attorney who didn't have a concern with me signing. I do wonder the ulterior motive (ex always is fabulous at manipulation), but....

I can also use information for legal proceedings to continue to protect our child.
Ann - good point - I can be sued either way - agreement or not...

I do have close friends and family that I would like to be able to discuss the situation in confidence, but I guess that is what I have counselors and SR for????

I have been offline for a few days and appreciate everyone's kind words and encouragement.