SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Question about relapse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/253030-question-about-relapse.html)

bookreader 04-01-2012 01:47 PM

Question about relapse

My AS (oxy) stayed in rehab but is now out. He left with the ok and support of the staff at the rehab and starts IOP in two days. I'm learning a lot, but have two 'technical' questions: how long does someone have to stop suboxone to use and feel the effects; and is detox always horrible or does it depend on how long you have used.... Hope those make sense. Thanks for any and all help.

Windmills 04-01-2012 02:17 PM

To the best of my knowledge, if someone skips their subs in the morning they can get the full effect of using the same day. Withdrawals aren't really a huge issue until there is physical dependency. I don't think you need to worry about how you'll know he's using; you'll know. If he wants to use then he will use, you worrying or stressing over it is just focusing on the future instead of the here and now. One day at a time. what are your boundaries?
What are you doing for you? Instead of focusing on his recovery, which he needs to own, what about working extra hard on your own recovery? :)

bluebelle 04-01-2012 04:16 PM

I'm not sure how long the suboxone works. I assume he's taking it after rehab? The withdrawal from pain meds makes people seems like they have a bad flu. I think docs have people taper off the suboxone so that the withdrawel isn't really bad.

TMZ 04-01-2012 04:23 PM

Form my experience they use the sub to lesson the withdraws but can use the same day. Detox is always hard and that is why the go back to the drug. the thing is once they are detoxed they need to say away from the drug. But as windmills has said: leave that to the addict and not focus on that part of it. You need to work on you and how you handle the addict. Not so much on there problem, more on life in general and how you two connect.

You need to have rules / boundaries with them and not allow them to walk all over you. I recommend you get it in writing and then it is clear. There recovery is theres and ours is ours to deal with. Focus on you and what you need, they will follow suit. This is a life long disease and he must deal with it on his own!!!! And he will, if you just let go and let God.

Have you been to Nar-anon for your own help?

outtolunch 04-01-2012 04:37 PM

This is a good question to pose to the Md. who prescribes the subs.

Be aware that it common for people to sell or trade their subs for cash or their drug of choice or some other drug.

lonelystar 04-01-2012 06:33 PM

I have found that addicts sometimes substitute the subs until they can get there hands on the DOC, and yes there are withdrawal symptoms of subs, I have been told a slow taper off is the best way to go as for rehab it all depends on the person i guess what they used and how long and how there body reacts

incitingsilence 04-01-2012 07:50 PM

Variables, there are a lot of variables, habit before the fact, present sub dose…everything can and will be individualized….one thing is for certain sub will not stop anyone from using who wants to and yet it is an awesome for those who want out.

Withdrawal will be individualized as well, many factors, some include habit and years in since sub is more a last house on the street type option...

There are no easy answers with sub, it is a most fascinating and complicated drug that works very well and is forgiving in the end for those who choose to do it all wrong, it still seems to remain an option when one is ready.

Is there any reason you are looking for a relapse before it happens? Not a real healthy place to be.

Windmills 04-01-2012 11:21 PM

I think I misunderstood the detox part. Detox from subutex and methadone is really bad, my ex says its harder to get off than heroin. Even small reductions are bad. However if he skips his subs in the morning and uses another opiate, he won't withdraw.

bookreader 04-02-2012 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone.

incitingsilence - I am so new to this all I can think about is possible relapse. Intellectually I know that it is his recovery, emotionally I am not there yet. I know I need to get help and will try to find a nar-anon. Thanks for your help.

incitingsilence 04-03-2012 07:14 AM

Definitely find some support for you!

And try not to drive yourself nuts, while I am not sure how I feel about sub being such a first line approach for many, the few young adults I personally know on sub are doing well and moving on with their lives including my son …

Do yourself a big favor, stay away from the bad stories about sub…Know that any drug can be abused it
isn’t even at times about a high, but the compulsion to take something to calm ones head…keep this simple.

Also DO NOT share any bad stories with your child. Trust me here, there is an important reason that goes toward how psychologically wd can be tripped and worse than it is the fact that many real bad experiences can be picked apart and what is found is usually the addict still driving the bus…they didn’t listen to their doctors ( or had idiots for doctors ), they didn’t follow the rules, they didn’t attempt to work on themselves and so many jump too high and in many cases allowed themselves to make decisions based on another's experience, which might have been skewed. Everyone’s experience coming off with be in a lot of ways based on them, how accepting they are that this is what has to be, how healthy they got physically, mentally and spiritually while on sub … always stay positive when you speak to him and encourage him to find his way in it all … Know he can.

Know also that you will be ok, and even faster if you allow yourself to be.

Take good care of you!