Extreme Bi Polar

Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extreme Bi Polar

My elder daughter is EXTREMELY bi polar.

I've told her, threatened her, every possible way to tell her to get help. She's all fine and dandy until she has a drink.

The monster within appears. It's like the hulk. She turns into a horroble monster and tries to destroy everything and everyone who loves her and then blames them for what she does.

Last night, she calls me desperately, mom I'm bleading, please come over.

I get in the car right away and go to her apartment. She's gone, her boyfriend is there. So, I talk to him. He said she'd been drinking, started a fight over something, anything, she can just pull out of a hat some thought and create a lava mountain out of it. She took a knife, cut herself, screemed on top of her lungs about how nobody understands her, everyone is against her, nobody loves her, etc.....

Mind you, not even two days before, she told me they were planning to get married and she was happy as an easter bunny. Even the next day she called and we talked normally, noting amiss in the conversation.

BOOM! all of a sudden everyone hates her and everyone is her enemy.

Since she wasn't there, I talked to her boyfriend for a bit, and he said he loves her tremedeously, but don't know what to do when she gets this way and attacks her than claims, "abuse".

I know she's lying because she's done that so many times before.

I told him the only way things will get better if she commits herself to psychiatric care.

By the time I got home, she was there, parked in my drive way. That's when the real abuse came. She came out of the car, started accusing me of all kinds of things, calling me bitch, and that I'm old and she hopes I die soon anyway, she was in my face and shoved me down, and I fell on my back on the cemented drive way. She had her 5 yr old daughter in the back seat, what it looked like sleeping, but I know Lexy was just pretending to sleep to keep out of the "hell" surrounding her.

Then after accusing everyone in the family being against her and calling everyone bastards and evil, she says "here, take your grandaughter", I know you want her and you think you can be a better mother to her, I know you'll turn her against me, because you're evil.

She then started to look for a piece of paper, trashed every drawer around the computer, blood dripping from her arm, where she said her boyfriend stabbed her, but believe me, those cuts are "self inflicted", then she said forget it, and went out and said take your grandaughter.

What I said was, no you take her out of the car and hand her to me. The reason I said that was because I knew if I took her out of the car, she was going to say, that I took Lexy away from her, that's why I demanded for her to take her out and hand her to me.

She finally did it, and I took Lexy quickly to my room and covered her and hopefully made her feel safe.

She kept blaming her boyfriend for everything, but when I asked her, then why were you so happy to announce your wedding not even two days before. She then says, well things can change in one day.

Bull freakn sh...it.

I can't even go to work today, I'm so emotionally exhausted, and I'm keeping Lexy at home from school, because last night's episode left us all emotionally sick.

I have hit the last draw. I'm thinking of how to approach her and tell her that she's not allowed in my house, near my house nor to talk to me, unless it's about her getting psychiatric help.

This is beyond acceptable. I kept my demeanor callm and non responsive because I knew if I said anything at all, it would be like putting gas on fire, just flare her more. I just wanted for her madness to settle down and for her to leave.

Lexy is here today, and I'm trying to make her feel safe and comfortable as best as I can, just loving her.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am sorry this has happened, is there some reason that you did not call the police when she pushed you down?

Has child protective services ever been called on her? This is a very unhealthy enviorment for a child.

Hope that you can calm down and enjoy your granddaughter.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whew that sounds exhausting. She pushed you to the ground. Let's see.....she had been drinking with her daughter in the car and she drove off.....intoxicated. She's injured (self inflicted) and irrational.

911 is a resource when things are spiraling out of control. She sounds like she is a danger to herself and others.....most importantly her daughter.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this difficult situation. You, your daughter and your dear granddaughter will be in my prayers.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Kiki...

As someone with a mood disorder, I feel for you, and I feel for your daughter. Bipolar can be a monster, especially if the patient isn't taking their meds, or they're self-medicating with drugs or alcohol. I've seen people that are manic who are just completely off the wall. It's a dreadful illness. Unfortunately, there is little you can do at this point to help your daughter. What she needs is to be hospitalized and have her meds (if any) adjusted or changed, but if she's not cooperating, going in-patient isn't likely to happen. Bipolar can be managed effectively, but only if the patient is cooperating and doing the necessary things to take care of herself.

As KindEyes said, 911 is your best option if she shows up. If she's off the wall, she can (and will) be hospitalized involuntarily. Protect yourself, protect your grandaughter. No more games.

