SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Not All Of Them Make It (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/252086-not-all-them-make.html)

zoso77 03-21-2012 08:44 PM

Not All Of Them Make It

For some reason, I received a death notice tonight regarding of my AXGF's friends in NA. He died of an overdose yesterday. He was only 25 or 26.

My AXGF and I were apart for some time in October and November. It was this person that read her the riot act regarding her behavior towards me. He called her out on her baloney, and when she wanted to reconcile, she told me he encouraged her to do so. He didn't understand that she is Borderline. He was hospitalized over the holidays after picking up. He wasn't doing well, and obviously after my AXGF and I broke up, I haven't received updates as to how he was doing.

I don't think it matters how much work we do to become healthier people when we're touched by a loved one's addiction. I don't think anything can prepare us for when someone we either know or love dies so young. On the one hand, he's now with God, and his pain is no more. But what of those he left behind? What of his father? His family? His friends?

Maybe the lesson is we never know what's around the corner, and that we should always appreciate who we have in our lives.

When I say my prayers at night, I pray for everyone on the board, especially the newcomers that find us and are in a lot of pain. Tonight, I'm going to pray for my AXGF's friend, his family, and for my AXGF. I've realized that although I want nothing to do with her ever again, if she was gone tomorrow, it would affect me quite a lot. It would be devastating.

Please say a prayer for him tonight.

ZoSo

CanfixONLYme 03-22-2012 12:28 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with him, his family ands friends and you this eve.

Hugs,

Windmills 03-22-2012 12:29 AM

Awfully sad. Sometimes the pit of addiction is just too deep. Thinking of him and his family :(

johnny2times 03-22-2012 12:31 AM

Rest in peace brother :(

Skye10 03-22-2012 01:06 AM

So sad....sorry to hear this:( will say a prayer...

December2011 03-22-2012 01:46 AM

Devastating, that breaks my heart. My 26 year old AS is out there living in the streets. That could just as easily have been him.

My prayers are for his family and Ty for your prayers for us.

Seren 03-22-2012 02:46 AM

:candle6D:

I'm so sorry to hear it, Zoso. I really, really, really hate addiction.

Ann 03-22-2012 04:35 AM

My son overdosed several times and could easily have crossed that line of no return. My heart is saddened and my prayers go out for this young man and all who loved him. May he rest in peace :candle:

Kindeyes 03-22-2012 06:40 AM

Prayers for you and this young man's family. It's always so sad to hear that this disease has taken another life.
gentle hugs
ke

Ilovemysonjj 03-22-2012 07:28 AM

Zoso, sending prayers and thoughts of peace to you and your friends family. There is no sense in losing someone , there is no way to justify it. Accept the pain you feel and the sense of loss of what could have been. Praying for all of the addicts who we love.
Love
Teresa

zoso77 03-22-2012 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj (Post 3330366)
Zoso, sending prayers and thoughts of peace to you and your friends family. There is no sense in losing someone , there is no way to justify it. Accept the pain you feel and the sense of loss of what could have been. Praying for all of the addicts who we love.
Love
Teresa

There's a guy in Al Anon who's been around the block a few times. He's very, very wise man; whenever he shares in a meeting, what he says is must hear. At any rate, he lost a son last year, and when he speaks of him, there's two components to it. There's the Al Anon component, where he recognizes that his son was suffering and God took him back so he wouldn't be suffering anymore. And then there's the fatherly component, where he's grieving every day, where he knows his son isn't supposed to die before him.

I spoke with my AXGF's friend only a handful of times. He was a really nice kid who, unfortunately, was a heroin addict. And I'm trying to imagine what it was like for him those last moments of his life. What sort of pain drives someone to drugs? How alone did he feel? Why is it that some addicts find recovery and happiness while others can't get a grip on it and die?

I'll never understand it.

Impurrfect 03-22-2012 08:03 AM

(((Zoso))) - I'm so sorry. Sending up lots of prayers for all who loved this young man, and like you...I always pray for the people here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy