Over reacting

Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over reacting

I never used to over react to stuff until my RAD hit puberty. She over reacted to everything as a hormonal teenager, and then I eventually started doing it, too, when she wouldn't stop. My mom and sister always over reacted to everything, too, and I avoided them like the plague after my parents separated. Unfortunately I developed a tolerance with my daughter but, on the flip side, thankfully she's the only one.

I knew I turned a corner last year, when I watched a friend talking really loud at someone else that was fuming after a football game (we lost). Finally I calmly asked him what was going on, he said he was trying to calm them down. Then I loudly asked THEN WHY ARE YOU YELLING and bust out laughing. Thankfully he did too, along with everyone else.

Anyway, I texted my daughter today, asked if she filed her taxes. She forgot, asked why I waited so long to remind her and generally freaked out. Thank goodness it was all texts LOL

I said no one ever reminded me to do my taxes, but I wasn't a dingbat, either (no, I didn't text that last part to her). Then I told her she wouldn't face any penalties because she doesn't owe, if she didn't get it in before midnight. Then I said, "I hope you'll calm down now, it is what it is" with a smiley face.

She apologized for over reacting and blaming me, but the important part is that I discovered I'm allergic again, and very happy about it
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Allergic again?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - my niece called stepmom today, raising hell because she didn't know where her W2 was? Wanted information about her last year's taxes, so sm calls dad, he talks to ME (because I have more of a brain) and I found her last return.

Sm was telling dad she didn't know why SHE was getting blamed by the brat and I said "her taxes are her problem". I guess she got it figured out, as when she just popped in to get sm, I asked her and got a very short "yeah".

I'm trying hard to not overreact to stuff, too, and when others do? I've gotten pretty good with saying "conversation over" and leaving the room or putting in my ear buds and turning on my mp3 player if I happen to be in a vehicle with dad.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, kf2. I'm allergic again to over reacting and there are no exceptions. Some people are wound a little more tight than me, and that's ok. I can't and won't deal with them when they get wound up, but it doesn't mean I love them any less

Amy, a good run is always better than a bad stand lol. I'm just happy for you that you have self awareness. I'm happy for my daughter that she does, too. It may or may not be a learned habit, it could be from a host of things. But self awareness makes all the difference to me
Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Love your post, Chino. I was always a "reactor" and excitable. Yet I have always really disliked loud voices or voices raised in anger, or people that snapped back at such little things. The thing is, "I" was just like them and it wasn't pretty.

Recovery has taught me to take pause along with a deep breath before I respond to anything. I'm a calm person today, actually it is almost comical because when a storm is brewing "I" am the one to calm things down.

We live, we learn...it's a good process.

Hugs