Best,
ZoSo
Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You keep threatening to take her to court about Lexy, but you don't do it. So of course she doesn't believe you. It's just a silly manipulative threat on your part.

And you are worried that if you do, you won't see Lexy. But a judge will decide that, not her, if you take her to court. And yes, maybe the judge will decide you don't see Lexy. Courts do not put the best interests of children first. They put parental rights first and family reunification first. But taking this to the courts and to CPS will have one benefit even if you don't see Lexy again: Lexy's situation will be monitored. It will be documented. Probably eventually she'll end up with you, but it's always a struggle to get kids away from addicted crazy parents unless the parents give them up voluntarily.

You think psychiatric confinement is the answer to your daughter's problem. But that's not likely. Even if you can get her committed for 28 days or 90 days, she has so many problems they are going to take years to resolve. Bipolar plus addiction plus personality disorders plus life skill deficits plus anger management problems. And it's only fixable IF your daughter wants it fixed--which she doesn't. Psychiatric hospitals don't have secret magic wands that they tap you on the forehead 3 times and fix you (my mother also thinks that 'treatment' works this way too). There's really no point in her going to a psych hospital until she wants to check herself in. They are terribly expensive even with insurance, and usually don't work. Your daughter is not fixable until she wants to be fixed. Right now she thinks the world has to be fixed not her. I wish her luck on that.

All this abuse stuff is just ridiculous. She hurts herself and claims her boyfriend stabbed her. He's a fool if he has anything to do with her after that. He's going to end up in jail for something he didn't do. But of course, he gives her black eyes. And she provokes him and attacks him and he attacks her, and frankly, they deserve each other. They both deserve to be in jail. Thank god they are venting their insanity and violence on each other rather than the innocent people. And as indignant as you are about him giving her black eyes, his mother has the same right to be indignant about your daughter attacking her son. Neither of them is better than the other.

The only one in the family who is innocent is Lexy. Eventually their violence is not just going to be psychological and emotional towards her. Eventually they are going to hurt her directly. This is such an ugly, ugly situation. Kids with addicted parents really do get scr*wed.

I can't tell you what to do, only what I'd do, but I had a son knock me down too, and I went completely no contact with him even though he was homeless (he figured out someone else to mooch off of). I don't have a grandchild being held hostage, but with an addicted mentally ill parent, nothing gets better until either the parent decides to heal themselves or until outside authority steps in and takes charge of the situation.

In your shoes (and I'm not and can't tell you what YOU should do, only what I'd do), I'd stop threatening my daughter with court action and just quietly do it. I'd talk to a lawyer, file a petition asking for custody or evaluation or whatever the atty tells you you should ask for to make a permanent change in Lexy's circumstances, and also ask in the meantime while the case is being determined that you have formal visitation based on the pattern of visits you currently have with Lexy (every weekend?). This will prevent your daughter from cutting off all contact with Lexy. You have to talk to a lawyer.

But I'd certainly stop fighting with my daughter and certainly stop threatening her. "I'm going to take you to court" is just asking for a terrible reaction from her. You are not obligated to tell her before you do it. Disengage from her mutually violent relationship with her boyfriend; you will never be able to fix that. That's how they both choose to live, and they re-chose it every day. Sick, but god gives them free will too I guess.

In your shoes I'd focus my money and efforts on my granddaughter. First on legal fees to get her out of there if you can, and then on counseling for her to repair the damage of living with craziness and violence for the first 5 years of her life has done to her.

Where is Lexy's father? I assume he's out of the picture and in a situation no better than your daughter's situation?

I'm so sorry for your troubles. I've heard it said, it's hell to have a boy or girlfriend with addiction. It's double hell to have a spouse with addiction. It's hell beyond hell to have children with and be financially dependent upon an addict. But all that is a Day at Disney compared with witnessing an innocent child you love trapped by someone else's addiction and you having absolutely no power or authority to do anything to fix it. So you have my deepest empathy.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took off work today. I'm emotionally exhausted. Thank you all for your kind replies.

I'm kind of numb. Just relieved that it's quiet in the house at the moment.

What will I do on Monday with Lexy? She has to go to school. I have to work. I don't have the money to hire a lawyer.

I was wondering if, and it's just a thought, if I get a "restraining order" against her, and she shows up at court and I explain to the judge what's happening, and ask for her to keep away from me, but allow me my weekend visit with Lexy and also to ask the judge for her to get psychiatric help, as part of the deal. Do you think something like that would possibly work?

