Paying drug addicts to get sterilized?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paying drug addicts to get sterilized?

Just read this article and was wondering how some of you would respond. I'm speechless.

Should addicts be sterilized? - Salon.com
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not going to read the article.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The far right, as the artical says? Think again.

Forced sterilization gets to ugly heart of arrogant progressive agenda « David McElroy
Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Heartbroken0608 View Post
Just read this article and was wondering how some of you would respond. I'm speechless.

Should addicts be sterilized? - Salon.com
I would respond by saying that addicts are, like those who love them or disparage them, children of God. I couldn't finish reading that...
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Laughable. That is the most absurd thing I've ever read. That is going to do nothing in the long run.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We as a broke government would save millions in welfare money by offering this to all people, not just drug addicted ones. Lets face the fact that some people should never have children because this will bring generations of non productive drains of society.
It may sound cruel, but this country is on the verge of financial failure and forcing people off a life of assistance is going to have to start one way or another.
Have a nice night!

Chapter - It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Clean) - YouTube
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

An old, discredited argument. Eugenics is a very appealing idea to
the low,the uneducated,and the hateful---and always will be.The crux
of the matter will always be....who decides?

Try this one on for size.....we execute(murder) all those:

without 4 year BS degrees,GPA 3.5+

with ANY physical defects.Vision not 20/20 near and far? Sorry...........

IQ below 130?,sorry

all those who did not achieve above 95% relative status
within chosen fields?......Officers only---sorry,no enlisted.

I think you get the idea.Eugenics has already been tried (many times).
Think of such garden spots as Nazi Germany.

Beware of simple (e.g. STUPID) ideas.
Under this (admittedly) rather harsh set of screens,I would still be here.
(How many reading this can say the same?)

Addicts are human beings.If this fact escapes anyone---they have far greater
psycho-social issues than can be addressed inside the purview of 'soberrecovery.com'

There is a reason why nobody ever brings up how much money the Nazis saved.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi guys, a few responces;

Cynical (perfect nic for this post!) said: "Yet it's a God given right that most people can have children and raise them....."

Yup. It is. It's also covered under the phrase "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happyness."

Speedy said: "That is going to do nothing in the long run."

Actually, given massive governmental control to achieve and then maintain the goal, nearly any population charicteristics could be increased or decreased through eugenics. As those slightly aggressive control freaks known as Nazi's used to say, its mearly a matter of "applied biology." Of course, "unexpected negitive consequences" would surely result, because that's what happens whenever a strong central government and a tiny minority of self appointed control freaks start micromanaging the lives of the people.

Abide said: "Lets face the fact that some people should never have children because this will bring generations of non productive drains of society."

You and I both know of psychopaths that will jump at this logic to conclude, on a large scale, that some folks shouldn't have been born at all....and that the elderly aren't contributing economic units anymore, so they need to go too. Once human life is devalued in such a way, commodified if you will, the doors are open to a fundamentally anti-American evil. I have a lot more problems with lazy criminals of normal intelligence then with lazy folks that have disabilities; in fact, the latter are some of the best and most honest workers out there....

Vale said: "An old, discredited argument. Eugenics is a very appealing idea to
the low,the uneducated,and the hateful---and always will be.The crux
of the matter will always be....who decides?
"

Yes, it's as old as the logic of animal husbandry, but just as crediable. I would say it's very appealing to those don't believe in Liberty and the scantity of human life...note, however, the "low, uneducated, and hateful" were easily the targets of the eugenics when the concept was mainstream in academia.

"Beware of simple (e.g. STUPID) ideas."

It's not stupid, it's just evil. There is a difference. Calling it stupid requires the creation of falsehoods in order to demonize the opposition, along with bans on freedom of academic expresson to prevent the spread of "dangerious ideas." Evil is simply wrong because it is wrong. Perhaps this explains international academia's love of political correctness and speech codes--they don't believe in good or evil, rather only in "dangerious" and safe ideas.

"Under this (admittedly) rather harsh set of screens,I would still be here.
(How many reading this can say the same?
)"

Me for one. But that has zero to do with me being right or wrong about any given thing, ever. Its the reasoning and data behind a conclusion that determine its accuracy, not the charictoristics of the speaker.

I point out again Value, your conclusions were right on the money; it's the contamination of the points you used to get there with statements that would produce a hostile emotional reaction in those who would disagree with you that is a bit less then ideal.

Have a good day folks~~~
Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Scrambled2012,

I agree,and stand corrected.

Vale
Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

According to the Project Prevention mission statement; it encourages people to make responsible birth control choices. 62% of responders choose BC, not sterilization.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My XABF is a horrible father, but our daughter is an amazing, beautiful, perfect little 23 month old. I feel sick to my stomach reading this
I don't think anyone has the right to play 'HP' by offering money for sterilisation. If I had it my way, I would assassinate every DV perpetrator.. But apparently that's not allowed either.