Of God and Psychiatrist - Part I

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Of God and Psychiatrist - Part I

I hadn't been to church in a long time; not since I moved here to finish school. Last fall I started thinking about maybe it would be nice to go back. I had mentioned it to BF, but he was rather neutral about the idea; probably would have went if I had insisted; but that's not really why your supposed to go; so I dropped it. Didn't really feel at the time like I wanted to go alone.

I talked about it again before Christmas; because well tis the season, and this church is kinda small and old fashioned; but to me it has ways just looked so peaceful and comforting. But well Xmas didn't work out for obvious reasons....

So last week one day, I was with BF and we passed by that church and I was looking at it. I didn't say anything to him, but I was thinking one day I will just get up enough courage to go by myself.

So yesterday, in the middle of day; BF asks if we could talk. He said that be had been thinking, and wanted me to know that he wasn't sure if he would ever be able to forgive God for taking away his son, but he had decided that if it was at all possible that God had helped get him out of the hell he had been living in a while back, and if God had anything to do with bringing me into his life; then maybe he could try to at least peacefully coexist with him. And then he asked me if I still wanted to try out the church I'd told him about; and if so was there enough time for HIM to do his hair, and pick out just the right thing to wear. I said yes, I thought HE would have enough time for that.

So today we went; and it was good. The people were friendly and the sermon was nice; and the atmosphere was peaceful just as I thought. A group of people invited us to go out for lunch with them, and it was a bit much all at once, but we had fun anyway.

Later we talked, and agreed that maybe we found something special at this little church; and we will take it slow with this new discovery, but together we will give it a try.

I just feel good about it and wanted to share. I'm proud of BF because I know he has really been working hard to release all the demons he has inside; losing his toddler to cancer; it broke him. And I think finally he is reaching some level of acceptance with this, and many of the things that came after.
Work in Progress.....
Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My AS brought me back to church when he was a teenager. It had been years since I had stepped inside a church. The best thing I ever did! It has been a difficult journey, but I do feel I have felt God walking with me through it all.

I love this quote by C. S. Lewis: “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”
Old 02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your post is overall about your BF but this stood out and impressed me about YOU:

Originally Posted by KelleyF View Post
So last week one day, I was with BF and we passed by that church and I was looking at it. I didn't say anything to him, but I was thinking one day I will just get up enough courage to go by myself.
Though it didn't happen that way, you recognized your limitation and made a decision to overcome it. That is progress
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great Kelley, I'm glad you and your BF have made another step together. I'm happy for you
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Your post is overall about your BF but this stood out and impressed me about YOU:

Though it didn't happen that way, you recognized your limitation and made a decision to overcome it. That is progress
Good point Chino. Id like to think that I would have actually went on my own one Sunday. Will take a while to really know if this church is right for me, but I would also like to think that if I find that it is what I need; then I will continue even if he decides that right now he cant handle the concept of church...

I dont normally have problems doing stuff on my own. I can even go into a white tablecloth place alone and eat. However I will admit its much easier when I have my ipad or something to accompany me.
But church just has always felt like a 'family' thing. I know thats not true and a lot of churches even focus on singles. But right now Im not looking, so Ive just felt that I would be sort of out of place. And this church is kinda small, so I knew there wouldnt be a wide variety of people to socialize with.

But anyway, it felt good to go back to church again. It was an uplifiting experince... shall we say.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just had to share... yesterday in the mail... I received this really beautiful handmade card from a whole group of the ladies from that church we attended on Sunday. It was just a thank you for coming; and hope you come back kind of thing... but it was so sweet. How cool is that?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds good to me. Maybe this group of women will offer you an outlet that has nothing to do with the struggles of being in a relationship with an addict. We all need places to go, groups to be a part of that we enjoy. Many of us lose sight of the fact that we have a life outside of addiction.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So this has nothing to do with addiction; but it's rather funny. *So yesterday me and BF missed church; I'll blame it on the time change...
We had a whole 2 week streak going - lol

While he is doing good trying to embrace the concept again; he tells me that this will be a test for the church people. He doesn't want a follow up call or Lord forbid - a visit. **

Well these don't seem like a group of radical Methodists, so I think we are safe.*

But I decided that I couldn't resist the opportunity to freak him out. *This morning I had one of my friends at work call his office first thing and pretend to be from the church - checking up on him. *After a couple minutes she told him that someone else wanted to speak to him also then she gave the phone to me. *OMG it was so funny; after he inappropriately mixed swear words with church; we both had a good laugh; as well as about 10 people at my work .*

Love Mondays.*
Have a good one everybody.*
Kel
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KelleyF View Post

But I decided that I couldn't resist the opportunity to freak him out.
Kel
So funny! I used to like to listen to the morning radio person who would pull practical jokes, calling people and pretending to be unhappy with what the person was doing or selling.

Maybe your church people were out canvassing my neighborhood and were too busy to call you! Yesterday while my husband and I were walking our dog, the God Squad was going door to door. They were on the opposite side of the street so we didn't have any interaction with them at first. However, when we turned to go down our street, there was another bunch of them. One couple was at our front door. We turned at the corner and went around another block and they were further down the street by the time we got back to our house.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kmangel View Post
So funny! I used to like to listen to the morning radio person who would pull practical jokes, calling people and pretending to be unhappy with what the person was doing or selling.

Maybe your church people were out canvassing my neighborhood and were too busy to call you! Yesterday while my husband and I were walking our dog, the God Squad was going door to door. They were on the opposite side of the street so we didn't have any interaction with them at first. However, when we turned to go down our street, there was another bunch of them. One couple was at our front door. We turned at the corner and went around another block and they were further down the street by the time we got back to our house.
That's funny! Last summer I was on my patio and these two women walked up from J.W I think. So I talked to them and they gave me
Pamphlets. Very nice people. But then they didn't stop.
I had like 3 more visits from people in that group. I avoided all of them by completely childish behavior. The last one BF and I were driving in, and they were at my door. So we just snuck in his door across the drive.
Then we peered out the window till they left. I know me bad...