If she is forced to get psychiatric help, at least it's better than nothing.

If I get custody of Lexy, she'd have to change schools, I'd have to change my working hours. I guess we'd all have to adjust for the sake of Lexy. It won't be easy.

I'm just kind of lost today.

The thing is, not even few days ago, I had a talk w/her and she promised to get help, and that she would not drink. She was so happy about getting married, and right the next day it's like the world changed. I have never in my life seen someone go from one extreme to the other in such short span of time.

I asked her, if he's abusing you, why in the hell were you so happy to get married to him? She said, well, things change in one day. WTH? yea, right.

I've met this guy, he's not bad. She is the one that attacks first, then when they try to stop her, she gets bruises and says he attacked her first. She's done that before, so I know he's not making it up. And she's done it while living at home. So, I know it's not made up.

What am I going to do on Monday?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found this email she probably wrote last night when she got back.

dear family,

I love you guys. tell alexis that her mom was crazy and couldnt take it anymore. tell her that her mom was just not meant to deal with the pain and horror of life anymore. krsytal, i want you tao take care of lexi for me. be a good auntie to her and don't let mom try to control you. and control what you do for her. that's how i ended up here ok. i love you both, even though at one time mom, you didn't love me and krystal enough to get us away from the devil. i understand that you really don't love us that much, but love brian more and love lexi more. my question to you is....what did i ever do to you to make you love me so much less. what did i do to deserve the life you gave me mom. why did you do this to me. why did you do this to me and krystal. even though i still love you both......goodnight,,,,,goodbye.....i love you my sis i love you my bean
she's claiming that I love my other daughter 23, and son 16, more than her, and Lexy my grandaughter. My other daughter and my son are claiming that I love HER more than them, cuz I put up with so much from her and still help her out. So who's right?

I'm controlling her. How? By helping her out all the time, and trying to make her be accountable for her actions? That's control? Because we kicked her out of the house, because she was driving everyone insane, doing the same stuff, she now does on her own. It was like living in a mental asylum with her arround. Nobody wanted to come home any more.

But, she still loves us all. OM freakn God!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sounds like a suicide email to me.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

what should I tell them? I don't know if she's even at home. She might have put herself together this morning, after sobering up, and went to work. If they come to her job, she'll loose it for sure. Should they come after she comes home from work? What about her boyfriend, she'll blame it all on him, and he'll end up in jail. He has a good job. It could jepardise his job. He works in some kind of law enforcement. Not a cop. Something else, not sure what. I don't want him to be arrested, cuz I know she'll blame it all on him.

They'll both loose jobs, loose their apartment, and have he'll have a record which will be against him getting any kind of promotion.

I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if I don't.

She won't do suicide. She's too angry. Not depressed. She's filled with anger and wants to vent it on somebody, anybody that's near her, gets the "blows" from her manic episodes.

I still don't know what to do.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd print out the email then go to the PD and fill them in about last night and her being bipolar. I'd stop worrying about them and put all my focus on Lexy.

"I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if I don't."

I think I've only said this once to another person and it was in real life:

It isn't about you.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you think that Lexy changing schools would be harder for her than what she's living in now?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

On Monday, if not today, you go to the school and make an appointment with the school counselor and principal. You show the note and you fill them in on all the ugly details. You tell about the violence in the home, the drugs, the mental illness, the child hiding under the covers. You give them copies of the note.

They are mandated reporters, they will report it to CPS.

Then you leave Lexy at school (and they will probably have a nurse evaluate her and talk to her), and you go to CPS and you talk to a CPS person and tell everything.

Stop trying to get your daughter committed. The solution doesn't lie there. Her problems are so deep she'll have to be committed several times and cycle in and out through the system and try this drug and that and this treatment and that and this program and that. And none of it will stick because she doesn't even want it. Lexy doesn't have time for her mother to get better and learn to grow up and parent responsibly.

Don't go to the school and protect your daughter or her BF or try to figure out how to save everyone or keep everyone employed or keep their apartment for them. Just focus on Lexy. And also stop worrying about the injustice of your daughter blaming you for her problems. Blah, blah, blah, what else is new?

Focus on Lexy and having her monitored by the school and by the state. Make it clear to CPS that you are available. When you go to CPS ask for services not for your daughter but for YOURSELF, ask for what's available to you so you can be a support to your granddaughter. Let them know that you realize you have a massively dysfunctional family and you want to do YOUR part in fixing you, so if the time comes and Lexy has to be placed out of her home temporarily or permanently, you will be already approved by the state to take her in.

