SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Praying for a new beginning (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/254002-praying-new-beginning.html)

princess1983 04-12-2012 07:17 AM

Praying for a new beginning

My partner and I just celebrated our one year anniversary on April 8th.

She's an addict.

A few days ago she made the decision to go to rehab. She was supposed to be there at 9 am. She asked that I not be the one to drop her off because it would only hurt us both more.

It's now 9:20 am and I'm driving myself insane wondering if she actually went.

I know her going to rehab is NOT going to be a "cure all" and I know things won't be easy.

I love her with all of my heart and only want her clean so that we can enjoy a future together.

outtolunch 04-12-2012 07:33 AM

She made the choice to go to rehab on her own and it's her choice to follow through or not. Please give her the dignity of living her life as she sees fit to do.

Regardless of what she does or not, does it make some sense to consider getting help for yourself cause loving someone who is addicted takes a toll.

Therapy and/or Ananon offer opportunities to learn new skills and avoid emeshing your sanity/stability with outcomes you do not control.

princess1983 04-12-2012 07:41 AM

Devastated

She didn't show up.

My relationship is over.

:c020:

princess1983 04-12-2012 07:48 AM

I'm so very sad. My heart really is broken.

ABIDEBYLAW 04-12-2012 07:52 AM

Better fish in the sea.... adios to her!

GoldfishSyn 04-12-2012 08:32 AM

It is heartbreaking to love someone who does not love themself.

JMFburns 04-12-2012 01:00 PM

princess,

Welcome to SR. I'm so sorry for what has brought you here.

tjp613 04-12-2012 02:41 PM

She is probably testing to see how firm your boundaries are about this..... so your response to this situation is important to both of you. Please think carefully.

She also might need to sleep on it for another night. Or...when she sees your boundaries are firm and that it's a pretty lonely world without you in it....she may decide to go.

But as everyone has said, rehab is no guarantee. My son's been to rehab or detox 3-4 times now in the past 4 years. Longest time span he remained clean on his own was a couple of months.

I'm sorry to be such a downer, but most times that's the way it is. :( Drugs suck.

dollydo 04-12-2012 03:44 PM

Keep your bounderies in place, you are not powerful enough to do anything about her addiction...she is an adult and has made her choice....yet again...she is not ready, just bump'n her gums. Actions...not words.

I, too, am sorry for your pain, however, you will be fine...one day at a time...left, right, left, right.