Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

I learned recently that my daughter-in-law is a drug addict and need advice.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two days ago, my son called me to tell me that my daughter-in-law was going to a rehab center for drug addiction. They have a 10 year old son. He knows where his mom is and why. Although I was not totally surprised to learn of her drug use, I was surprised that it was as severe as it is. I have never experienced dealing with a drug addiction and would appreciate any advice you can provide.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. this site has helped me cope with my sons addition. read all around & keep coming back. this program teaches us that this is the addicts problem & we can not change them. they have to be ready to want to stop using & if they r not there is nothing we can do. i hope your d.i.l. is ready. keep us posted on how she is doing. again read around there is alot of infomation here. good luck,
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This may be one of the few places on earth where we are happy when someone goes to rehab, but you see, it's a good start and offers hope for better days to come. Recovery is a long process and rehab is not a cure, but it will give her good coping tools to use to stay clean and sober when she leaves.

Take a read around and make yourself comfortable. I will keep your daughter-n-law and her family in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do not have any great advice, for now- I just wanted to welcome you here, and let you know your family is in my thoughts and prayers. You have a long road ahead.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When my AD spiraled out of control, I was very grateful that my MIL was very supportive and non-judgmental.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You are obviously a good MIL because you went to the trouble to come here and seek out information. That's a positive step. I think being informed on addiction and aware of resources for families of addicts is also helpful. In my case I have a 27 year old son who is an addict, not in recovery, but has been to rehab many times.

There's a lot of good information on this site. All the stickys are well worth reading. Many I have printed and I re-read them. This is a good place to vent and know you'll not be judged. Stick around, it's a good place. I'll keep your family in my prayers.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to this site and feel free to speak about what ever is on your mind, we are here to help. I strongly suggest going to Al-Anon meetings.
I will pray for you and your family