You might not be able to afford a lawyer, but the state can appoint one for Lexy (a guardian ad litem), and that's pretty much the same thing. Ask for a GAL for Lexy. Ask for services for Lexy. Ask for monitoring. Ask for evals. Ask for family counseling, family services, family support.

If you talk to the school the school will be on alert to watch for signs of neglect and stress and violence. They'll notice if she's clean, fed, absent, and picked up on time. Frankly schools can't do a lot, but they can witness for CPS and they are considered an unbiased witness.

You worry about your daughter losing her job and apartment. So what if she does? It just puts more pressure on her to leave Lexy with you while she finds another job, another place to live. It just makes it clearer to CPS and ultimately a judge that she's unstable and unfit for mothering in her present condition. As long as you enable your daughter and her boyfriend you enable them to mistreat Lexy.

By not protecting them from the consequences of the ugly truth of their lives, you are protecting their ability to neglect and mistreat Lexy. The way to protect Lexy is not to protect them.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
I found this email she probably wrote last night when she got back.

she's claiming that I love my other daughter 23, and son 16, more than her, and Lexy my grandaughter. My other daughter and my son are claiming that I love HER more than them, cuz I put up with so much from her and still help her out. So who's right?

I'm controlling her. How? By helping her out all the time, and trying to make her be accountable for her actions? That's control? Because we kicked her out of the house, because she was driving everyone insane, doing the same stuff, she now does on her own. It was like living in a mental asylum with her arround. Nobody wanted to come home any more.

But, she still loves us all. OM freakn God!!!
This is the highest, most sadistic form of manipulation: suicide threats.

If you think she's not safe, call 911.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

How are you doing Kiki.? I recall you having to take extra Xanax pills the last time an incident like this happened.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
what should I tell them? I don't know if she's even at home. She might have put herself together this morning, after sobering up, and went to work. If they come to her job, she'll loose it for sure. Should they come after she comes home from work? What about her boyfriend, she'll blame it all on him, and he'll end up in jail. He has a good job. It could jepardise his job. He works in some kind of law enforcement. Not a cop. Something else, not sure what. I don't want him to be arrested, cuz I know she'll blame it all on him.

They'll both loose jobs, loose their apartment, and have he'll have a record which will be against him getting any kind of promotion.
With your ability to read the future, you should play the lottery (not really).

You cannot control everything. You cannot manage when 'they' come for her before or after work, to his place or not. You cannot control who gets fired and who doesn't. You can't control the judge who's going to hear her story and put him in jail.

There's no basis for all this catastrophizing. You don't KNOW that she'll lose her job. And if she does, it won't be because some people show up and talk to her. It will be because she has a long pattern of problem behavior and they don't want her any more. You don't even know that her job will realize what it is going on even IF they show up at her job. They aren't in the business of embarrassing people and making them lose their jobs, they have confidentiality requirements, they are discrete, they investigate--they don't jump off the deep end and start shooting wildly. You aren't in charge of the CPS and are just going to have to leave it to them to do their job. You cannot control them, and should not. You don't know what you are doing in this area.

And you aren't in charge of her boss and if s/he decides to fire your daughter or not. Your daughter very well might have already lost her job, or she might lose it even if they don't come. The boss might find out that what is going on in your daughter's life and decide to keep her because he's short staffed or because he pays her less or because whatever is going on in her life it doesn't affect her work. Or he might fire her because this is the last straw. But if it's the last straw, then she's going to be fired anyway, because if this doesn't turn out to be the last straw, something else will. He's got a business to run. It's his business and he will run it his way. It's not your job to manage his business for him. You can't control this, and don't know how it will turn out or take any responsibility for your daughter's employment. This is between the two of them, not between the three of you. It's her job to be a good employee. It's his job to run a good business. None of it has anything to do with you.

If she ends up fired it's whose fault? Hers. And it's her problem.

So what if she blames everything all on her boyfriend? How do you know he'll end up in jail? Are you in charge of the judge who decides who goes to jail and who doesn't? How do you know SHE won't end up in jail? How do you know either will go to jail? How do you know it will even go before a judge? Don't you think he'll blame everything on her? You can't control and manage this. It's not in your jurisdiction. It's beyond your power.

