Is suboxone a crutch??

Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My RABF said he had to sign something saying that he knew that his psych doctor would be checking the pharmacy records and that she would report him if he was obtaining pain pills and subs.

On the other hand, from the ASD's words, her doctor didn't seem to require much of anything to get the subs. Although, that could be excuses and manipulation from ASD.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I removed two posts here. Please let's keep this civil and try to stay on topic and not attack each others opinions.

Thank you.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My daughter is a 24 year old recovering IV addict (dilaudid) for 2 years now and she's on subs. It's all between her and her doctors (medical and therapy) and none of my business.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
My daughter is a 24 year old recovering IV addict (dilaudid) for 2 years now and she's on subs. It's all between her and her doctors (medical and therapy) and none of my business.
That's awesome! For you to be able to completely let go..must so freeing and so healthy. I hope to be there someday and soon!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My son takes subs, and in comparison to what his life was before taking the subs, I have to say they have saved his life. Would I prefer he take nothing? Oh yes! But it's none of my business how he chooses to try and improve his life. Subs gave him the ability to make clearer decisions rather than ones made while either high or in withdrawals ( neither of those being a stable frame of mind)

I'd also prefer he invest himself in a recovery program...but that hasn't occurred either.

Maybe it's different from a parent's view? I just want my son to be able to live a productive life without the insanity of drugs and their effects, and subs allows for that. I'm not sure how I would feel if I was committed/committing to sharing a life with someone dependent on a maintanence drug.

Just my thoughts...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

If my husband had used suboxone and it had kept him clean for the most part, I would have loved it. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Even while on suboxone, he did some very underhanded things....as if planning for his next relapse. I never saw it coming and was devastated by the lies, the manipulation and the underhandedness. So it's really not about the suboxone. For him, suboxone only helped him through the withdrawals and him abstain for a short period.

MY AH has a very addictive personality. Everything he does is excess. He doesn't take 1-2 Advil, he takes 6. He doesn't buy 1-2 lottery tickets, he spends over $100/wk. His love of golf, is twisted in a world of gambling (I now call it golfaling). He still blows money on nothing.

And here is the sad part, I knew much of this for years. I tried to control it as much as I could..guilt, lectures, etc. And I had always been fairly successful at it until he became in total control of the money and his addiction progressed.

His whole life style is not what I want anymore. I am not saying it is wrong. Some people really enjoy living for today and in some ways I admire that. However, I am saying it's not what I want anymore.

Yesterday, he was off golfaling and I looked at my daughters car and her front tires were bald. I have accepted his "all about him" ways far too long...for ME and my family.

I am not sure if his lifestyle and irresponsibility has all to do with his addiction. I am still learning. But what I do know, it's OK to know what I want and it's not OK to stick my head in the sand any longer. We aren't getting any younger and I want some kind of security now.

In many ways, he is still providing although we are separated. He has put money (but keeps 3/5 of it for himself) in my account and I appreciate what he does give. I use that money for bills, tires and our basic needs...not our wants. Yet he is off living like a 20 year old bachelor but wants his family too. I just don't think that is possible...for me!! Addiction or not, he can not have his cake and eat it too anymore.

P.S. When he told my 18 yr old daughter he was back taking suboxone, she just rolled her eys and said "yeah, ok because that did nothing before but trick us all."

I am not saying suboxone is not useful, I am just saying it wasn't in His recovery.
It was just another way to manipulate me and I fell hook line and sinker. Now if he is taking it and starts a program, maybe I will feel different.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

In the beginning I was against my daughter being on maintenance meds. I started to change my view when I accepted addiction as a disease. My daughter has chronic Hep C and may be on meds for the rest of her life.

I reminded myself I never had a problem when my dad eventually transitioned into full type 2 diabetes requiring insulin. He was pre diabetic for about 15 years but wouldn't commit to changing his eating habits until it was too late. I didn't judge him for his sugar addiction, I loved and accepted him.

But it's so different with narcotics because of the behaviors associated with it!

I've asked myself how I would feel if my husband developed an addiction to pain killers, ended up on maintenance meds. It's a very real possibility because of his addictive personality and our business (construction). He manages his addictive personality in very healthy productive ways, but he and our son (another addictive personality) are both always just one horrible work related accident away from disaster.

My son is finally considering throwing in the towel and having some work done on his back. He's had a herniated disc since he was 16 and has degenerative disc disease. He's fully aware of his addictive personality, we all are thanks to my daughter, and the dangers associated with opiates.

At some point I'll have to throw in the towel and get my knee replaced (needed it done 15 years ago), and I have an elbow requiring surgery right now that I'm also blowing off. Like my husband and son, I avoid opiates like the plague.

Summing it all up, I have no idea what the future holds for any of us, but I do have clarity. I don't have a problem with dependence, I have a problem with active addiction and dry drunk syndrome. From hard earned experience, I know how to deal with it.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I felt relief when ASD was on the Subs, but unfortunately, she went back to the heroin. I know she wasn't clean on the Subs, but at least she wasn't injecting stuff in her veins. Right now she is on methadone. It's not the best situation, but it is still better than the heroin. She is also in rehab, so hopefully she'll use the tools she's been taught.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
But in most cases, I think it just helps addicts sustain temporarily and not really recover.
Yes.

My AXBF is not treating the addiction. By taking suboxone, he is treating the effects and symptoms; the painful withdrawals and cravings. He continues to use heroin.

In his situation, the prescription is extremely expensive. He doesn't have a job, and I would THINK he'd cherish the subs if/when he was able to pick up a prescription. Nope. I've seen him take subs for several consecutive days (as many as he wanted to take) and go back to heroin. Only to repeat the cycle.

I should add that my AXBF says he doesn't need a program or rehab, he needs to detox with suboxone and he will be okay.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

"I should add that my AX BF says he doesn't need a program or rehab, he needs to detox with suboxone and he will be okay."

Yeah ok, how long will he be OK? pfftttt My husband is taking suboxone, still taking pain pills and is now drinking heavily. What a deadly cocktail and there is NOTHING I can do about it!! Oh wait, if I let him come home....he will change. Silly me, I forgot!!

Can you tell I am in a bitter stage??