And what makes you think he'll lose his job? You don't even know what his job is. Your are making assumptions all over the place. If he's a bad employee and they have no confidence in him, they will fire him. That's their RIGHT. He understands more clearly than you do what's required of him to keep his job. If he wants to keep his job, he will fulfill those requirements. If he doesn't care much, he will be careless about fulfilling those requirements. Why should you take it upon yourself to care more about his employment status that he does? It's his responsibility to keep himself employed, not yours. If your daughter is a threat to his job, then HE gets to decide if he wants to risk it or not. HE gets to decide, NOT YOU.

Nor do you get to make decisions for your daughter's boyfriend's employer. They get to decide. Maybe they'll decide to ignore it. Maybe they'll decide to informally counsel him. Maybe they will decide to put him on probation or suspension. And maybe they will decide to fire him. If he has a well paid position of authority, they have more to consider than just your little family's problems. Maybe he SHOULD be fired. But this is not your decision. This is not for you to manage, this is not in your control.

Then you are concerned about your daughter's housing situation. How is this your problem. It's the leaseholder's job to pay the rent, and if they don't have jobs, then it's up to them to find the money somewhere else, borrowing it, or maybe even get new jobs. If they can't pay it's up to the landlord to decide what to do about it. Will he work something out or evict them, will he ask them to leave or file papers with a judge. If he evicts them, will they get new jobs and be able to pay before the eviction goes through? This is up to them, not you. Maybe they would be evicted anyway if they have drug problems and fight and are violent with each other. It's not your responsibility to keep them housed, it's THEIRS. They follow the rules (the same ones you and I manage to follow), they have housing, they don't follow the rules, they risk not having housing. Why is this your problem? And how is it you are so sure anything you do can cause them to retain or lose housing? The people making the decisions about this are your daughter, her boyfriend, the landlord and the eviction judge and whomever else they might involve to borrow money from or choose to move to if they have to get another place to live.

It has nothing to do with you.

Look at all the people you are trying to manipulate decisions for: the CPS, your daughter, her boyfriend, your daughter's employer, the police who decide to arrest or not arrest your daughter and/or her boyfriend, the judge who may or may not put them in jail, or bail them out, or release them on their own recognizance, your daughter's employer, her boyfriend's employer, the landlord, and the eviction judge if any, and anyone else who might decide or not to help them out, and add in a competency judge who might decide or not if your daughter needs to be committed....

3 or 4 judges, two adults, 2 employers, CPS, the police, and a landlord...

Heck, I can understand why you need 4 xanax--you are trying to control way too much --and worse yet, you are trying control people and institutions you have absolutely no power over. You are King Alfred who stood on the beach and tried to get the waves to stop rolling in on the beach. It didn't work for him, and it won't work for you.

You need to regroup and rethink this. All you have a responsibility for is yourself, the truth as you know it (what YOU have experienced and observed, not what your daughter, her boyfriend, etc... might have experienced), and your granddaughter. If you are married, you have a responsibility to your husband. You have no legal responsibility for your granddaughter, only a moral one.

Make decisions only in YOUR best interest, that of your husband and your granddaughter. Let the chips fall where they may with everyone else. Believe it or not, they are all adults and except for your daughter, competent to make good decisions too.

Let them.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Heck, I can understand why you need 4 xanax--you are trying to control way too much --and worse yet, you are trying control people and institutions you have absolutely no power over. You are King Alfred who stood on the beach and tried to get the waves to stop rolling in on the beach. It didn't work for him, and it won't work for you.

you are right. I'm figuring out every possible outcome with every decision to the point of "when are they going to change their underwear".

Ok, I'll slow down.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
How are you doing Kiki.? I recall you having to take extra Xanax pills the last time an incident like this happened.
yea, had 4 already this morning and it just calmed my stomach from exploding, otherwise, my mind is still spinning.

thanks for asking.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
This is the highest, most sadistic form of manipulation: suicide threats.

If you think she's not safe, call 911.
It is.

I hate to say this, but yesterday, I almost felt like "go ahead" it would be a lot easier for everyone.

Now that's sick, coming from a mother.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's important you keep your head on straight. There's a lot at stake. You can control only you.

ZoSo
Old 04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm taking some of your suggestions.

I'm planning to take Lexy to school on Monday. Then I will speak to the principle and explain what is going on.

I know once the child services come to her house, she'll blame me first, maybe threaten me, or herself as usual, but I've got to get the ball rolling before it gets worse.

What she did last night is past the point of forgiveness.